Notices

I am hurting. Bad.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tracy999 View Post
Exactly. I always cringe when I hear someone say they'd love to own their own business when you can see the visions of free time and extended vacations dancing in their head. It doesn't work that way at all.
You guys nailed it. Day off? Vacation? what are these things you speak of? Someone said to me, "I don't own my business, it owns me". And he was right.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Am I failure? I don't know, I did this 12 years. I gave it everything I had. But it hurts, and it hurts bad.
My father's work was his life, he gave it his all. I'm my father's son, I was the same way. I learned an important lesson when my father passed away: No one recites your work history when you die; your loved ones won't enumerate your business accomplishments.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jeff, I'm really glad you started this thread. I hope it helps to put your feelings out there and share them with those who care. I'm sorry for the pain you're feeling over letting your business go.

I had a good friend who did the same type of work - he did it for 20 yrs. & it almost did him in. He didn't know when to allow himself to move on & try something different. I'm glad you have the good sense to know it's no longer feasible to continue.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Jeff, I am sorry you are hurting. There is no way you are a failure. You are making the best decision for yourself and your family if you are dealing with that much stress, not to mention your sobriety. Your posts show you are someone that will always provide for your family and care for them deeply, so hold your head high. Echoing a previous poster, my father did tell me when he was dying that no one wishes they gave more to their company at end of life, but that they didnt spend enough time with family. He was rarely home when I was a child, I didnt get to know him well. It pains me that he.died with those regrets.
Looking forward to hearing what your next opportunity is.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a big decision you've made so I can understand the rush of feelings.

I haven't really faced anything comparable, but I can't see any failure either Jeff

I hope you'll be able to look back at this in years to come not as dead end failure but simply 'the next chapter'

D
Old 08-28-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
p***enger

Liquidating my equipment and selling my accounts will merely bring in enough money to square away existing debt. So its a total loss, and that's what hurts the most. Endless hours of effort....and in the end, nothing-zero.
Not true. Though you may not walk away with a profit from the sale, the business supported you & your family & your employees for many years. That's success.

You've been through a lot over the last year or so. Maybe in your appt w/your tax attorney you should get his/her insight on different options, and not make a final decision to sell out immediately.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Jeff, I agree with Courage! Selling your business is not a failure for you. It's now about moving forward. I'm sorry you have this big bump in your road but know that you can survive and thrive.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All of you are so wonderful. I have spent the last 2 days either staring at my computer screen or the TV not absorbing anything. Just stuck in my own brain. Perfect time to drink my sorrows away, didn't do it. Can't do it. I want to exit this the right way, which is why I am honoring my commitments through October. The upcoming weeks will basically entail two 9 hr days per week. That's fine. I owe it to the customers not to leave them out in the cold and the income is needed. But I have formulated a bit of a game plan and I see good things. One, I have been looking around and there are tons of jobs out there, two, I am not above doing any kind of work. As the owner, sure when times have been good my wife and I have splurged on a nice night out, or a mini trip, but I've also been underneath a piece of equipment or truck with grease up to my elbows in the middle of the night. I will do anything. Lastly, I do have a college degree and I worked at a large corporation for 6 years so I know "office culture". I ran a business from top to bottom. So I understand what a business model is. With that being said, I simply hope someone out there finds value in a middle aged guy with a couple bad knees. When I reviewed resume's I always looked for men that had stability on their resume. I steered clear of guys who had a dozen different jobs in the last 5 years. I've had 3 jobs in 20 years, I hope that comes across as a positive in the interview process.

I started this thread and shared this with you guys because you have become family to me. I really mean that. To a certain extent, YOU GUYS are my social circle. I hope that doesn't come across as pathetic, but its the truth. There awaits a good future for my wife and I, now its up to me to make it happen.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeff were 5010% with you bud
Old 08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BTDT, Thomas. The housing crash took me into bankruptcy. Fought for a year to stay afloat. Finally had to give up and liquidate.

Hurts like hell.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If it makes you feel better I am 150% upside-down on my home. We thought we were doing the best thing. Getting an investment to rent out later. Not the case 9 years later. Will take me another 10 years before i will hopefully shortsale. Like you said things are out of our control. Change is good sometimes.

Its tough when you put in blood, sweat and tears. Feels like it was for nothing and fruitless . But i bet you had a lot of great times with your business. It provided a lifestyle for you and your family. You still the option to keep it.

Feed the right wolf Jeff and be grateful for all you have.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I should add, successful business are often sold and people can retire, I am not one of them. Liquidating my equipment and selling my accounts will merely bring in enough money to square away existing debt. So its a total loss, and that's what hurts the most. Endless hours of effort....and in the end, nothing-zero. It sucks.
Oh no Jeff, it was not a "total loss" or "zero", don't say that and don't think it. How could your business be a total loss or zero when for the last decade or so you've made a living from it, given other people jobs and produced beautiful landscaping?

Most small businesses are like yours and mine, we live week to week "getting by" and when the time comes to sell or close down we maybe get out debt free.

The business has contributed to who and what you are today. You had the gumption to take a risk going into it, you persevered through to build it up, you learned to employ good workers and keep them happy, you managed to map out work and get it done. You are a different and better person today because of your business, for what you gave it and it gave you.

It's going to be a lucky employer who gets you Jeff.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

There awaits a good future for my wife and I, now its up to me to make it happen.
I think that's the way to look at it, Jeff. I sure can understand how this must be a sad transition, but we know you're not a guy who is afraid of hard work, you've got an entrepreneurial spirit and a lot of heart. Your SR family is with you, friend.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
quat

Can't echo enough the idea that your business, the one You built, was anything other successful. Letting it go now certainly has a negative emotional component , but don't think those years of productive entrepreneurship were without worth. Like everyone said, you earned your living and your employees did too, and the projects completed and appreciated , that is the real "stuff" and you did it. Good luck with whatever you set your mind on for the future, you are the kind of guy to it done, the evidence is in on that one. Your honest straight forward manner is going to appreciated by those receptive to it.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I closed my small business last year, and yes, it hurt. I walked away with nothing, but the worst part was that it was my DREAM and I just could not make it happen. But, my life got a lot easier, pretty quickly when I went back to working for someone else. I still get calls to do jobs from my old life- and now it just seems like too much hassle. And, like you, it wasn't the work that made me stop, it was the darn 10% who were never happy. They can suck the life right out of you.

You have to do what's best for you, and in the end, it will all work out. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, Jeff, that things haven't worked out as you had hoped.

I hope that something wonderful lies ahead for you.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, but just want to let you know I am thinking of you. It sounds like this decision is full of mixed emotions for you, understandably. You and your business are absolutely not failures.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Better things are ahead for you. Wish you the best. Reach for the stars Jeff- you proved how strong you are these past 3 months. At the time you probably didn't know that you had it in you. Use that strength as a platform to continue doing great things. Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear of your pain Jeff!!

Sometimes an end of an era can be the beginning of something new and exciting, at the time though the pain can be very real, but only through hindsight we may look back one day and be proud of what we achieved in that period of time and look forward to new opportunities!!

Hang in there!!
Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you, Jeff. Hope you're feeling better about things today.