Notices

Why Did You Drink?

Old 10-20-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a whole lot of underlying reason why I drank, much like yours LM...

unfortunately I kept drinking, long after most of those problems had faded away - I become an alcoholic.

You won;t find the real you until you put the bottle down for good, and even then, depending on how deeply you where mired in alocholism, it may take a few months for the real you - a you you've forgotten - to re -emerge.

I used to fear that the real me would be a mess of neuroses, scared and weak and without a safety net of alcohol...but it didn't turn out that way.

I actually liked the real me. I think you will too LilyMarie

D
Old 10-20-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

I was also an introvert with low self esteem and extremely shy. I think I was born an alcoholic.

I don't drink today.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I was also an introvert with low self esteem and extremely shy. I think I was born an alcoholic.

I don't drink today.
I like this. Thanks, Sugarbear.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My husband used to say, he drank because he used enjoyed it but in my opinion, he had some underlying issues that I believe caused him to drink so he could forget them.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Your question is a bit confusing dcg. From my experience there was no "what" only "why". Alcohol causes the brain to release happy chemicals, so I felt good. It's just basic biology. However, there are healthy ways to get the brain to release happy chemicals, albeit in smaller amounts. Exercise is one example, but there are others. And living a moral, productive life also brings a sense of calm and peace that I've found greatly reduces the desire for alcohol.
Every drunk likes the high; that's the easy part.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank years past the point where I got any high, so while I appreciate that perspective is held by many, it wasn't the whole story for me.

D
Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I drank years past the point where I got any high, so while I appreciate that perspective is held by many, it wasn't the whole story for me.

D
I agree with Dee, looking back over the past few years, it wasn't "fun" anymore. I had grown out of the fun stage of alcohol, it was an addiction (and a habit) that I just didn't want to let go of.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I didn't stop earlier, why my AV keep leading me back to something that made me so miserable, but I sought after SO much. At this point in my workday all I can think about is going home and having a beer. Even though I don't want one, that is all that has been running through my head for about the past hour.

But instead I will go to my IOP...a better choice I know...but I would rather go home with my family!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

like others have said, (insert reason here) was why I drank.

After a while I drank because it was there. And if it wasn't there I'd go out and get more. I no longer needed a reason to drink.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It made me feel good, and I abused that effect Then I couldn't feel good without it Then I needed it to feel less bad Then I felt horrible no matter what Now I feel good again. Not every emotion is a tickle, but I can feel good without it. Best of Luck on Your Journey.
That about sums it up for me!

As for starting the first drink, I saw my family having fun while drinking. Wanted to see what all the hub bub was about. It's funny how it tasted so horrible at first, but I managed to push through it. Makes me wonder if it really ever "tasted" good as much as the feelings it produced made a "yummy" association in my mind.

Kinda like smoking. Which I do. It doesn't taste good at all. I just get a relief from withdrawal.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I drank because I liked it. I liked THAT feeling it gave me. It's hard to give up. The depths we succumb to just to feel that way, if just for a few hours. It ends up becoming the most important thing.

Learning to live again without it is the hurdle.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

At first I drank for the buzz.. to socialize..

In later years I genuinely enjoyed the experience.. the taste, the smell, the ambience of nice restaurants...

Never mind that I was often alone, and it had become a daily habit instead of an occasional celebration with friends.