Notices

Feels like ive cheated....

Old 10-04-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
now's the time

I definitely found that finding the right AA meeting made a big difference in terms of painfulness. The one I go to most of the time meets daily, which I think makes a big difference. You see the same people a lot, so instead of doing the whole story every time, people are more inclined to talk about their daily ups and downs or just one thing from their past that they've been thinking about. I find that a lot less intense than the full life stories that I've found at other meetings. I also go to a weekly women's meeting that's quite small and has a similar vibe.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I definitely found that finding the right AA meeting made a big difference in terms of painfulness. The one I go to most of the time meets daily, which I think makes a big difference. You see the same people a lot, so instead of doing the whole story every time, people are more inclined to talk about their daily ups and downs or just one thing from their past that they've been thinking about. I find that a lot less intense than the full life stories that I've found at other meetings. I also go to a weekly women's meeting that's quite small and has a similar vibe.
Yes.
Big Book Study and 12&12 meetings can be good, because they're more recovery focussed. They can be very uplifting, as well as informative.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone it really helps that someone else understands x Im on a waiting list for drug and alcohol counselling, Ive had my initial assessment, waiting for the sessions to become available.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me this is definitely the danger of "non alcoholic" options, there are soo many other options out their, juices, teas, flavoured waters.

But if we are trying to keep the dream alive of being able to drink without the consequences then we need to change our thinking, embracing a Sober lifestyle is more than simply not drinking, it's a complete change of perspective, our activities, or habits.

73 Days is fantastic, tweak a few things and keep pushing through Blueberry!!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good to see you are taking steps off the slippery slope!
I wonder if SMART Recovery may be better for you?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Blue

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Blueberry,

I know I would be exactly the same if I drank NA beer or wine.

I would guzzle it, enjoying the feeling of drinking again, but then at some point my brain would say "this is stupid, just buy the real thing and enjoy it even MORE!"

I think you had a really close call, well done for stopping it, certainly don't reset your counter, you've done a great job not succumbing after that.

I'm only 27 days but I know exactly how much I would have enjoyed those NA versions.... Dangerously so...

I had a huge glass of tomato juice last night with Worcester, tobasco and celery salt in it and it was really satisfying. Now, I'm sure for someone who drank that with vodka they would be a trigger, as would a lime and soda if they had vodka with that. I guess we all have to stay away from what was our passion / poison. I find hot drinks work well in the evening as they are as far from alcohol as I can get, I have to drink them fairly slowly so it lasts and fills almost half an hour. Cup a soup or flavoured hot chocolate normally.

I feel like I'm just biding time though, not drinking... I mean I feel good and there's heaps of benefits but I think I need to look into the 12 steps to move forward....
Old 10-04-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had the same experience with NA beer when I was trying to moderate. The behaviour was exactly the same as if the beer had been alcoholic and it got me every time.

D
Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had the same experience with NA beer when I was trying to moderate. The behaviour was exactly the same as if the beer had been alcoholic and it got me every time.

D
Its scary eh? I Spoke to someone in AA (who is now my sponser yay!) about it yesterday and she said that maybe I had to of had that experience, I agree. Im thankful I saw it Im pretty certain that if I continued drinking the NA wines eventually Id be back to where I was.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

It certainly led me back to the real thing - which is why I never touched it after I got sober 'for realz'

D
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It certainly led me back to the real thing - which is why I never touched it after I got sober 'for realz'

D
It kinda shocked me how I was mimicing my alcholic behaviour with the NA wine, the fact Id finished the whole bottle before I finished my takeaway... done that MANY a times, I found myself drinking it like water couldnt get it down my throat quick enough - again another alcoholic behaviour, what really woke me up was when I instinctively reached for the beer in the fridge after Id finished the two bottles - then all of a sudden I saw and heard the step one in my mind, the words powerless and unmanagable. Im a spiritualist and knew it was my spiritual guide. He saved me!