Notices

What helped YOU getting through the beginning?

Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

I leant on this community a lot.
Anytime I wanted to drink I posted here (usually to someone else).

Helping others reminded me I really did know what was good and what wasn't, and it reinforced in me that I had a lot more goodness, use, and decency in me than my addiction would allow me to see

D
Old 08-13-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I've always enjoyed coloring , seems they just don't make good ones anymore ! Hobbies & more Hobbies - arts & crafts mostly . After their finished I have something to look back on I made a Hook Rug at the beginning of my journey . I have it on the floor next to my bed . Oil paints ( paint by number) . Nail art . Got a sew machine , just to make over older clothes - to something new . Keep busy - always SR when you need a lift .
Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Checking into SR all day every day and posting every day in my May 2012 class thread
Make sober plans during normal drinking hours (I went to the book store A LOT in the beginning)
Learning about and recognizing the "addictive voice"
"Playing the tape through" (instead of just thinking about how good that first drink would be, think about how the craving for more would automatically kick in, think about all the unsafe ridiculous things I would do, the fights I would start, the horrible anxiety and regret I would feel the following morning- it started to not look so good anymore)