Notices

From South Asia

Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
South Asian

From South Asia

You would expect it would be hard to develop a liquor problem in a country with prohibition. You would be wrong. I suppose it was the same with prohibition in America. It didn't stop people from drinking. So here I am. A man who regarded liquor as one of the great passions of his life. Something which gave him so much pleasure. Something he relished. And savoured. And really enjoyed. Managing for long, just about to keep things in control. But then, as inevitably happens, the drink controls the man. Six days sober now. After a five day binge. Which left me collapsed on the floor, shaking hands, nausea etc.

Feeling a bit better now. And I have found this site a wonderful resource. Non-judgemental. Reassuring. With lots of good advice. Every story is unique, but there are so many common threads.

Good luck and good wishes to you all. Here's hoping I can stay off the juice for a bit longer this time than my last attempt (5 weeks). Where I was tempted on a beautiful summer afternoon by a bottle of chilled Chablis lying in the fridge looking at me with those beckoning eyes and telling me, '... it's so short and random anyhow, come to me baby'.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you, Horatio. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Horatio. Congrats on 6 days! Keep it up.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 6 days sober. You probably found this site while using Google. That's how I found it. This little site is a great place for people that are feeling alone as they get sober. When you talked about your 5 day binge and all the things that you went through, It brought back a lot of memory's for me. I use to be in that same place. I wish you nothing but the best. I hope you can find a new path in life. I hope you continue to be sober. I promise you things will get better with time. Just take it a day at a time. You're bigger than this disease. You can do it
Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Horatio!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Horatio
Old 09-03-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Horatio!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Horatio!!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Horatio

we have several members from SE Asia - post as much as you like, read around...we're here to help

D
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Horatio. Yes, we alcoholics will find a way, won't we? Trying to manage my drinking almost cost me my life. I'm glad you're seeing what needs to happen - we are here to help.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

...beautiful summer afternoon by a bottle of chilled Chablis lying in the fridge looking at me with those beckoning eyes and....

Nah! It was the debil in there! The DEBIL! Not for us!

Seriously, I had/have to do some heavy-duty self talk sometimes to not romanticize alcohol.

You can do this!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Horatio!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome friend. I also romanticized my drinking, especially when in special places or with my partner. I couldn't imagine ever enjoying travel again, yet here I am living in SE Asia, in a new relationship, and visiting many wonderful places. All sober. Life isn't perfect, but it's much more manageable.

When you said the Chablis was calling you from the fridge.. what was it doing there? I had to remove all alcohol from my home for the first 6 months, avoid drinking friends, venues, and travel. Then I sucked it up and got on with it.

What are you going to do differently this time? This site will help. I wish you the best.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
South Asian

Day 8. With most physical symptoms of withdrawal more or less subsided. Although some still remain - slight hand tremor. Difficulty signing my name. Perspiring hands occasionally. Need to get back into my exercise routine. Not really tempted to drink so far. But I know that time will come.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
South Asian

Sunday is over. Day 9 done. How do you keep the memory alive of how bad you felt when you overdid it last time? How do you ensure that as you get stronger you don't convince yourself that it wasn't really that bad? It obviously was. That is why you are here. Blackout drinking on a regular basis is not normal and shows you have a problem. Digest that. And with that knowledge, that you cannot touch it again, move on.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good observation, Horatio. One of my problems was that the memory of my last awful binge would grow dim. I wish I'd kept a diary & mentioned all the horrible details.

Nice work on reaching Day 9.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
South Asian

11 days Alcohol Free. It does get easier. You do feel stronger. I am trying to keep a clear image of what I was reduced to in my mind. This time, I will use that image if I feel tempted. That is where it leads, I will say to myself. Unless I want to visit that place again, I must resist.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Horatio
Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Horatio!

I had just as much problem with alcohol in SE Asia as I did in Vegas, Michigan, Ohio, Germany, Australia, India, Japan, Korea, California, Hawaii or Costa Rica.....

After many years I finally realized it wasn't the place.... It was the alcoholic.

Welcome.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horatio48 View Post
Sunday is over. Day 9 done. How do you keep the memory alive of how bad you felt when you overdid it last time? How do you ensure that as you get stronger you don't convince yourself that it wasn't really that bad? It obviously was. That is why you are here. Blackout drinking on a regular basis is not normal and shows you have a problem. Digest that. And with that knowledge, that you cannot touch it again, move on.
I started a journal or just a book of thoughts. In that, I wrote about being hung over and tried to write every little thing that I felt. I started this journal while being hung over and sick. So every time I read those first few pages, I remember. Soon you stop remembering what it is like to be hung over, and start focusing on what it is like to be sober and all the good things that come of it. So you stop focusing on what drinking was like, but start focusing on what life is like without booze and how good it is. Focus on the good of being sober, not on the bad. Because the bad of being drunk and hung over, outweighs the bad of being sober. The bad of being sober isnt really bad. Sure maybe you feel a little more, internalize things a little more, get more emotional (either sad OR happy), but all those things mean you are living life instead of going through life hung over, or in the foggy state that being drunk causes.

Once I took a step back and looked at things through sober glasses, I realized how many things I was missing. Even just the warm summer breeze, or the birds chirping, or the facial expressions of my kids, the small things that life has to offer. You dont see those small things life has to offer if you are constantly blurry eyed and feeling like crap.

Congrats on the amount of days you have put together. Keep it up.