Notices

Finally, Day #7!!

Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Finally, Day #7!!

It's been a few months since I've posted but today is Day 7 for me... Apparently, miracles may exist because I haven't been "wine-free" for 7 straight days in 10 years.

That said, I'm not sure if I can take credit for this achievement? A month ago, I made a few changes in my life by (attempting) to get rid of the triggers that cause(d) me to drink. Boredom and loneliness were / are my main triggers--and I got sick of complaining about them--so I finally did something about it! I left the new (lonely, yet beautiful!) city I moved to three years ago and moved home.

Now, I'm closer to family and friends but not making any money. In addition to deciding to do something about my triggers, I also decided to pursue my "dream career" but, unfortunately, the career change means I'm (currently) jobless--but looking for a job!--and waiting to hear if I got into grad school.

Which brings me to my point... I think the only reason I made it to Day 7 is because I can't afford wine. Can I still consider this an achievement? I think my resisting wine will be a true achievement when I can afford it, yet still choose to not buy it. Until then, I guess this is a good start?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 days! This is a great accomplishment in my humble opinion. Do not diminish your acheivements. I was a daily wine drinker for about 15 years with only breaks for pregnancy and weight loss. I always figured out ways to get my wine whether I purchased it or not.

It's good to identify triggers. Keep working on that awareness and form a plan for when you do have money so that you aren't tempted. Maybe set a goal to buy something special for yourself and instead of putting the money toward wine, toss it in a jar or savings account. Just an idea.

Keep up the great work. I am right behind you at 6 days.

As a very helpful fellow SR member said to me "You've got this"
Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can take full credit. Congrats to you.
You might find running a little more enjoyable, too :-)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Any day spent sober is to your credit, and is a great exercise in learning how to live without alcohol. I'm sure that these seven days spent sober will give you a good chance at long lasting sobriety if that is what you want. Plan today what you will do on the day when you do have the money available. Plan alternatives.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're off to a great start.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done, a fellow wino here. I am 8 days vino free and its been up and down.. I been drinking daily for 30 years and once stopped for a month.. I gradually became worse and started hiding my early morning drinking in a coffee cup at home on weekends.. Big argument and it was time to quit and look after myself or end up 6feet under in a few years time . Just turned 50.. Its a matter or making choices. I want to stop for reasons such as health, weight loss, relationship and general feeling of wanting to become normal functiong adult.. You know when its the right time or the right time to quit.. You have to do it for the right reasons only then can you do it.. Congrats on day 7!!!! Well done hope we get zeros behind our singular numbers soon
Old 10-12-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Thank you for the responses and encouragement, everyone! I will officially own my 7 days.

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post
... Maybe set a goal to buy something special for yourself and instead of putting the money toward wine, toss it in a jar or savings account. Just an idea.
Great idea! I can put the money towards new running gear... Today, I was just thinking, "Ugh! I need some more sports bras and running shorts/tights."

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
You might find running a little more enjoyable, too :-)
Very true! It's only been a week but I found myself running for fun instead of feeling like it was a chore.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome, way to go!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still think it's an achievement SoberRunner - congratulations
Now's probably a good time to think about a plan to help you maintain your recovery tho?

D
Old 10-13-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Hi D,

Yup, it's time for me to think of a new plan... New city, new plan.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
It's been a few months since I've posted but today is Day 7 for me... Apparently, miracles may exist because I haven't been "wine-free" for 7 straight days in 10 years.

That said, I'm not sure if I can take credit for this achievement? A month ago, I made a few changes in my life by (attempting) to get rid of the triggers that cause(d) me to drink. Boredom and loneliness were / are my main triggers--and I got sick of complaining about them--so I finally did something about it! I left the new (lonely, yet beautiful!) city I moved to three years ago and moved home.

Now, I'm closer to family and friends but not making any money. In addition to deciding to do something about my triggers, I also decided to pursue my "dream career" but, unfortunately, the career change means I'm (currently) jobless--but looking for a job!--and waiting to hear if I got into grad school.

Which brings me to my point... I think the only reason I made it to Day 7 is because I can't afford wine. Can I still consider this an achievement? I think my resisting wine will be a true achievement when I can afford it, yet still choose to not buy it. Until then, I guess this is a good start?
Me too! Congratulations !
Old 10-13-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats SoberRunner

here's some links to help you build a plan remember you can ask the mods here to help you structure a plan they are wise & awesome

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job Soberrunner! You made it to 7 days, that's a great accomplishment. Keep going strong.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great stuff on day 7!

You choose to remain alcohol free for a week. Recognize that and be proud of yourself!

Congratulations!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
Thank you for the responses and encouragement, everyone! I will officially own my 7 days.

Great idea! I can put the money towards new running gear... Today, I was just thinking, "Ugh! I need some more sports bras and running shorts/tights."

Very true! It's only been a week but I found myself running for fun instead of feeling like it was a chore.
It is a great idea! I just celebrated 1 month and bought a new pair of running shoes (wayyy overdue). Expensive, but pales in comparison to what I would have spent on booze for the month.

It helps to do the simple math of money spent on alcohol for a month and what you could have spent it on.... Makes you never want to drink
Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
...remember you can ask the mods here to help you structure a plan they are wise & awesome
Ah, good to know! I didn't know they'd help with plans. I'll definitely ask a mod because I've read a few links about making a Sober Plan but I still don't really get it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No matter how you got there, 7 days is 7 days. Congrats on that and good wishes for many more.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats SoberRunner!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had a similar issue, SoberRunner. My wife started to keep close track of my spending and even took my credit cards for a time. I managed to convince myself that it wasn't "real" sober time, since I wasn't resisting the urges on my own. Got resentful of third parties taking away my choices and preventing me from really healing.

Of course, that was just the AV talking. Desperately coming up with some strategy to justify putting me in the riskiest situation possible. I relapsed almost immediately after getting access to my finances again, thinking I was somehow going to demonstrate how I really didn't need complete abstinence. I was such a master of willpower, other people just didn't understand, blah blah addict reasoning.

So my advice would be to own every second of your sobriety. Maybe you needed to just not be able to afford wine to get to seven days, but they're YOUR seven days no matter what. Be proud of yourself and don't diminish your accomplishments. Especially don't get resentful if somebody's keeping you from drinking. Keep up the awesome work.