Notices

Not AA, then what?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not AA, then what?

For years, I have tried to stop drinking and using by going to AA and NA. Recently, I took the decision to find another way. Their method is simply not for me. So I am doing research on what's outthere. To those of you who have been sober without AA or NA, which method (if any) did/do you use?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here

SR link to different methods -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I tried many different ways. Ultimately is was my acceptance and commitment that made the difference. Any program won't keep us sober without those, imo.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That would be me I'm guessing, I'm a bit introverted for AA is how I feel about it. I used this site plus faith I guess to remain sober once I realised I have a substantial problem with alcohol.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Welcome, glad you're here

I tried many different ways. Ultimately is was my acceptance and commitment that made the difference. Any program won't keep us sober without those, imo.
Thank you for the link Fly N Buy. I completely agree with you in regards to acceptance and commitment! Thanks again
Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've already posted on one of your other threads. Seriously, you might want to look in to AVRT. Many people find it to be a complete game changer.

Best wishes.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good link Fly plenty of information for futurev to look at if aa isnt for you there are alternatives but it'l only work if you work it
Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Our Secular Connections area of the Forum is a great read for ideas in the stickies!!

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I tried everything. I did AA, SOS, SMART, Therapy, etc. I found the only method that really worked was to not pick it up and pour it down my throat. Seriously, I over-complicated things and made it an insurmountable task. I just look at it as "drinking is not for me" and do something else now instead. I set goals for work, fitness, family and pursue those in a manner that does not leave a place for the destructiveness alcohol will ALWAYS cause in my life "if" I pour it down my throat. Otherwise, it has no effect at all.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome...

I think it's less about the method than the desire, readiness and willingness.

Apart from that, I can contribute that I have used a balanced approach to sobriety that has included lifestyle changes, exercise, AA, this site, meditation, gratitude, counseling and regularly, consistently CHOOSING sobriety.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

futureve , You have to find "really" what works for you . I tried numerous times myself . AA gave me tools which still help today , but It didn't help me to stop only for a short time. I did it myself , just stayed away from it . Didn't put myself around it . I learnt my triggers . I also let my drinking friends know , so they wouldn't come over with any or offer me any .
That's the only thing that stuck for these 2 years . As "totfit" says , just don't Pour it down your throat
Old 08-02-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find some way to stop that works for you. I think motivation is so important. And, keep reading and posting.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got and stayed sober with the help of an addiction counselor and daily visits to this site. I no longer see the counselor but come here every day. It's been working for me for over five years now.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AVRT is what worked for me.

Or maybe it just happened to be the method I landed on when I finally made the decision that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.

I don't really "do" anything now except live my life as a non-drinker and be thankful for how much better it is.

I pop into SR on a pretty regular basis to read posts and remind myself of how thankful I am that I don't live like I used to anymore.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
I've already posted on one of your other threads. Seriously, you might want to look in to AVRT. Many people find it to be a complete game changer.

Best wishes.
And I followed your advice, I ordered the book Looking forward reading it!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Here's to hoping the RR book and AVRT will make sense for you...it has for me!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eve

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Pick a way that makes sense to you

D