Notices

Lousy day today

Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lousy day today

Had a big argument with my girlfriend this morning and I've been pretty miserable all day today. I'm not very happy with her, I've been feeling like that about it for a while. It feels like we are always on the edge of a fall out and today was just another argument in a long line.

Maybe I'm just not able to manage a relationship, I struggle with self esteem which is why I'm aiming to improve diet and fitness and I'm not feeling great about myself at the minute.

So right about now, I'm sat craving alcohol and junk food thinking these things will be a reward.

I'm struggling guys
Old 09-19-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'd suggest you don't make a big decision about your relationship at the moment. Please don't drown your sorrows in alcohol, play the tape through, as they say.
Keep posting, we are all in this together!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That really stinks, but you know that alcohol won't solve the problem, plus it has a good chance of making matters worse, even directly as you may do something you regret while drinking.

Plus there's the exciting guilt when you get sober again. You'd have that to look forward to.

Better off finding another outlet, like this place.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm staying in the spare room tonight, I've had some tea and going to have a bath now hope it helps.

Arrived home and we haven't spoken at all, don't really know what there is to say. I have to maintain sobriety at all costs and another argument may put that under threat
Old 09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Stewy84, wise thinking.

If you need us we're here for you.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Sorry to hear you've had a tough day Stewy, but as you rightly pointed out, drinking would only make this situation 100x worse.

I dont think I would manage without my baths! Closing that door and clambering in is the most comforting and relaxing feeling.

I'd also agree with Leshar that it may not be wise to make a snap decision on your relationship

Hang on in there. Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stay talking with us Stewy
Old 09-19-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've spent more or less the majority of today stuck with my own thoughts. I picked my daughter up earlier but she spent most of the day playing with her friends which is fine, but it left me free to just worry.

I came home and have not spoken to my girlfriend at all.

She tells me I don't know how to speak to women and I'm a bully. I feel gutted about these comments
Old 09-19-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Maybe I'm just not able to manage a relationship, I struggle with self esteem which is why I'm aiming to improve diet and fitness and I'm not feeling great about myself at the minute."

i had low self esteem for many,many years and at one time absorbed myself in physical fitness. was running 5 miles/day, weightlifting every other day, 1 mile swim 3 times a week thinking that would make me feel better about myself.
made me a very physically fit man with low self esteem who also drank.
then i got sober.
took an honest look at myself, found causes and conditions, and a solutuion.
all in the program of alcoholics anonymous.
i love who i am today. am comfortable in my own skin. i accept myself. completely serene and peaceful with me.
well worth the mental workout.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang in there Stewy. I had an argument with my husband about 4 days ago. I wanted to drink so bad. Husband drank about 12 beers that night. I guzzled seltzer water and went to bed early. I'm betting Husband felt pretty crappy the next day, but since we still weren't talking, I don't know. I was so angry, but very glad I didn't drink. As Leshar says, "Please don't drown your sorrows in alcohol". It won't make you feel better and things will be worse tomorrow. Keep reading and posting Stewy.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tomorrow is better for you Stewy

D
Old 09-19-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I don't know what the answer is for you and your girlfriend, but I'm sure you know that staying sober is the best choice you can make.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I second both Anna, D & Op's post

Stick close to SR stay posting & tomorrow is a fresh new day
Old 09-19-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't have too many words of wisdom right now. But I DO know that whatever the problem is, alcohol is not the answer. I've tried drowning my sorrows in alcohol...not only did it not help, but made things worse.

Hang in there.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are handling the situation well Stewy. Things may be more clear after a good sober nights sleep. Also great workout for your sober muscles, congratulations!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stewy, we all have lousy days, drinking will make it "lousier". I think your great, and should feel proud of yourself for maintaining your resolve. Sorry to hear your GF, maybe you can re-evaluate that relationship and make a difficult decision. You come first. Its your life.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

sometimes in anger people say things they don't mean, on both sides of the relationship fence.

I hope you can open some lines of excommunication soon and sort it out Stewy.

D
Old 09-19-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stewy I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. What about going out for a nice meal with your girlfriend? Something light and healthy that you'll both enjoy. Maybe take a walk in the sunshine and put this day behind you?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stewy wishing you a better day today
Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi guys

I apologised to my girlfriend for arguing and brink unkind. Trouble is.....it just feels like I'm back to meandering along pretty unhappy with the whole situation. It's too much upheaval to make any big changes, I'd end up depressed again.

Work is tough as I previously mentioned there are redundancies

I need a way to just work on myself but try and keep the deteriorating situation with my girlfriend as a secondary thing.

How can I do this?

I didn't drink by the way