Notices

I'm back

Old 08-09-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

Hey all,

Sorry for the long break - Florida was amazing...we saw turtles, manatees, dolphins, shells. Son absolutely loved it.

I did drink however, not much, a few beers a night...my parents are both alcoholic and were a bit of a nightmare...they started drinking wine at 10am, and would pass out by 9pm at the latest...they bought me beer and just kept on and on at me. It was just easier to crack one and steadily sip. I never got drunk, and I controlled it. I honestly just could not handle my parents nagging me to drink!

One night, at a hotel, I had to demand my dad go back to the room, and my mom sit with me in silence as they were both wasted and embarrassing...yelling and cursing at anyone who looked at them wrong. I then had to carry my mom back to the room - so embarrassing. So, while I drank a beer or two, I also had a big lesson in why I do not want to continue.

So, it is back on the wagon for me...I am hoping by the time they come next year I will be beyond the point they can pressure me.

I feel good, I think I did well in the sipping a couple of beers and not drinking a 12 pack - I could not have done that without the sober time under my belt.

Back at home now, parents left yesterday, so back to the old routine!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh and after the night of the yelling - neither of them remembered anything! My dad did apologize that night when I got to the room, but by the morning, both of them acted like nothing had happened, and when I brought it up - they both claimed I was exaggerating and as they both had no recollection, I must be wrong - an alcoholics logic right there! I never want to embarrass my family that way. It is motivation in itself.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I'm glad you survived the trip. Dealing with your parents sounds like a lot of work. It isn't fun.

I'm glad you're back.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a very toxic environment.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow, glad you survived without getting drunk. I would have lost it... and I don't mean by getting drunk. Family or not I will not put up with that behavior any longer. My tolerance for drunks has totally gone away. It would be one thing if they were in control with their behavior, but as you point out it is normal to them since they never remember the behavior.

A good reminder of what being drunk is like. A good reminder of the "fun".

I hope you are stronger next year, maybe come here and post next time this situation arises? You survived, but it could have been a different story.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, it was an amazing vacation, and as they paid, I felt like I could not say much - and as they came all the way from the UK, and I only see them once a year, I did not want to make it difficult. I was definitely more outspoken about their behavior than ever before!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back, learning. I know you can keep it going in the right direction.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk