Notices

Relapse

Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been to an AA meeting, which was enormously helpful. It is reassuring to meet people going through the same things as yourself.

For me, the fellowship of other AA members was more valuable in getting and staying sober, than working the steps.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here bunnymen.

I agree the important things now are see a Dr, stop drinking and plug yourself into places like SR, AA or some other recovery group.

It';s never impossible to quit, no matter how deep the hole you've dug...but it really sounds like you need some help...I would go with all the help you can get right now.

D
Old 10-19-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

1 Day at a time, we all started with hour 1, there were no shortcuts for any of us, so we understand how difficult this is.

Draw a line under alcohol and write a better chapter to your life, this week can be a happier one compared to last week.

Plenty of rest, get some fluids, some food, maybe some fresh air, check with a Dr to stay safe, and plenty of distraction, do things, hang out on SR, whatever it is try to go 1 hour at a time!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The booze has really bottomed me this time. Paranoia and depression, exacerbated by extreme alcohol consumption. I have been to hospital, to talk about my extreme agitation, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I have been given medication to deal with this, and I have a hotline for professional help. I have been told by one of the team that I have had severe depression for years, made 30 times worse by binge drinking. There is a plan to start off a proper rehab programme in 2 weeks. I have attended AA before, but it's been random, and it's been decided I need a more concentrated strategy. I have, of course, stopped drinking again. It's been a whole day and a half. I never want to feel like this again, so it's up to me. I will be reading the posts on here to help me. Can anyone recommend the best places to look on this site? Thank you
Old 10-19-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks. I do like that concept. 1 hour at a time
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hang in there bunnymen. I am glad you're getting help and support and congratulations on a day and a half. Sooner than you can imagine, you'll be looking back on that day and a half as the start of a really great new chapter in your life.... just keep at it.... day by day, hour by hour, even minute by minute when you're really up against it.

#1 priority - don't drink

and alongside that, self care in any way you can.

As for reading on here... the newcomer's forum is a great place to be. Try going through some of the top threads that are posted up above and are permanent - lots of good advice and direction.

If you haven't read the Big Book - I recommend getting a copy or reading it online.... AA meetings are helpful, but for me... being able to read the book anytime and at my pace was really helpful. The personal accounts at the back were really helpful too. I've read it several times now.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Bunny I am so glad you went to the hospital. As far as reading here I found the stickies in Recovery forum helpful, anything in newcomers. I read here a much as possible to keep my mind busy. Also the rational recovery web site, crash course in AVRT helpful in my experience.

Post here as often as you like. Take care!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunnymen1 View Post
I don't know where to start, apart from at the beginning. This has been one of the worst weeks of my life. Started drinking 6 days ago, and basically haven't stopped. Have been drinking just to get through the night, and obliterate thought, and just to sleep. Feel desperate. All I know is that I have to stop. Please help. Just tell me where to start.
im very glad ya made it back.where to start. welp, how bout dumping the alcohol, calling your sponsor, getting to a meeting and working the steps as layed out in the big book?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

. I will be reading the posts on here to help me. Can anyone recommend the best places to look on this site?
The forum you're in - Newcomers - is a great place to start. There's also the Alcoholism forum.

Our Stories of Recovery forum is great inspiration too

why not check out our Class of October support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-17.html

D
Old 10-19-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunnymen1 View Post
Thanks. I do like that concept. 1 hour at a time
I was at 15mins at a time at one stage, it feels like a life time ago now, but we all had to start right at the beginning, none of us jumped to 1 Month over night, we all had to go through exactly the same journey, and that's how we know you can do this!!

I used to play online scrabble every evening after work, it was the speed 15min scrabble, I'd play 4 games an hour, and after each game, I was another 15mins closer to bedtime, and another Sober day chalked off!!

We've all been there, fighting in the trenches!!