Notices

New to the site

Old 10-23-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site

Hi, I'm a flight paramedic and I recently entered an intensive out patient program for opioid addiction. I was looking for a website for healthcare providers that are in a similar situation and found that SR.com had quite a few nurses on it with stories I could relate to, so I decided to join.
I was recently caught diverting narcotics from work and am facing criminal charges and loss of my paramedic license. I first became addicted during a fight with testicular, lung, and brain cancer in 2006. I developed radiation induced brain necrosis and was put on long term opiate treatment. After trying to come off of the prescription narcotics, I began diverting Fentanyl and was eventually caught and fired. Right now I'm at the lowest point in my life and was hoping I could communicate with people that have been through what I'm in the middle of right now.
As of today, I'm 36 days opiate free and going one day at a time. My biggest stress, however, comes from not being able to provide for my wife and son, possibly facing jail time, and the loss of my license. If anyone can relate to this I would like to hear your story.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not been in your situation, but I had a childhood friend who was an anesthesiologist who was caught doing the same thing. I'm sorry you're in that mess, but I hope you can get sober and find peace.

*edited out my comment, OP already saw it *
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome flightmedic

no job experience to share but I know you'll find recovery help here

And Bim's right - in case you missed it in the registration process, this is an open forum so anyone can read here.

D
Old 10-23-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good advice. Thank you
Old 10-23-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! Years and years ago, I was an RN and I abused opiates to deal with an alcoholic bf (ABF), dumb move. I did divert, I did get reported to the BON and the DEA.

Stupid me, I got involved with someone addicted to crack, took that on as my new addiction.

Bottom line, I didn't lose my license , it lapsed. Many states have diversion programs that I've known several to go through and keep their license. I was too messed up to work with my state.

On the other hand, I am going on 9 years in recovery, in huge part to the people at SR. Life is not a bowl of roses, I don't make nearly the money I used to, but I have survived, and thrived, from addiction and you can, too.

I know there was a forum for nurses in recovery, not sure that would help you but if I can remember, I will pm it to you.

You can, and will get through this. Check with you licensing board to see if they have a program you can go through.

BTW, I did get a felony charge, but as I'd never been in trouble before, I was put in the "first offender" program, and I passed that - no felony on my record.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Flightmedic, to SR.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone. I feel like I've found the right place to find support during this time. Amy, thank you for your advice. I would greatly appreciate that link to the nurses forum. Its always good to hear that you're not the only one to make a mistake like this. Just like yourself, this is my first criminal offense so I'm hoping I can get a diversion program too.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Flightmedic - I'm glad you're here.

I'm very sorry for the pain you're going through. I did foolish and out-of-character things when I was drinking, such as driving drunk. It's frightening how drugs can alter our personalities. I hope it helps to know you're never alone.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to hear from another medical professional. As a firefighter I was faced with a similar situation for showing up to work extremely hungover. I got time off work and had to enroll in treatment but it was definitely an eye-opener I hope the best for you! There are many good people here with lots of great advice!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wichitaks, Thanks for the support. Nice to hear from someone in the same field.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi Flightmedic!

You're definitely not alone! I lost my nursing license for diverting because I was so far into my addiction that I wouldn't comply with the program they offered. Not only did I lose my career and my reputation, but I now have a felony on my record. Even after facing all that I wasn't ready to quit.

The good news for you is that you are willing to do what it takes to take back your life and you're already dong it by staying clean. I hope you'll take advantage of the diversion program your state offers.

I so wish I could go back and take advantage of what was offered me. But the good news is I'm clean and sober now and enjoying the freedom I now have. I'm really sorry about your situation, but you can get through this and stay clean and rebuild your life! If I can do it, so can you. I hope you'll stick around here and get the support you deserve.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Flightmedic welcome to our forum and congratulations on 36 days
Old 10-23-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Flightmedic,

Had faced jail time , but was given PTI ( first offence ) and a couple years probation testing clean. Before court was the most grueling time , facing the unknown , .... in the end it was a blessing turning the corner from the madness.

Can safely say you'll never regret getting clean,.....keep the faith brother.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome flightmedic. I'm sure things looks bleak right now, but it appears you've survived cancer, so I believe you can make it through this. I'm sure redemption is possible, and you can resume your career. Don't give up on yourself.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another casualty here. I was a model R.N. and well respected when my shite hit the fan.

That was an extremely dark time for me. Along with all the shame came the absence of my only way of feeling i successful measured up (the career). They hung me out to dry.

It may have saved my life, though...

If you have insurance still (it usually lasts a couple weeks past termination), jump on rehab. It is a good gesture towards repairing your career and could give you some important strategies.

There are quite a few of us nurse Jackie types.

Feel free th P.M. me any time.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Flightmedic!!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome FlightMedic
Old 10-24-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten lots of good advice on this thread and I know you will continue to find support here. Things are bleak right now, but will get better.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am new here as well. Trying to figure it all out.