Notices

9 days and getting harder?

Old 08-07-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 days and getting harder?

Ive got 9 days and I'm doing everything within my power to not go to the store and buy wine. I've been going to meetings and talking to my sponsor. Most days are ok. If the craving hits I distract myself and ride it out til it passes. I'm upset with my husband and I am concerned I will drink. I love him, but some things are unacceptable and the only way I could deal with that before was to drink and just ignore it. I want sobriety so badly but I am not sure I can do it.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Nine days is a great, start and even better that you're going to meetings and have a sponsor.
It sounds like you have some issues to deal with that you were able to ignore with alcohol, but the number one priority for now is to not pick up that first drink. Do whatever you need to do to prevent that. Get all the support you can right now and remember that you won't always feel like this.
It's guaranteed that drinking will not fix anything in the long run. Remember why you stopped; think that whole drink through, from the beginning to the end. Remember all the good things about not drinking, like no hangovers.
You can do this!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you are ready to learn some healthy ways to deal with this. You said some things with your husband are unacceptable, so maybe you could leave the room, or leave the house if this happens? You can do this!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

9 days is great. And yes many of us drank to avoid relationship issues. I choose a sober me and for me to be really happy. Sometimes that means addressing those in our lives that scare us and make us want to drink to escape. Pick you - don't drink.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I'm doing everything within my power to not go to the store and buy wine.
That sentence only makes sense to an alcoholic.

9 Days is great! Keep up your sobriety and it will get easier. It takes a while to learn new habits, but you can do it!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is still early days, but you are doing really well!!!!

I found alcohol only gave me a brief respite from my problems, then they came back worse than before, with shame and self hatred to boot.

B
Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your replies. This is so so hard and I've failed so many times. I wish I could fast forward through the early recovery part. I'm terrified and so used to just blotting things out with alcohol. I really want to give myself the best possible chance of staying sober and I could not do it without all of you. Thank you I am so grateful.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is no situation so bad that alcohol can't make it worse.

You can't fast forward through early recovery...just remember that you don't want to rewind either. You can do this!! It is worth it.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're doing great Eliasson. Early recovery is the great transition period - it's tough, but you have support

you can get through this,

Rest assured it can and will get easier

D
Old 08-07-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
Thank you so much for your replies. This is so so hard and I've failed so many times. I wish I could fast forward through the early recovery part. I'm terrified and so used to just blotting things out with alcohol. I really want to give myself the best possible chance of staying sober and I could not do it without all of you. Thank you I am so grateful.
It's not ever going away, Eliasson. You could be twice as far along in recovery and still get an urge to drink. Try not to fight it, just accept it. The key is building up our defenses so we know what to do when those urges hit. Just remember too, the only way to get further along in sobriety is not to drink.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Try working those steps. You need a new treatment for alcoholism, it's in working those steps!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job on day 9 Eliasson
Old 08-08-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How are you holding up, 9 days is great.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I made it through Day 9 sober and am on Day 10 ��. I went to a meeting this morning that I used to go to a long time ago and all I thought about the whole time was "I need a drink". I'm not sure if it's because when I attended that meeting In the past I always would end up drinking again? Maybe it was a trigger for me? I'm not sure if I should try that one again or just stick to the new meetings I've been attending this time.
In any case, I did call my sponsor after the meeting to tell her how I was feeling, and I think that's progress? Before I'd just smile and tell everyone I was fine and leave the meeting, then end up drinking again. So I'm trying to do it differently this time.
Thank you for checking on me and for the encouragement
Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 10. Being honest about your feelings and asking for help are good progress. You can do this, Eliasson. One day at a time. It will get easier, I promise. It just takes a little time and some work on our part. You're doing both right now. Keep at it!
Old 08-08-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would of had my 9 days but I screwed it up. Don't give it up! You can do it. I understand about getting upset and drinking. I realize now it magnifies it and makes things so much worse. You can do it!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 10 is fantastic Eliasson!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Think of another Day 1. And how awful Day 1 was...and sometimes Day 2, 3, 4. You're doing so good and your cravings are totally normal! Last year when I quit for 17 days before a relapse, I felt AMAZING. I only relapsed because I told myself that I could moderate since I had already made it 17 days. Boy was I wrong. You can do it. I promise you can. Meditate, hide in bed, go on a walk, turn on a comedy show, do ANYTHING you can to not give in to the urge. It's so hard, but it truly is a mood and it will pass.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you! Day 11 now and I can totally relate to going for a period of time without drinking and then deciding it must not have been a problem so I drink again. It seems as soon as I start feeling better this happens to me, so I'm trying to remember that the reason I'm feeling better is because I haven't put alcohol in my system, and that doing so will put me right back where I was before. But it's not easy.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It's not easy at first, but I know from experience that as long as you do the work, it will get easier. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. I eventually got to a place where I no longer had cravings. Thoughts maybe, but they were fleeting and pretty easy to rule out.
Way to go on day 11! One day at a time, you can do this.