Notices

Releasing Guilt And Shame

Old 10-17-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Releasing Guilt And Shame

The longer I deal with my issues the more I believe that releasing guilt and shame is a major HURDLE to get past!

It seems as though GUILT and SHAME are like these tenacious emotions that hang on and hang around almost longer than some of the other emotions.

At times we think we are 'done' with them...and then something will crop up and there they are like our best buddies, riding along with as we go about our daily tasks.

But here are some things that guilt and shame can turn into:

Low self esteem.
Regret.
Sadness.
Grief.
Heavy Burdens.
Inability to move onward and upward.
Difficulty cultivating new and fulfilling relationships.
Paranoia. (that someone will find out our dirty secrets and loathe us as much as we loathe ourselves)
Inability to forgive ourselves.
Insomnia.
Anxiety.
Social awkwardness.
Depression.

HOW have you been able to release guilt and shame?

Please do tell...

Blessed Be...
Old 10-17-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This may seem a little out there, but most humans have a conscience, and with that we can distinguish right from wrong. For example, I've seen video of killer whales killing seals because its a game to them. Its fun, they don't eat them for food, but its a sport. When we drink and we wreak havoc on ourselves and those around us, we know deep down it is not the right thing to do. But we do it anyway, and when the fog clears and the dust settles, we feel guilt and shame (and should) for our actions. There is no magic pill that will make this go away. Speaking strictly for myself, the guilt and shame went away when I stopped doing things that I felt guilty and shameful for doing. It didn't happen overnight, but it happened. Often times when we are actively drinking the thing that gets us in the most trouble is our mouth. We say things we shouldn't, and have regret. Once you attain some sobriety, make amends with those you have hurt, you deserve to let some of that guilt and shame go. That is simply my thoughts on it. Others may have a different (and better) viewpoint.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice, thomas. Very well put and so true!