Notices

A total loss of concentration

Old 10-05-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A total loss of concentration

Nearly through day 1 and it's all gone pretty well. Not too much temptation. My main withdrawal symptom is a complete inability to concentrate on anything, I can't follow the plot of cartoons, reading is basically impossible. Scary the damage drinking has done to my thinking power, does this get better?
Old 10-05-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will get better, Resetti, with time. Many people seem to struggle with this in early recovery and the time it takes to resolve seems to vary greatly.

It took quite a few months for the fog to lift but 100% of my ability to focus gradually returned.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it gets better. Give yourself more sober time for the fog to lift and your brain to heal.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I expect it took a long time to get broke so you can't expect to fix it overnight

It definitely gets better, much better only slowly

Slow progress is progress
Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know the last part of my comment seemed a little silly, I know it will take time to feel ok, I guess I'm just worried I've permanently lost some of my mental abilities.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Resetti View Post
I know the last part of my comment seemed a little silly, I know it will take time to feel ok, I guess I'm just worried I've permanently lost some of my mental abilities.
Maybe its your age. Just a thought. I like you are on day 1 and when I started drinking 25 years ago, I was really sharp. Now I struggle to remember where I put my keys.

We will never be our old selves again, but I am looking forward to meeting the potential new me. I hope he/me can start to enjoy life again.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on day 1!! Next day 2. I'm ready for double digits...
Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Resetti!! Day 1 is fantastic!!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem silly at all....only natural you would be concerned about it, but yes, things get immeasurably better. Very early days yet. Take good care of yourself re healthy eating and drinking lots of water to support your body in recovery. You're doing great :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah I still struggle and it's been 5 months. I think controlling the anxiety will help that too though. My mind keeps wanting to go back to stressful things--obsess over them. It is is a monumental and constant struggle to stop that thinking. Only things that help remotely are telling myself I'll think about it at a later time (not right now) like when I'm in the sauna or riding my bike to work. If I can't find a significant time, then I'll squeeze in 15 minutes to do nothing but let my dumb brain go wild.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Resetti I think your concentration will come back depending on how big and for how long your drinking has been . Well done on day 1 .

BlueFairy I like that therapy "squeeze in 15 minutes to do nothing but let my dumb brain go wild. " I was once given this advice by a therapist .

This fogginess is part of the anxiety condition and can vary from day to day .
I hope you can get some decent sleep , keep hydrated with water ,light exercise ( don't do what I done and decorate a bloody house as I am still in agony with muscle soreness ) . Oh and plenty veg and fruit .

Wishing you well
Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been through this at another point and time in my life. I can recall watching a whole movie with a couple friends sometime during my first month of sobriety. After the movie I remember my friends were reflecting on certain parts and plots of the story and I just agreed with what they were saying because I couldn't follow the movie at all. My mind was in the clouds, it was awful.

The good news is, I was finally able to concentrate again after some sober time. It gets better just hang in there Resetti.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
Yeah I still struggle and it's been 5 months. I think controlling the anxiety will help that too though. My mind keeps wanting to go back to stressful things--obsess over them. It is is a monumental and constant struggle to stop that thinking. Only things that help remotely are telling myself I'll think about it at a later time (not right now) like when I'm in the sauna or riding my bike to work. If I can't find a significant time, then I'll squeeze in 15 minutes to do nothing but let my dumb brain go wild.
Yeah, I've been trying to only worry at certain times, otherwise It's all I think about.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maelstrom no more View Post
I hope you can get some decent sleep , keep hydrated with water ,light exercise ( don't do what I done and decorate a bloody house as I am still in agony with muscle soreness ) . Oh and plenty veg and fruit .

Wishing you well
I'm already on a bit of a health kick, eating and drinking in a healthy way and feeling the things I've consumed are helping and not killing me feels great.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How's it going today Resetti?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ast1 View Post
Great job on day 1!! Next day 2. I'm ready for double digits...
That's awesome to hear. When you hit the double digits then you really start feel like you are accomplishing something.