Notices

Frustrated!!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustrated!!

Hi all
Im currently going through morning 2 of withdrawals, my 3rd time doing so
I decided enough was enough and its time to sort my life out after a stint in hospital.

I was doing so well, i was seeking help, felt healthier, was forcing myself out of my comfort zone, trying to start repairing some broken relationships my drinking had cause. Meeting up with an old friend, whistling and singing again!! The list goes on.

Now ive made a huge u turn. Went back to drinking again for 2 weeks. Im so frustrated and disgusted with myself that ive put myself back in this position. I have been in bed for days, pushed my family away again all for what? Feeling rubbish again. When will i learn!!

I know i need to stop with all the negative thoughts as that wont help, but i cant do it alone anymore!
Im hoping to use this forum to help me through... hoping i might meet some good support on here.

So, yeah thats my brief story, and hi
Old 09-19-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of online support here.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome thirdtimelucky

SR really helped me to make the changes I needed to make - and stick to them
There's something about being with people who understand that makes the going a little easier I think - so I'm glad you've joined us

feel free to check out and post in our Class of September support thread too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-19.html

D
Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I really hope this is the last time!
The withdrawals are really different this time round which is scaring me!

One of my questions to anyone out there would be..
When i think deep down, my reason for drinking is a major lack of confidence and social anxiety. I feel i need it to be around anyone...

How has anyone coped with this being sober? The thought frightens me!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us are actually quite shy - I know I am.

One of the best parts of recovery for me was accepting that, and not trying to be someone I'm not anymore.

My life is a lot quieter now but my social life is actually a lot busier - I'm not a partygoer but I have regular dinner dates with mates to catch up etc

I have friends who accept and know the authentic me now - I don't have to try to be me - and that cut's back on that social anxiety a lot.

When it comes to meeting new people, you could do worse than read a little Dale Carnegie:

“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.”

Ask questions of others, get them talking about themselves...

If you can establish a rapport, you'll feel more relaxed and then you can share a little of yourself

D
Old 09-20-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If your withdrawal symptoms are different and worse, please seek medical attention. Do not go this alone. Please!
Old 09-20-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ThirdTimeLucky

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ThirdTimeLucky!!
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You said you feel the need to drink to relieve social anxiety, I understand that. But you also said you were doing really well during your sober stint. You were reaching out, forcing yourself out of your comfort zone and mending relationships. I found that I actually felt more confident socializing after being sober for an extended period of time. I wasn't worried about people wondering how much I had to drink, or if I was funny and witty. I was sober and felt good and therefore could talk to people and look them in the eye because my conscience was clean. I believe you can do that too.
I recently went to a bar and did not drink, everyone else I knew was drinking or drunk. I've since seen those people and I was amazed at how much differently they treated me. It was like they had more respect for me, or took me more seriously. I believe that is because for a long time when they saw me at a bar, I was drunk.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Thirdtimelucky. I look forward to getting to know you better in recovery.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please keep checking in and let us know how it goes. Sounds like you are motivated and just need some help like all of us. The idea of seeing a doctor is a good one.

Taking it one day at a time helps to reduce the pressure for me. Every sober day is a good day; the more I get, great, but now my job is to stay sober tomorrow.

Day 8 for me.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey 3rd time I second WantToDoThis's suggestion that you see a doc, they may be able to help. It is day 13 for me, and I concur with eveyone else's comments. I really enjoy joking around with people, and now I can do it with confidence because I know that I am not drunk being an ass to people without realizing it. I also think it is cool to be a part of SR to find out that all of us have been through the same types of problems, and that we all understand each other on a different level. People who aren't addicted to booze don't really understand where we are coming from.