Notices

Giving up in 2 days - scared!!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow it's amazing to find someone in such a similar situation! Tonight is my final night before I stop tomorrow morning. I deliberately chose a weekend because I work Mon-Fri and spend most of the day Saturday and Sunday drinking at home on my own. My logic was to do the hardest bit first! If I can get through a weekend (my first dry weekend in at least 15 years) then I'll gain a lot of confidence.

In one way I'm dreading tomorrow and in another way I can't wait.

Like you I tried a million different ways to cut down and had a little bit of success sometimes but it never lasted.

I'll be a few days ahead of you but if you follow me up the hill it might feel just a tiny bit easier. I hope so, because I wouldn't wish an alcohol problem on my worst enemy x
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best. This is such a great place. If you've not had a drink yet today maybe just start now. Why waste another night
Old 09-04-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Weeble, We're all rooting for you as you begin this journey. You can do it.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Your story sounds remarkably similar, I tried to start a thread in the newcomers section but it wouldn't let me for some reason the page just goes white.

Anyway I'm 5 weeks sober and have settled pretty well into sober life, I just got back from a restaurant after watching my mates get pissed, make idiots of themselves and then drink drive home. I really didn't feel like I was missing out on much at all!

I wouldn't have believed I would be in this position a few months ago but it really wasn't as scary or as bigger deal as I built it up to be. The best piece of advice I can give is to give up when you truly decide that you've had enough, that's what I did and I found it so much easier when I 100% believed I was not going to drink, it was hard but I just got on with it because I didn't have a choice my decision was final.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going weebly?

D
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Are you started? I've got 48 hours and I'll be with you, I have my 3rd vitamin injection today, I like the idea that I'm being boosted up, I'm also stocking up on lemon, mint, ginger tea, tomato soup, all comfort things I might need next week.

Wishing you well xxx
Old 09-05-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good luck today Weeble.

I also felt a buzz of excitement. Yes there were some uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms but knowing that I would be much healthier in the longer term carried me through the early days.
The cravings were a pretty constant over the first few weeks and I found this very helpful: Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness
Old 09-05-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
Your story sounds remarkably similar, I tried to start a thread in the newcomers section but it wouldn't let me for some reason the page just goes white.

Anyway I'm 5 weeks sober and have settled pretty well into sober life, I just got back from a restaurant after watching my mates get pissed, make idiots of themselves and then drink drive home. I really didn't feel like I was missing out on much at all!

I wouldn't have believed I would be in this position a few months ago but it really wasn't as scary or as bigger deal as I built it up to be. The best piece of advice I can give is to give up when you truly decide that you've had enough, that's what I did and I found it so much easier when I 100% believed I was not going to drink, it was hard but I just got on with it because I didn't have a choice my decision was final.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Once you are separated from the alcohol, you do start to see clearly. It's just getting over those first psychological hurdles and showing yourself that you can cope without it. Then after a while it's really not a big deal. It's to stay sober that's the trick.

Previous time it was hard because I had a nagging doubt in my mind that I didn't 100% want to give up. Since I just committed 100% it really has been easy for me. When you convince yourself it's for the best you just get on it. Shrug.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi
weeble1980.

I am in the same boat as you from the UK. Drank roughly the same amount as you per week.

I am only on day 3 but all I can say is keep yourself busy, the first couple of days won't be that bad but I always fail around now.

Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rooting for you weeble
Old 09-05-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Weebly
Old 09-05-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hows it going weebly?

D
Today's the day buddy. Please check in. As others have mentioned, do you have someone who can stay with you? I am a grown a$$ man and I had my Dad sit with me for a whole day. It helps. You can do this man.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How goes it, I don't envy your situation. Just power through it and do whatever is necessary. Don't fall back into drinking, that is the easy way out.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi everyone thanks for your concern. I'm not doing too bad. I'm on day two now. Day one I felt like I was going to throw up constantly and really really edgy - every little noise made me jump. Stomach going round and round, big bad headache, you know the sort of thing. I slept ok last night and it was great to sleep all the way through and not wake up with a hangover. Cuddling my daughter and reading to her completely sober felt so much better and I even got a bit tearful. I'm focussing on these things to motivate me. Today was hard - a warn sunny day with a football game on TV - a great excuse to have a few beers. Instead I worked on the garden. Still feeling really nauseous and shaky with periods of intense anxiety. And really thirsty all the time, but maybe that's the hot weather! It's really hard but not impossible. I just hope it won't be like this forever. A few days ago I was scared about this process, but now I'm finding I can cope with it I've started to worry about how I keep this up once the withdrawal has passed. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it
Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

So glad to hear you have started!

I start from midnight tonight... Will check in again in the morning shouting DAY ONE AT LAST!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Being really thirsty is quite normal weebly. I remember I felt like I just could not drink enough water. It's your body cleaning itself. The anxiety was bad too but it does ease. Day 3 is often worse for many so be prepared and have lots of water, juice, and comfort food to hand. Congrats on day 2
Old 09-06-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Weebles wobble but they don' t fall down. At least none of the sober ones

Glad you are here!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by weeble1980 View Post
Hi everyone thanks for your concern. I'm not doing too bad. I'm on day two now. Day one I felt like I was going to throw up constantly and really really edgy - every little noise made me jump. Stomach going round and round, big bad headache, you know the sort of thing. I slept ok last night and it was great to sleep all the way through and not wake up with a hangover. Cuddling my daughter and reading to her completely sober felt so much better and I even got a bit tearful. I'm focussing on these things to motivate me. Today was hard - a warn sunny day with a football game on TV - a great excuse to have a few beers. Instead I worked on the garden. Still feeling really nauseous and shaky with periods of intense anxiety. And really thirsty all the time, but maybe that's the hot weather! It's really hard but not impossible. I just hope it won't be like this forever. A few days ago I was scared about this process, but now I'm finding I can cope with it I've started to worry about how I keep this up once the withdrawal has passed. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it
Hey Weeble
Great job on day two. Everything you're experiencing sounds really normal. And the thirst is completely common....you're just hydrating all those thirsty cells. I found that carbonated waters, no sodium ones, were great. I'd drink a 12 pack of em in a day.

I wouldn't 'worry' about how to continue abstinence but I would ponder a plan. Day 5 is the notorious 'I feel great, just one' day. At least for me. One day at a time, one right thing at time.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Beautiful update weeble. You will find a community of incredibly supportive folks on SR. Encouragement and wisdom abound. I am thinking of you. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by holiver View Post
Beautiful update weeble. You will find a community of incredibly supportive folks on SR. Encouragement and wisdom abound. I am thinking of you. Keep up the good work!
Hang in Weebie. Some B vitamins usually recommended, B1 specifically. Yes, I drank loads of water, sweated at night, felt dizzy. Withdrawal blows, only want to do it once, right? Take care, check in, we have all been there!