Notices

People Change

Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People Change

I got back on this site not because I thought I was drinking too much, but rather because someone else told me he thought I was drinking too much. We had a trip planned to hunt/fish in the UP of Michigan. I was stressing because it was a very remote place. I could only check two bags, one was full of guns/ammo and fishing gear, the other warm clothes. My concern was how am I going to bring a couple of gallons of Scotch to this place. The fear was I would run out once I got started. It was a five day trip. Wanted to make sure there was enough for everyone so nobody could say, Wow! who drank all the Scotch. These guys were old drinking buddies of mine for 30 years. And we drank TONS together in the past! I kept asking the host how many bottles and of what color of Johnny Walker should I bring? He would not reply, after three attempts he told me they would have booze up there and not to worry. He would not give me an address of the place as I would have had some shipped in.

Got on this site a week and a half before the trip as I saw this as an issue which needed to be addressed. Long story short; I took no booze, did not drink, and watched as all of my old buddies had a cocktail or two and then shut it down. One other guy did not drink at all. Woke up early, feeling good every morning and the days lasted forever, as there was not the typical drunk from 12 noon until 10 P.M.

There is hope, people change and often for the better. No self loathing, hangover, or a few hundred $$ wasted on booze. I pray it holds.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, and for your friend giving you the nod in a non-offensive way.

If you want to hold, you will need to make that decision, it won't just happen but you have made a great start.

Welcome and stay in touch.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are a lucky man to have such good friends in your life. Thank you for sharing this story, I wish you all the best on your road to recovery!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a great trip! Jealous (kidding) that you are MT and WY..two of my favorite states; Natural beauty almost unparalleled. Good job on not drinking. That would be hard to do when your buddies are still doing it.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good stuff, I am glad the trip went well and really happy to hear you got in some quality time with friends, I know how important that is. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting this positive post.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk bud
Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

For twenty years I did remote lodge fly in with 20 guys for opening week of walleye fishing in Ontario. We all had to put in our beer/liquor orders - the lodge would fly in whatever we needed. I think back on having to email my list to a friend who spearheaded the group - holy crap.........

Your post brought this back - panic and fear of running out!!! Glad you made it through and made a decision - took the action of staying sober. Rinse/repeat and yes pray, often!

Well Done Sir - keep it up.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for paying attention to the message your hos/friend was trying to send you. And,I'm glad you had a good time and stayed sober.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again herra

D
Old 10-15-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love that story, herra. It's so good to have you back with us.