There are hushed whispers about relatives with "problems"
Celebrities being crucified
"out of control" - they say

All of it leaves us feeling
Like something is wrong with us
Like WE are the broken ones
As though we've failed
Because poison isn't our thing

But wait, hang on... can that really be right?
What if we're looking at it all wrong?
Isn't it possible, isn't it perhaps even probable
We're the lucky ones?
Isn't this curse our greatest blessing?

Because unlike "them" we need not waste
Not even a moment
We no longer have to numb ourselves
No more must we escape
This Gift is the Present

What if - Right Now - and from this moment forward
We looked at this shining path we're on
And saw it for what it really is
What if we shook off the burden of our gloom
And accepted this blessing with all we've got?

Last edited by Dee74; 10-12-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

grr... the title was supposed to be "What IF it's actually a gift..."
Old 10-12-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post FO!

LOL, my mind actually did auto correct when I read the title originally and wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

Great perspective and I totally agree!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

What if it's a gift to be an ex-drunk...?

Yeah, I'm not buying it.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
What if it's a gift to be an ex-drunk...? Yeah, I'm not buying it.
Well, I don't ask you to buy it. I'm merely sharing the idea. That's how I've come to see it.

I feel I have been set free from a trap that was keeping me from the truth of the richness of life, and that - to me - feels like a gift.

You may not see it that way, yet perhaps if you allow the idea a little space, there might be ways it could be true for you.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Well, I don't ask you to buy it.
Well, sure you are [see the part of your post I placed in bold below], and that's fine.

I feel I have been set free from a trap that was keeping me from the truth of the richness of life, and that - to me - feels like a gift.

You may not see it that way, yet perhaps if you allow the idea a little space, there might be ways it could be true for you.
If you're asking if my life has been better since I've put down the booze, yes, it is (how could it not be?) I don't see that as a gift, though. For every ex-drunk on the silver path of truth and richness of life, there are dozens on that path who never wasted precious years-decades being drunk.

No offense - I see the benefit of the power of positive thinking and all, but if there's one thing I've learned being sober the last couple of months, it is to see things very clearly and for what they are.

You'll likely call this crystal-clear vision a gift; I call it something that I've always had but was obfuscated by booze. I'll certainly call my sobriety a gift over those who still are getting hammered every night, but in comparison to those who never engaged, I don't see it as such.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

that's cool.

We're different people, we see different things.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm pretty excited about my recovery. I've honed my spiritualism, I'm grateful, I like my new friends, I wouldn't change a thing. Life is a gift. Well said Free Owl (after you replace "it" with "if"). JOKE!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love this, thanks FO. For me, sobriety is a gift, that sure beats the nightmare of active addiction, anyday.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I see it as a gift and an incredible learning experience, I never would've have grown so much as a person; or been as grateful for my life without having dealt and gone this.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I consider my sobriety and recovery one of the greatest gifts that I have been given.

While I hate the fact that I succumbed to alcoholism, I am in a way grateful for my alcoholic experience. I am now able to share that experience and offer understanding and support. You never know when that sharing, understanding and support will be the catalyst for another's recovery. Being able to do that is a gift.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'd say sobriety is a gift for those that make it right now somewhere in the world a alcoholic has proberly died & many more will or may never choose to get sober

Sobriety is a gift no doubt
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

a slight clarifying comment...

I'm not grateful for many of the experiences themselves; the pain I've caused, the wreckage I've left, the time I've wasted.

But I'm grateful for the sum of those parts - because I think that all of those experiences are what it took for me personally to truly and deeply embrace the gift of life.

Without them, I could easily see myself languishing in an illusion of contentment. I now look at many of my "normal" peers - who don't really have what I'd consider a 'problem' with drinking. I see them contentedly spending time with other peers; appreciating wine, enjoying martinis, hanging out at the brewery. All of these pursuits seem now, in the light of my choice of sobriety, to be pursuits that are below the experience that I want my life to be about. Sure, sometimes I get a little nostalgic or melancholy about it when I see others having a 'good time' with alcohol. But then I quickly realize that if I were to die tomorrow - I would far prefer today to have been about a trail run, a walk in the woods, a sunrise seen sober, moments fully experienced, time spent with my children - than even the most fantastic of nights sitting around drinking a toxic liquid.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Sobriety is a gift no doubt
Compared to continuing to drink, yes; I doubt anyone will disagree with that.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

a slight clarifying comment...

I'm not grateful for many of the experiences themselves; the pain I've caused, the wreckage I've left, the time I've wasted.

But I'm grateful for the sum of those parts - because I think that all of those experiences are what it took for me personally to truly and deeply embrace the gift of life.

Without them, I could easily see myself languishing in an illusion of contentment. I now look at many of my "normal" peers - who don't really have what I'd consider a 'problem' with drinking. I see them contentedly spending time with other peers; appreciating wine, enjoying martinis, hanging out at the brewery. All of these pursuits seem now, in the light of my choice of sobriety, to be pursuits that are below the experience that I want my life to be about. Sure, sometimes I get a little nostalgic or melancholy about it when I see others having a 'good time' with alcohol. But then I quickly realize that if I were to die tomorrow - I would far prefer today to have been about a trail run, a walk in the woods, a sunrise seen sober, moments fully experienced, time spent with my children - than even the most fantastic of nights sitting around drinking a toxic liquid.
I blackout all the time, so there was no enjoying anything for me
So I totally agree!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love this!

FreeOwl this is great. I've been thinking of how my problem could be a gift for this reason:

If i could moderate, I'd keep drinking as a default habit especially in social situations.

And I've come to realize that sober connection between people is far more intimate, genuine, and simply mind blowing sometimes. I didn't have that EVEN when I seemed to drink lightly!!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
FreeOwl this is great. I've been thinking of how my problem could be a gift for this reason:

If i could moderate, I'd keep drinking as a default habit especially in social situations.

And I've come to realize that sober connection between people is far more intimate, genuine, and simply mind blowing sometimes. I didn't have that EVEN when I seemed to drink lightly!!
bingo
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree...it IS a gift.

I sit back and watch...but not with ego. I can see others who one day are going to reach out to me because they want what I fought to achieve...and I'll be there for them. So thankful that I am ME now.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

I appreciate your optimism but addiction is no gift.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
I appreciate your optimism but addiction is no gift.
We can make a gift of anything.

I have come to see it as a gift.

You clearly don't - and that's OK.

But, it doesn't mean it's not a gift for me. And it may well be that someone else's perspective could be shifted in such a way that it finally helps them turn the corner and break out of the cycle in the same way that the shift did for me.

SO...

With that in mind allow me to indulge a slight modification to your quote above;

"I appreciate your optimism but for ME, addiction is no gift."