Notices

What helped YOU getting through the beginning?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sharing with only a select few (wife) in the beginning to avoid peer pressure was great. This forum was HUGE for me. Went to a few AA meetings at first, but not a huge fan at this stage. Replacing alcohol with ginger ale, ginger beer, sparkling water/cranberry, etc. helped. The momentum gained, now I share with everybody that I don't drink (if it comes up) and rarely need the sugar fixes with my drinks.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I decided to try sobriety again on May 8, 2015. I've gone from having around 230 posts here on SR on that date to almost 2,200 right now as I start day 90. I posted here about near every single little bitty or big huge major craving or thought of drinking or any other issue I've had in my life since May 8. Building up this accountability to myself and others by active participation on these forums has been the cornerstone of my recovery so far. There's an amazing amount of power in the simple act of one addict helping another.

Basically I've put the same amount of time into my recovery as I put into my drinking.

Also I didn't take that first drink no matter what, and as long as I didn't take that first one I didn't have to worry about the second or third or tenth drink that would almost always follow for me.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Aa, group therapy, seeing an alcoholic outreach team, books, journaling, reaching out, going the extra mile each and every time
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

After de-tox and a 30 day in house rehab I put " my recovery first". Meaning I rode the bus M- F to AA Noon Meetings. I immediately got the cake Committment at one meeting and greeter at another.

I came home from rehab to a husband and son who are also in active recovery. I also went to a Fabulous Big Book Workshop that 1st week home. Been going here ever since where I've been the treasurer for the last 2 years. I'm on a Convention Committee for March 2016 in Laughlin, NV. Having Committments made sure I went to that meeting in the beginning.

I put me first. Working my Program with gratitude now.
Bobbi
Old 08-05-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Reading the Big Book helped me realize a few things.

1. I was a textbook alcoholic. Basically there was nothing unique about my drinking or situation. How could I be unique when every one of my thoughts and behaviors was written there, in black and white.

2. There would never be a return to casual drinking. I hung onto this one for a long, long time.

3. Even after 10 years of sobriety there would me no testing the waters. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

4. Others have successfully maintained sobriety. This includes people who were not as bad as me as well as people who were worse off than me.

This knowledge helped me in the beginning and still does.

Another HUGE one:

I knew that if I started drinking again then I would have to have the first day and first week all over again. I figured I only wanted to put myself through that hell one time.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Support was the key for me, too many times I tried to do it alone, but addiction likes isolation because it can sell us all the fairytales and myths of the day and get away with it, "just 1 drink won't hurt" or "things will be different this time"!!

Support gave me something outside of myself to keep me focused on the task at hand, it gave me a second opinion on things, and that's important, don't always trust your own mind, because it may be your addiction selling you a story, ultimately it allowed me to short circuit my own thought processes.

No matter what it is, SR, meetings, support groups etc etc have plenty of support in your plan, soo many arrive at SR, disappear for months, come back and wonder why doing it alone didn't work, in isolation, where our addiction can make any idea sound like the best idea in the world.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile

Once my wife was aware of my issue and I was completely honest with her I really started my recovery process. I became accountable to someone other than myself. My wife is more important and a louder voice then my AV
Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For me I was very very tired, as I was going through withdrawal I had very little appetite so I dosed myself up on antioxidant smoothies and soup. I slept LOADS took daily supplements of B vit complex and vit D. Once my energy returned I kept myself busy, did the housework (which id neglected as a drunk) I watched a movie every night, picked up my guitar again and listened to music (i love music thats like my drug!) I went and am still going to AA and spent a huge amount of time (and still do) on SR I found an alternative beverage which I enjoy and ultimately im taking each day as it comes. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

fab post btw very helpful to the newbies too x
Old 08-05-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

1. Starting with "The End in Mind". Embracing my long term goal made short term challenges more manageable.

2. Accountability to my family and August 2014.

3. Recognizing this was a choice, not a punishment- and embracing the journey.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post

3. Recognizing this was a choice, not a punishment- and embracing the journey.
Some great feedback throughout this thread. I think Ultramarathoner hit on something vital there. Personally, I've notice a lot of struggle when the focus is on being deprived instead of being freed.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dogs helped me a lot. Realizing that I couldn't care for them properly if I was drinking. Walking them whenever I had an urge to drink. Their love got me thru.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I found that structuring my time helped a lot (i.e. "I will spend this much time on this activity, then this much time on this activity" etc.) Also, logging onto this site daily helped. Staying away from bars, reading about the benefits of sobriety, requesting support from one or two close friends, getting plenty of rest (I was also super tired in the beginning), re-learning how to eat properly. Not drinking or obsessing about drinking frees up a lot of time to do other things
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your respons Some good things that will help me I think
Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
quat

Definitely choosing not to drink, like UM and Ven pointed out. Consciously making the choice to not drink, no matter what, as opposed to depriving yourself of drinking. The AV will pray on the idea of deprivation and can be especially 'loud' in the early offing. Decide to not drink and stick with that stance no matter what. The other suggestions ie hobbies, new activities, schedules , journaling exercising, eat. are great ideas to help with keeping the resolve. But in and of themselves they don't create or bring the resolve , they help promote a better situation in which to stay with your decision . Wanting to or the feeling or urges to, or cravings of are not signs of failing to have and keep your resolve, it's the AV not willing to let the addiction be starved out. Not drinking no matter what, is The thing , as time passes there will be less and less "what" to matter.
Make a decision stick to it, and find things to occupy your mind and free time(both of which you will have way more of ), because you no longer drink.
You got this
Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Posting on soberrecovery.com regularly early in my sobriety helped me tremendously. It's been more than six years for me, and I feel very grateful to the people who offered me advice here during those first days, weeks, and months. I can't stress enough: engage people on this website if you're struggling…*or even if you're just looking to interact with others.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi there. I was able to log three and a half months sober by staying focused on sobriety and the good things it would do for me. I focused on the sober self I wanted to have: the healthy person who wakes up without a hangover and is able to experience new and exciting things on the weekends rather than being drunk/hungover the whole time. I joined the April 2015 class here on SR, and those folks have been my rock. I highly recommend joining the August class.

Another important skill I use is "playing the tape through" to not allow the AV's positive spin on drinking take hold of me. Best of luck to you!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Im very new as well! So far whenever I had have a craving I redirect myself to something else... I can really become obsessed with the thoughts.
I read, I write, I listen to music, I exercise I go to a meeting..
I remind myself where drinking has taken me many times before which sometimes helps!
I also have a friend who is in recovery that i can text and he is at my door within minutes to discuss the issue. that has been my greatest help so far.

We are all here to help you!! xoxoKeep it up
Old 08-13-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It will be my day 1 (again) tomorrow. Got plans all day tomorrow. And the house is empty of alcohol now.

I'll make sure I will come on here whenever I need it. I know it helps.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the very early days, walking was an amazing help (still is!).

Volunteer work helped me to begin to feel good about myself and that was great.