Notices

Giving up in 2 days - scared!!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving up in 2 days - scared!!

Hi

I'm brand new to the site. I drink about 100-120 UK units per week - equivalent to roughly half a bottle of whiskey each day. This isn't to get drunk, it's just what I need not to suffer. I almost always drink alone and in secret.

If I drink any less than 10 to 12 units each evening I don't feel normal. I haven't had a day without alcohol in the last 5 years. Every day at about mid-day I start to get anxious, panicky, sweaty, nauseous, fatigued and unhappy. This feeling is only relieved by alcohol. I have been drinking heavily for about 10 years and I'm in my mid thirties now. I have had pain in my liver area for a few years on and off. My blood tests say I have high cholesterol and badly deranged liver function. No surprise there.

I've tried a million different ways to reduce my intake, taper down etc. and failed over and over again, so I've decided I need to just stop, otherwise I'll end up dead.

Accompanied by Lorazepam I plan to stop drinking completely from the morning of 5th September.

Any tips or advice? I'm very scared, although a little bit excited as well. I don't want to get this wrong like I have done so many times before. I think this might be my last chance before I end up getting seriously ill. I'm not the kind of person who would be able to go to AA meetings, but I would really appreciate anyone online who could help me.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, weeble!

If you already have the pills, why not stop right now? There is danger in continuing - you don't know what could happen.

You will be a bit uncomfortable, but it is the best thing to do. No reason to put it off.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Many of the people who go to AA meetings do not consider themselves the type of person who goes to AA meetings. But we go anyway, because we want to stay sober.

Online help is available here 24/7, but you have to work at it. Read around and post often!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was drinking as much as you and worse. We are a similar age. Just accept the first few days are going to be reasonably tough. I have read horror stories about stopping cold Turkey, but I'm not a doctor so I'd advise you to look into that first and approach your detox with all the tools available.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So you already have anti-anxiety meds.....just remember to taper off of those meds and don't drink on them. You should be READY to stop drinking once you start with the pills....otherwise your attempt to get sober will be worthless. Best Wishes!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My tip is to stop now, today. There is never a 'good' day to stop drinking, so just go for it. I assume you've talked to your dr since you have medication?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Weeble.

Please don't stop drinking completely without medical help.Withdrawals can be dangerous,things can go wrong with no warning.

AA is for everyone,don't dismiss it without trying it.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have good reason to be excited! Your life will be better without daily alcohol. It will probably take awhile to feel good, but you'll be safer immediately. Welcome to sr
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Weeble start today youl feel a lot lot better for it

We have both been down to the bottom of a empty bottle nothing is there for us

Trust me on this start today we'l be with you all the way
Old 09-02-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Weeble!!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not the kind of person who can go to AA either, but I did anyway because every little helps. I discovered that it's awesome!

Good luck to you, and please seek medical advice if you haven't already. Cold turkey can be dangerous.

Post often, support is always here
Old 09-02-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wishing you lots of luck and make sure you do it safely as it sounds like you are physically dependant take care x
Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome weeble - we know it's scary but you're among friends here

D
Old 09-02-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to meet you, weeble. I'm so glad you've made this big decision. We all understand what you're going through - and we'll be with you.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, weeble!
You'll learn a lot here.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck weebly. Is there any chance you can get into a rehab? They monitor your detox and provide tools to help you stay sober.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AA was helpful and even fun when I went in early sobriety. The support was awesome. I still catch men's meetings once in a while.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
p***enger

Wonderful decision, Weeble. That's about how much I was drinking, except I was on straight gin.

Expect shakes, sweats, restlessness, possibly itching (I had it), possibly unprovoked tears (I had that), etc etc. For about a week, maybe 10 days? Drink lots (of water) & you clean out toxins faster. If there's anyone you can trust, have their phone number handy or ask them to stay with you.

The thing about AA in early early recovery is, it's a place you can go almost any time of day (or even just call their number & someone will talk to you), and you can say out loud, "jeez, I haven't had a drink in 3 days & I'm jumping out of my skin! I'm afraid to walk across the street because I'll make a run for the bar!" -- and no one will bat an eyelash. They'll all say, yeah, we hear you, have a cookie.

Don't try to recover from alcoholism alone. That's torture, not recovery.

& Ice cream helps. Stock up on ice cream!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR weeble. Is there a reason you're stopping on the 5th and not today? If it is because it is a weekend I found that day 3 was the worst so likely to be worse on Monday than Saturday if that makes sense.

Tomorrow never does come Today is the best day to stop. It's the best thing I ever did. As others have said prepare to feel ill, keep well hydrated and eat whatever you need to eat. Listen to your body. Ice cream worked for me
Old 09-03-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello! Great site this isn't it? I've been reading about recovery for at least a year now, knowing I was going to have to make a complete break from alcohol.

I'm doing 100-140 units a week too, but mine is wine.

I'm stopping on Monday 7th September after booking in with my doctor in the UK. He's prescribed me Librium for 7 days and I have to be driven to the surgery (can't drive or operate machinery on pills) for the first 5 days for him to check my blood pressure etc... Then after the 7 days of tapering off the Librium I will be given 6-12 months medication to help stop the cravings.

I am excited, scared, worried, apprehensive, grateful, lots of emotions....

I'm female, 39 and hope to have kicked this out of my life for good ready for my 40th...

I have never researched so thoroughly or reached out for professional help before.

I've always just tried to moderate or abstain on my own which was always doomed for failure.

Good luck, keep in touch, we'll be in the same boat next week!