Notices

boring friday night

Old 09-11-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

boring friday night

hi all I have been sober for about 80 days longest ever for me. I started drinking around 13 and I am almost 50 so my poor body has had a lot of abuse. this is really the only time I have made a real effort to stay sober and admit that I am an alcoholic.
surprisingly it has not been as hard as I thought it would be and this site has helped me so much even though I don't post much. But tonight I am really missing having my wine. I don't know if its the actual drink and the feeling it gives me or just the boredom I am feeling. I feel like I am missing something. I would love to get together with a friend for some wine at a restaurant or just watch a good movie with a glass of wine. but I know it will not be one glass and its not even worth it for one glass!! Just wanted to vent thanks for listening. Oh, just took a hot bath and started reading, Drinking a Love Story! Hope everyone has a good night!!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friday nights used to be difficult for me, but the further I got into sobriety, the easier it became. Now I look forward to sober Fridays. I don't even think about alcohol or missing alcohol. It started around 5 months. It gets easier.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats a good book. Life gets easier when you realize your missing nothing from alcohol.

A bath and a book you are on your way to a nice evening. Be well
Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

I have only 5 days now, but it's a tough night for me too. Actually, it's been a tough day. I admire how many days you have Skipper and especially admire how you came here to post. I lost a several months of sobriety by giving in and it has taken me several more months to recommit. Have a good night. You did well.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
I would love to get together with a friend for some wine at a restaurant or just watch a good movie with a glass of wine.
You could go to a restaurant with a friend, go to a movie. Without wine. But you aren't. Because it isn't boredom, you miss the wine. You say as much.

Not uncommon at around three months to start romancing the alcohol, mourning the "loss" of it as it sinks in you've quit drinking.

Just remember what brought you here.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi skipper, old habits die hard! It takes a while and a recovery program, mine was / is SR, to get out of the old habits feeling. We were so used to relaxing with a glass of or meeting friends for a glass of, it's hard to get out of that culture.

As Gniknus says, it does get easier.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you are right because I was always very happy to stay home order food watch movies and drink a couple bottles of wine. I have not been the type of person who needs to be out and about socializing I guess its just my old friend pino I miss!!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My Friday night might be boring, but I'll wake up tomorrow feeling good.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is a GREAT book, you will have a much better evening than you would drinking. Enjoy
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like boring compared to stupidity. Also, I won't wake up regretting my entire existence.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your good friend, Pinot doesn't miss you.
He's on to his next buddy already.

Good work coming here and congrats on your sobriety.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Skipper-

Congrats on your sober time and your decision to quit drinking!

I absolutely understand how you feel. I have 120 days, and was feeling the same way about my old buddy Merlot just last week. I also posted here on SR, and wise members talked me through it and today I am so thankful to say I am still sober!

The romantic feelings about drinking are becoming less and less, though- and I feel like I have made even more progress working through my cravings. If I am extremely honest with myself, drinking became not fun a very long time ago.

Just hang in there; you are doing great. A bath and a book sounds great- and that book is excellent.

Enjoy your evening, and your hangover-free morning tomorrow!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Way to go Skipper�� I'm feeling "antsy" tonight too....just fixed stress relief tea & riding the wave. Thanks for your post
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
you are right because I was always very happy to stay home order food watch movies and drink a couple bottles of wine. I have not been the type of person who needs to be out and about socializing I guess its just my old friend pino I miss!!
Yup. Me too.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well my dad is 52 and also a very heavy drinker, he has had his share of binges as I was growing up, and recently he told me he doesn't even want to drink its just a habit out of bordem, my grandad 78, also told me this "you get to the point where alcohol doesn't do anything except relieve bordem"

And for some excitement he said he is also gone sober for 30 days
Old 09-11-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Skipper, good for you for posting! Congrats on 80 days - that is awesome! I had three and a half months sober and I drank - I noticed that around 80 days I really started struggling. Started romanticizing drinking. The AV pipped up louder than it had been since the first few weeks. I really struggled and I ultimately drank. And guess what, it wasn't romantic. It wasn't "a nice glass of wine with dinner", it was two beers and a bottle of wine and blacking out and calling in sick to work the next day unable to keep food down until well into the afternoon.

I write all that to say you have 80 hard-earned sober days, don't let the AV take that away from you! Keep staying vigilant as you are tonight and you will make it through.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd usually be home drinking by now. A couple of vodka and cokes deep and watching a movie. Instead I went to a meeting with a few guys from my IOP. I haven't been having any cravings. They've been more like thoughts crossing my mind due to what I usually be doing if I didn't quit drinking. The struggle is real for sure.

Stay strong!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The last Friday night I drank I wound up in the hospital in a cervical collar.

I'll take boring, thanks.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thank to everyone for helping me not make a huge mistake. I don't know why this weekend has been so hard on me but doing ok and know I am not going to drink thanks to reading all these posts. I hope everyone is having a safe and sober weekend!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It comes and goes in waves doesn't it? I'm only day 19, let's both hope that if we hang in long enough the longing will slowly go away. I've been drinking since 14 (now 39) so I'm having to rewind a lot of years to recognise a me that didn't drink. But I want to reinvent myself.

Hope you're doing ok xxx