Do your best

Thank you Mir
Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good read, thanks Mir.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

This is a strong, accurate paragraph = taking action. It articulates changing people, places and things well.

"However, there are always factors that are within your control. Don’t choose the bar as a place to meet up with friends. Throw away the lighters and blades. Toss the cigarettes. Pour the alcohol down the drain, and then shred your liquor store points cards. Make a meal plan and have people hold you accountable for eating. Take your medication. Talk to your counselor. Don’t hang out with negative influences, which might mean cutting some toxic people out of your life. There’s almost always something you can do, and it’s worth it in order to get well."

Not sure I readily identify with this part though - "See, recovery is a tricky topic. It’s one thing to decide that you want to get better, but quite another thing to follow through on that, and a separate thing altogether to actually see the process through to the end."

What is that end?? It's a journey, not a destination right?!?

Always enjoy reading articles about peoples thoughts on recovery - than MIR for the thread!!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Though it's a good reading overall, this passage is quite controversial and questionable.

...Along the lines of the previous reason, while we desperately need other people, we also desperately need God. We need His support, His promises..."

For someone in recovery who doesn't share conventional belief in God and not yet wordly wise about semantics of "God of your understanding" (which, after all is referred as He leaving less room for interpretation) can be discouraging and misleading. IMHO.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks MIR. I enjoyed reading that.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you! That was good!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Though it's a good reading overall, this passage is quite controversial and questionable.

...Along the lines of the previous reason, while we desperately need other people, we also desperately need God. We need His support, His promises..."

For someone in recovery who doesn't share conventional belief in God and not yet wordly wise about semantics of "God of your understanding" (which, after all is referred as He leaving less room for interpretation) can be discouraging and misleading. IMHO.
Yeah I agree with this sentiment. When the word God is used it's ok, because I can replace it in my head with "universe" and then it doesn't sound so theistic. Which in my world is synonymous with idiotic. I'm completely cool with deism but theism just makes my stomach hurt. That being said-- This article specifically says "talk to Jesus" which is ...has a pretty different meaning than "talk to the universe" --even if they would provide the same benefit.