Notices

Edgy...

Old 08-11-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Edgy...

I thought the obsession to drink had been lifted. I was wrong. I'm just so used to having something to take the edge off, to make me say "Ahhh.." I feel like I'm going to come out of my skin. Everything my husband says and does is like running fingernails down a chalkboard to me.
What is wrong with me? When will this get better?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eliasson,

I'm not sure how long you've been sober, but I think those feelings are fairly normal. It's not easy to learn how to deal with life without alcohol. Can you take a break and go out for a walk or call a friend?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you - at least no more than the rest of us

I was a heavy drinker for 20 years. I used drinking for all kinds of stress relief.

I thought about drinking for a few months - the thoughts faded , then got less and less.

I got better at dealing with stress, and felt less on edge too

Give it time Eliasson

D
Old 08-11-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate, Eliasson, I can relate. I wish I knew what to tell you.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could you perhaps place some distance between you and your husband? There is nothing wrong with you; you are healing and it is normal to feel tired, angry, and a whole lot of other emotions. Even if you go in to another room....watch a movie, read a book, go for a walk......suggest he visit relatives? Wishing you peace and serenity.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. Today is Day 13 sober, which is a miracle for me. I really want to get through the yucky part to see what's on the other side because so many of you with long term sobriety say it's worth it. I don't want to give up. Alcohol has had a grip on me for 36 years tho and I'm 49. So most of my life. I guess it will take time. Thank you for helping to carry me through this.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Eliasson , I remember replying to one of your posts . Was about your Husband making drinks & asking if you want one ... Makes me wonder if that's why you keep having trouble ?
It has to be very hard if that's still happening
Old 08-11-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Learning to deal with life on life's terms is tricky. You can do it, though.

It does get better - it takes a few weeks of discomfort, but it's so worth it. It's just discomfort, it won't hurt you.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nest- yes he was doing that. He is a very heavy drinker and I don't think he wanted to lose his drinking partner, and I wouldn't want to upset him so I would drink. This time I sat him down and told him exactly how dangerous alcohol is for me. I held nothing back. He still doesn't quite get it, but he has not had a drink in front of me at all and isn't bringing wine into the house so far. It helps so much. I hope it lasts, at least until I have some good sobriety under my belt.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eliasson, I know what you mean about that edgy feeling. It's like a curtain has been ripped down and you're seeing every raw and ugly thing that you wanted to keep hidden. The amount of information in a person's face completely overwhelms me sometimes!
I agree, get some space, even if it's just stepping into the next room for a few minutes. I have a "fingernails on chalkboard" co worker and sometimes all I can do is close my eyes for five seconds and take a little vacation in the land-of-not-saying anything in response.
It's going to smooth out. Be strong!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Elliason, I agree with others, there is nothing wrong with you. Just stay the course, at all costs. Nice to hear your husband is cooperating a little bit, hopefully that will continue and make it easier. 36 years is a pretty good stretch of drinking, I doubt bouncing back from that will happen in 13 days...but it will happen. Good job and I wish you the best.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear you! I'm always on edge. Alcohol chilled me out for a little while but then makes it worse.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I promise you by working on your sobriety & staying sober things will continue to get better
Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

That's one good thing Elliason , at least you don't have that temptation with your hubby
I really wish I could come up with a magic solution to make sobriety easier . In reality it isn't . It's just plain hard work , good & bad days . I look at it as you do get more Good days then Bad the longer you stay Sober ..
Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

http://womenforsobriety.org/beta2/wp...y-Sobriety.pdf

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-anxiety.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16475441
Old 08-12-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Best wishes. Not got any advice today as I am still feeling sad and not right myself. Just a hug.