Notices

Still here

Old 10-07-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still here

Day 6 for me today. I'm committed to really doing it this time. I don't have a plan though. So far I haven't been craving too much. My drive to do this has been drowning out the cravings but I know this will wane and when it does I need some strategy. Really hungry and eating a lot plus insomnia. I know that's normal. What do you guys do as a "plan". What I believe it to be is a way out when those moments of weakness kick in. I need ideas/guidance. I am done with this lifestyle and really want to remain sober for good. I've been back and for with the idea of quitting since 2003 ( jeez that long ago. I've been a member of this site dive then ). My longest stretch sober was 17 days. Then I just gave up. And back to day 1, 2, and 3's.
Looking for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Charlie

this is what I mean by a plan

do read through the sticky post at the top of the forum and do click the link at the end of my quoted post below

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thought I'd add this to the excellent post at the top of the forum*

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Basically a recovery plan is a plan to help you stop drinking/drugging and stay stopped.

Things like exercise and hobbies should be a part of just about every recovery plan - but I really believe we also need to specifically address the drinking/drugging too.

Think about changes you need to make to your life.

Not only changes what you do for fun, the places you hang out and who you hang with, but also deeper change.

No matter what you drink or used for - stress or boredom, anger, joy, physical or emotional pain - you need new coping mechanisms to deal with all those things.

you also need to anticipate those times when you will want to drink or use, or when drink/drugs will be offered to you.

Have a strategy in place for dealing with those situations.

Ask for help here if you're not sure what to do or how to do it

All this can be difficult - which is why support is so important.

It might be a Dr or a counsellor, or a group like AA SMART LifeRing or some other alternative...it might be outpatient or inpatient rehab - it might just be SR and other forums/chat rooms...

Find a level of support than works for you, and that you are willing to reach out when you're in trouble.

cover these bases, and you'll have the beginnings of a great plan.

This is an easy to read but detailed link which fills out the ideas a little more:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. My past attempts in the last year were half hearted. I wasn't able to accept that I "really" had a problem. A year of trying and failing over and over and over.... Probably over 100 day 1's since November of last year and I finally realize that I can not drink. Not even just one. Not now. Not next week. Not ever. I have no control once I start. It starts with that first drink. Horrible. Fully committed this time. Thanks man. I know this site is great for support. I'll be reaching out. Going to bed. Waking up to day 7 tomorrow. Little milestone but not even scratching the surface yet. Have a good night (or day) wherever you folks are!
Old 10-08-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back. The main thing for me was really accepting in my heart that I could not drink without losing who I am, but I could abstain. And that even if abstaining was do-able, drinking was not. ever. It was a tough realisation for me, but it has made all the difference. Hang in there.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Charlie,

My plan centred around the following:

-A healthy dose of acceptance that alcohol is permanently off the table, no more failed experiments of moderating.

-Support to counter balance my addiction selling me all the good reasons as to why drinking was still a good idea in isolation, instead I needed a second opinion, something to short circuit my own thought processes.

-Some real change to my routines and lifestyle, where I went, who I spent time with, some proactive decision making to make Sobriety happen.

You can do this!!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Purple: your second item (support to counter why drinking is a good idea) is a good one. I always justify by saying just for a little while. It never ever is *just* that little while.

Woke up to day 7 feeling a little more rested and happy I'm not sick, ashamed or stinking of liquor.

Have a great day folks!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go on day 7 Charlie! It's great that you're putting thought into a plan. I found support to be so important. Here and in real life. You can do it!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep going Charlie day 6 is awesome
Old 10-08-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad that you are back, charlieinthebox. Congratulations on Day 7. Keep on.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for remembering me guys. The "thirsty" feeling just happened to me. It's passing but I found myself justifying (trying to rationalize) stopping out after work tonight. It never ever plays out for a little while. First REAL craving I've had in a few days. I'm hanging in there though.