Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Who is the biggest, most important influencer in your life of recovery?

Notices

Who is the biggest, most important influencer in your life of recovery?

Old 09-18-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My Higher Power. ❤️
Old 09-18-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Definitely my children. I would go to the depths of hell for them, getting sober is surely better than that!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

I didn't say it yesterday but mrs sw was a big reason I sobered up even though she don't like hearing that she prefers the I got sober for myself story which also was true

Thank you to everyone Inc the guests just seeing this site for the first time... Thank you
Old 09-19-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Rob Halford ,
singer, musician , sober since jan 1986 , long may he Rock !
Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

SR is my ONLY source of support. My inspiration is myself and what I want to be like and my daughter. I don't have any real life support because nobody in my life believes in an alcoholic that's not for them to decide...
Old 09-19-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I didn't say it yesterday but mrs sw was a big reason I sobered up even though she don't like hearing that she prefers the I got sober for myself story which also was true
Wasn't that also ultimately for yourself, SW? I doubt that the inspiration was to just show you can make it to Ms SW from a distance? Maybe more to have a good relationship that you are essential part of? At least this is how I view these things. The key is that we want to be sober to be able to embrace the possibilities in life that would not be open to us as drunks, and wherever the inspiration comes from is a good thing in my book. For example, for me my work was a very powerful inspiration initially, the notion that I had an ideal career and job for me that I started to destroy more and more with my alcoholic lifestyle, but luckily I was still very attached to it and just could not see it go. I thought about this everyday towards the end of my drinking and in early sobriety, it was a very strong motivation and influence even if fluctuating at times. I don't think these things are selfless by any means, we want these things because we are part of them and don't want to lose them. The bright side of attachment
Old 09-19-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Unquestionably, the God of my understanding.

He brings people into my life for many purposes one of which is recovery. I simply need to remember the message or assistance offered may not be in the form expected.

I attempt to remember this always,but fall short many times. If I am willing and keep my heart open , God's influence comes from the most unexpected places and the most unlikely of people - many of which are here and in the rooms.

I always need to remember, however not to place people on a pedestal. We are all human and if I do that it's not fair to them or me.

Thanks for making me think this through today - great question!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome responses guys keep em coming !
Old 09-19-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Being in the fellowship for many years I give it much credit along with the patience of the people who nursed me to health along with MY Higher Power along with my sponsors whose examples I was often able to follow.

BE WELL
Old 09-19-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My son and SR! The support here has saved my life.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sober Recovery was my 1st port of call. It then led me to AA. And for that, I am forever grateful.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Me x
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep em coming my awesome SR friends
Old 09-20-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bump
Old 09-20-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Rar

My life of recovery thus far is short. I owe it to the fabulous folks at SR. I am very grateful.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I can claim recovery, but I can tell you that I am a different person than I was 4 months ago. And I owe it to SR and my wife. You guys and my wife are the only one's who know how bad things had gotten. My wife told me last night how proud she is of me and that I'm a different person 9for the better). That was very nice to hear.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I know it's weird but Stephen King. He wrote a book called Dr Sleep in which the Danny character from the Shining is grown up and an alcoholic.
I'm a big fan--read every novel & short story he's put out.

My bottom helped, Plus all the awful withdrawal--I'll never want to drink again. Allen Carr's book Easy way to quit drinking.
this group of forums.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
I know it's weird but Stephen King. He wrote a book called Dr Sleep in which the Danny character from the Shining is grown up and an alcoholic.
I'm a big fan--read every novel & short story he's put out.

My bottom helped, Plus all the awful withdrawal--I'll never want to drink again. Allen Carr's book Easy way to quit drinking.
this group of forums.
In another thread I was just talking about the Allen Carr book. There's some valuable stuff in there.