Notices

Wet Brain Worry

Old 08-30-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Wet Brain Worry

Hello, all.

I have had a complex relationship with alcohol since 1996, and am worried as I enter my late 30's that I might have done some permanent damage to myself.

In college I used to binge drink like many kids do, then that behavior carried over into my mid-late 20's. Like at least a 6-pack every night for a number of years. I stopped drinking until I was 31, then I thought I could "handle it." I have been drinking in a recreational way since.

I also have been diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder, and have dealt with that in various ways over the years.

Since about November of 2014, the way I feel/react when drinking has been wildly varied. Sometimes it takes days to recover from having a few drinks. Sometimes I can drink like a fish and wake up the next morning like nothing ever happened. Over the past 5 months, my wife and I have been going through a tumult of money troubles, family health issues, and a panoply of other things, but it feels like my memory is slipping. I worry that the fun I had when I could "handle it" is catching up with me.

At any given time, I can NOT drink for days at a time, but if I'm drinking I fall back in to previous habits.

I just had an MRI on 7/3/15, and things seem relatively normal. Blood/liver panels come back normal. Is it all in my head? Do I need to work on my stress level and cutting back on drinking at all?

Any and all input is welcome. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, if it helps:

White male, late 30's. Moderate regular exercise. Family history of cancer and stroke. NO family history of alcoholism.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sherlock

None of us are doctors and even if we were we couldn't diagnose you over the net.

If you're really concerned you need to see your Dr.

That being said, wet brain is not subtle. As I understand it, it's really a form of dementia.

Most of us feel a little foggy headed for a while after we quit.

If you can negotiate the net, and posting here, I think your chances of wet brain are very low indeed.

You might want to look at the phenomenon of Kindling tho:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

again, not a Dr, just pointing you to links that may or may not help

D
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We're not doctors but I think if you had wet brain there'd be little debate. I think it's pretty debilitating. You have had the liver panels done, nothing to do but wait on the results. In the meantime DON'T DRINK! Your best odds of a good outcome will be embracing sobriety.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dr Apt will clear this up bud
Old 08-30-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Sherlock

None of us are doctors and even if we were we couldn't diagnose you over the net.

If you're really concerned you need to see your Dr.

That being said, wet brain is not subtle. As I understand it, it's really a form of dementia.

Most of us feel a little foggy headed for a while after we quit.

If you can negotiate the net, and posting here, I think your chances of wet brain are very low indeed.

You might want to look at the phenomenon of Kindling tho:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

again, not a Dr, just pointing you to links that may or may not help

D
Sherlock This is brilliant advice from Dee .
Dee thank you for the link .
This is why this site is so beautiful it really does help save lives and sanity . If I had known 20 or 30 years ago about the progression of alcoholism i,d have had a much happier/healthier life . The thread in the link goes on to explain why our hangovers change over time from bearable to almost debilitating . What I get now aren,t hangovers theyr withdrawals , yes even after one normal night drinking in a family setting .

Anyway go get a GP appointment like I done , I thought I had a 100 things wrong and had exhaustive tests which showed no serious damage ( my thyroid was low, easily treated ) ALL down to anxiety exasperated by alcohol abuse . It will take my central nervous system some time to recover AS LONG AS I DONT DRINK .

Bless
Old 08-30-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Excellent advice above.

I can identify with you in certain respects during my drinking period and ponder why so many of us with good intellect overlook the thought that when we drink and certain negative things happen why don’t we logically stop drinking?
It should be pointed out that if we are alcoholic it is progressive and bad things will become worse sooner or later if we continue to drink. Alcohol in any form is a toxic fluid and NOT a health drink.

BE WELL
Old 08-30-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I just had an MRI on 7/3/15, and things seem relatively normal. Blood/liver panels come back normal. Is it all in my head? Do I need to work on my stress level and cutting back on drinking at all?"

remove the wet brain fear and stress from the question andd ask yourself the questiln again.

but ill say dont cut back on drinking. imo it reads like you should outright stop before it gets worse.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sherlock!!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Hi Sherlock,

I'm no doctor but what you are describing does not sound like "wet brain". Having said that, binge drinking is a huge risk factor for dementia and the best think you can do to safeguard your brain for the future is to KNOCK IT OFF NOW. This has been one of my biggest motivators. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I just read an interesting blog post called "How Alcohol **** Up Your Brain".
It includes study results and also explains wet brain. The blogger happens to belong to a 12-step program, but the article still contains information that can be useful to anyone.

I thought it was pretty informative. Welcome to SR!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SherlockLA View Post
Do I need to work on my stress level and cutting back on drinking at all?

Any and all input is welcome.
I think it interesting that the title of your post is Wet Brain Worry, yet you close your post with the question, need I cut back my drinking at all?

Continuing to drink, or wanting to continue to drink through health concerns should tell you a lot about your relationship with alcohol.