Notices

Alcoholic neuropathy - anyone had it ?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic neuropathy - anyone had it ?

Hi, I posted last year about alcoholic neuropathy . I have stopped drinking since March but still have severe pains in my feet. Has anyone else had this ? How long does it take to go away ?
Thanks
Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have heard it mentioned here, but you really need to talk to your dr about the issue and see if there is any information he can give you. I'm sorry you're still suffering.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had never heard of alcoholics neuropathy so I googled it. Wow does that fit, I had no idea.
Yes, I do feel it in my feet. Not pain, just a very uncomfortable, unsettling feeling.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You have also said in the past ( you've posted many threads about this ) that 2 neurologists have both said you don't have neuropathy, but you were also still drinking then. Have you had a follow up visit with a doctor since? You know we cannot medical advice here.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have "mild neropothy".

I don't have pain ... I have just lost feeling in spots. the worst was before I knew I had it and I got into a too hot bath cause I couldn't feel the heat.....bad idea.

you really need to talk to your dr. There are things to do. For me I have to be sure to test the water before I bath or do dishes and such with my elbow or some part where I don't have the neropothy. They also sell temperature moderators that make sure you don't use too hot of water. I also had to turn my hot water heater down.

When I was diagnoised with this, I was told that it doesn't go away... but it did seem to get a bit better over time...but not much... so talk to the Doctor.

I've always been told with the results of my drinking that it isn't so much about "getting back" but more about "not getting worse". It's sad to say, but that is where I am stuck at the moment.

I hope you learn to manage the damage that is done and don't create anymore (hug).

Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes Scott , I now have a firm diagnosis but it took me until March to stop drinking . I was told by my doctor it would resolve but it doesn't seem to have at all . I am not seeking medical advice - just hoping that someone who has had it can tell me how long it takes to go away . Thanks .
Old 08-05-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
Yes Scott , I now have a firm diagnosis but it took me until March to stop drinking . I was told by my doctor it would resolve but it doesn't seem to have at all . I am not seeking medical advice - just hoping that someone who has had it can tell me how long it takes to go away . Thanks .
How long did your doctor say it should take? Have you followed up since?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He said it could take 'months' or 'years' and in some cases it never resolves .. But I have read other stories ( some on here) where it seems to resolve quite quickly ( in weeks) ... I would just like to hear from someone who has had it ..
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 4 years ago, caused by type II diabetes, which was brought on by drinking. The main symptom was stabbing pains in my toes, plus numbness in the toes. I stopped drinking completely 2 years and 8 months ago, and it has improved somewhat - I haven't had any pains for at least 2 years, and I think the numbness has improved a bit. I may have just got accustomed to the numb feeling, and don't notice it as much. I also eat better and exercise more than I used to, so perhaps that helps. I think things gradually improved in the first 6 months, but certainly things are not back to normal.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have it mildly in my feet, just up to below the knees. Not sure if it's alcoholic neuropathy or pre-diabetes though. Always just assumed pre-diabetes, since it runs rife in my family, and is one of the reasons I eat so healthy.

Doesn't hurt or anything, and is just numbness. Bit of a pain, because you stumble around like you're drunk even when you're totally sober when doing things like taking a step down from somewhere, picking your feet up to put your sandals on, etc. It's hurt my balance, so I stumble a bit, and usually have to find something to hold onto, and I'm only 33!

There have been times in the past where it was extremely bad for a month or three. Not sure what caused it, but extremely painful to walk, and things like stairs were the worst.

Then on my latest binge I definitely got an introduction to full on alcoholic neuropathy, and it scared the hell out of me. My entire body went numb in the same way, but about 10 times moreso. I lost just basic motor skills, and struggled with things like putting a duffel bag over my shoulder, opening the lock on the front gate, etc. Thankfully that's subsided now.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ive heard it mentioned but i have no idea what it is maybe get a Dr to have a check up
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for your comments/advice everyone. I definitely have more pain than numbness which hasn't really changed since I stopped drinking. I find the drugs they offer ( neurontin , lyrica) so mind numbing I can't function. Any other ideas as to how to reduce the pain ??
Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion, but maybe try mixing a bunch of cayenne pepper in with a glass of orange juice, plug your nose, and gulp it down. When it was extremely bad for me, I found that helped ease the pain a little, although not much.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi, I have neuropathy in my feet... numb, and painful at the same time. They are also ultra sensitive but as Ananda said, it takes a couple of seconds to realise how hot your bath water is lol! When I first got it, it was so bad that it felt like I was walking on glass with every step, it's now become much better over time (4 years) and although I know my feet will never feel 'the same' again, I just accept it and now wear comfortable shoes
Old 08-06-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone ...Zee , can you remember how long it took after you stopped drinking for the pain to lessen ??
Old 08-06-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Icandothis, please talk to your dr for medical advice.

Some posts have been removed and the thread is now closed.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I second seeing a Dr Icandothis!!