Notices

Look up weekender thread October 2

Old 10-01-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb Look up weekender thread October 2

Do you look people in the eye when you talk to them? Do you see the sky when you are outside? Or do you see the ground more when you are walking straight ahead?

Shiny happy people would read this and wonder what's wrong with this guy. Nothing really. But I can tell you I avoided eye contact from many years of shame. I forgot to look up and appreciate the sunrise or sunset or a simply beautiful sky. In fact sunny days were a trigger to drink and drug. And certainly I walked in the avoidance of everyone and everything.

Drinking took away my desire to exist. But as much as I hide in my avoidance I was alive. And so are you.

You can look away all you want. But we who have been where you are today see you at this very moment. Yup.

You can walk head down but you are not as lost as you might feel.

Look up today. Look up this weekend. Look someone in the eye when you speak on purpose. See and be seen. When I first started being able to string days together I remember distinctly how it felt to look up.

*Ring Ring*

Can you hear it? I can! The sober bus is here for you! Jump aboard and be seen!!!

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Ken
Old 10-01-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WooHooo Olive !!!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Olive!!!

Yeah I know Olive. 11 whole minutes it sat open. That's almost a record. Maybe the weekender team has grown tired.

I am gonna have a good one I can feel it! I am officially back at exercising and plan on cooking up a storm again!

Off to work!

Hey Mark? How are you doing?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Congrats Olive!!! Yeah I know Olive. 11 whole minutes it sat open. That's almost a record. Maybe the weekender team has grown tired. I am gonna have a good one I can feel it! I am officially back at exercising and plan on cooking up a storm again! Off to work! Hey Mark? How are you doing?
Weekenders tired? Not likely! Could be they are still chattering on last weekends thread. Lovely start to the new one, Weasel!
Hi Della Bo Bella!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No the Weekenders are not tired! Thank you for the thread. I spent a lot of time living in shame. I am so much more lively and engaged sober.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And Della.... I am so happy to have gotten to know you!!! I treasure all my contacts and friends here.

I often catch myself referring to something we all talked about and have to remind myself that I cannot quite explain the conversation I was having with sober folks from around the globe so I just chuckle to myself and give thanks!

K
Old 10-01-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on. Gotta dash, busy busy busy!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I woke up for some reason - obviously not to be shotgun. But thought I'd check anyway.
I just woke from a strange dream, I was fishing, I caught a trout but I didn't have any equipment and I had to trout on a line i the water, at one point I was swimming underwater to get him back when I let go of the line, then I got a ticket for not having a license but it was attached to the trout, I swimming under a boat so the wrden wouldn't see me - in two feet of water - originally I was standing in water up to my knees, next thing ya know I am swimming under a boat...
right before I woke up I am in the warden house writing my check while he went downstairs - I was thinking about taking a soda from his fridge to make it worth the twenty five bucks, when he came from upstairs as I was going through his fly box and then we were discussing the possibility of a mayfly hatch tomorrow but the weather had already turned, and he also told me earlier that, "I gave your buddy a citation yesterday>" This was my friend from NM who came in to fish - and I recall at one point I was observing him fish from higher up in a turn in the river that was nothing more than a trickle but you could see all the shelves and was taking notes for when the water was higher - lots of detail
anyway I asked the warden if I could use his bathroom - then I woke up and used the facilities here - should have gone right back to sleep but I didn't know what time it was since my clock decided to joined the hereafter a few weeks ago so I figured I check here. I saw it was six o'clock and had to scroll down to find the thread with 6 posts already - I know Della sets her alarm to weasel time

BUT - OLIVE, my girl on the west coast, got shotgun this week!

woo-hoo!

I guess I'm awake now. And I only told you half the dream - I should have gone back to sleep to finish it, but when you gotta go you gotta go - even in dreams.

Time to check the weather.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good morning y'all. Guess I got caught sleeping late today. My gym is closed for maintenance so a few extra zzzzz seemed appropriate. Glad your exercise efforts are on track K. And like you, I really enjoy my peek into the sober journey of folks all around the globe.

Today is a chin up day for me....no looking down!

Wishing everyone a great Thursday!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Okay, no rain today and that means I'm on hose duty - but it's cool and cloudy and humid so not as much evaporation. Tropical weather notification for the east coast. Weather underground is the place if you want a weather report without all the nonsense btw...

I read the lead in - I can attest to the not looking at people or much else for a time while I was drunk all the time...
yesterday this song popped into my head and I thought it would be a good 'theme' to start the weekend... kinda sorta what the Weasel is talking about - I think.

I guess I'm really awake now.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders, count me in!!

This Weekend, I have absolutely nothing happening, and it feels great, the first Saturday night where I won't be anywhere, whether it's away for work, at an ice hockey game, a family gathering, don't have to be anywhere and I can just sit and do very little.

Very much looking forward to it, gonna break out my extra large teapot!!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi PK.....seeing your post reminds me of one year ago today when you were among the very first to welcome me to SR. One year ago today was my last hangover and my last 'day one'. I've noticed that you're quite good at greeting folks when they make that first post and I'd like to thank you for it. I was in a wretched place emotionally that day and if I hadn't gotten such an accepting welcome I'd likely have never signed on again.

One year ago I didn't think I'd have reason to keep my chin up again and yet here I am. Sober. Chin up (which is also good because otherwise I'd spill my coffee . )
Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm up. Another busy day at work and tomorrow I'm off to my sister's in northern Wisconsin for her birthday and Applefest. I will consume everything Apple between Friday afternoon and Sunday. Love it.

Brain, are you getting into the hose duty? Mr B finds his zen state spraying down the driveway. Leaves are starting to fall and they must be washed away daily lest they stain the cement.

Weas, thanks for the opening. I will keep it in mind as I spend much of the weekend feeling slightly awkward and anxious making small talk with people I've kind of known for 35 years. My sis lives in a small town that I visit a couple times a year, max. We are so similar in appearance we are mistaken for each other so people are always striking up a conversation with me expecting me to know them. Small talk is painful but I'm a lot more comfortable with people than I was a year ago.

Congratulations on a year, Mark!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

1 Year is fantastic Mark!!

SR always had its doors open for me when I needed it, and so if I can give a little back in being a welcoming face when someone is in a bad place then it's the least I can do.

We've all been there, Day 1 and not knowing what the future holds, but we (as do you now) know . . . it gets better!!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wolf on the roof alert Im In !!

Congrats on a year Mark
Old 10-01-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for another weekend thread and all your hard work.
I'm in.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Woo hoo, Mark! Way to go on a year!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Are CONGATULATIONS in order here?
Mark - one year - already? outstanding my friend.

hi PK a good weekend to watch 'merican football in the rain...

B - hose duty for keeping my grass seed wet only, After 15 or so years I gave up washing the leaves from my "stone" walkway made out of manufactured 'stone', let it age gracefully...

Della - so close