Notices

Finally, Day #7!!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would totally consider it an achievement. When I was drinking I would find a way to get booze - when you do get a job put the money into that education and improving yourself... not into wine.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 7 is awesome! Good for you! Keep it up!
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
Ah, good to know! I didn't know they'd help with plans. I'll definitely ask a mod because I've read a few links about making a Sober Plan but I still don't really get it.

Thanks for the info!
Correction: I understand how the SP is supposed to work but I more so meant, I don't understand how it differs from willpower. The SP doesn't make you/us not drink when we're tempted, right? Just a few thoughts from a newbie...

That said, many thanks to everyone who has responded to my thread!!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Congrats SoberRunner

here's some links to help you build a plan remember you can ask the mods here to help you structure a plan they are wise & awesome

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Honestly SW - I'm not more awesome than anyone else here

I'm always more than happy to help anyone who PMs me, but the real genius, the hope, the real heart of this place lies in the community, 150 thousand members strong

but, for what it's worth, Sober Runner (and I'll double dip from my PM) the basics of a good plan are - finding support, using that support.

Thats all pretty self explanatory.

If you're not using the support you have - if you're not posting here before you drink, for example - you need to explore than and ask yourself why I think.

The second tier of recovery as I see it is making the changes in your life necessary to keep you sober.

For some people that means changing their sober life and the people in it...

for others, it means finding new and healthier ways to deal with whatever you used to drink for - boredom, fear, anger, celebration...

You'll have to learn to sit with discomfort. Its simply unavoidable I think.

Most of us hate that feeling and most of us used to drink on it, so it's not easy - but thats where the support comes in, and that's why you should use it. Noone need do this alone

It may be the hardest thing you ever do, Sober Runner,. but it is achievable, and it is worth it

you can do this!

D
Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Great post, D! And, you're definitely right--we should always post here when we're tempted to drink. In the few months I've been on this site, I never seem to long in and post when I'm tempted to drink. To be honest, I think I've only done that once... You guys definitely helped and my urge eventually subsided; not sure why I rarely do it!? Maybe because I know you guys will talk me out of indulging in my wine (Lol) and, in that particular moment, I really want it! I tend to act then think... Something I definitely need to change!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
Great post, D! And, you're definitely right--we should always post here when we're tempted to drink. In the few months I've been on this site, I never seem to long in and post when I'm tempted to drink. To be honest, I think I've only done that once... You guys definitely helped and my urge eventually subsided; not sure why I rarely do it!? Maybe because I know you guys will talk me out of indulging in my wine (Lol) and, in that particular moment, I really want it! I tend to act then think... Something I definitely need to change!
You're totally right, when I was drinking wine (up to 2 bottles a night) I would read SR all day long but avoid it in the evening when I KNEW I wanted to drink. Slowly the want to be sober became stronger and stronger until I was dipping into it while I was drinking too...

Eventually I managed to call my Dr, get a home and dry detox and STOP drinking, hurrah!!! 37 days for me now and believe me, that's a record in 25 years (bar pregnancy).

7 days is a great start no matter how you've done it. Now you've got some distance from the wine you can start slowing your thought processes down a bit, so instead of buying wine, taking it home, opening it and drinking it before you've even blinked you can question yourself along the way. That's how I've got through the last 5 weeks. Slowly questioning "do I really want it?" "maybe I'll wait another week..." It's working.

Good luck
Old 10-15-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Ugh! I just lost the streak.
Thursday / "Greys Anatomy Night" got the best of me tonight.

My friends and I started "wine night" (on Thursday) a looonnnggg time ago. Free wine ended up at my house and before I knew it, I was drinking it. It's like second nature and I didn't realize I was supposed to **not** be drinking until the 2nd sip. That said, seeing as I already started I decided to have a few glasses and now I'm in the bed thinking, "Great! Another Day 1. When will the cycle end!?" Try, try again...
Old 10-15-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

To begin with I felt like I was on autopilot, programmed to drink robotically, and in a way I was, it had been going on for so long...

I had to give myself a brick wall (planned detox), remove every trace of drinking and triggers from my life for a month and knuckle down, once you're a few weeks in you'll feel more in control, honestly : )
Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Sober Runner

I'm glad you're back, but it sounds like you need to accept the need for some lifestyle changes?

That Greys night with the girls can easily be the prelude to a months long return to hell, and I think every drinker like us needs to accept that.

It's the first drink that brings us undone, not the last..

D
Old 10-16-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally agree with D here & off subject D but you are that awesome seriously & honestly I doubt any would doubt what I just wrote apart from you but that's ok it adds to your awesomeness

Your a gem to this site
Old 10-16-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Thanks for the replies!

And, yeah, I guess I have to do a lifestyle change also... So much for the journey just being about "not drinking".
Old 10-16-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great job on day 7 SoberRunner!!