Notices

Any birthdays

Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any birthdays

Still been going to meetings daily but I may slow that down a bit in the next couple of months (I live in MI with the crazy weather come fall and winter)

Anyways, the question of "does anyone have any birthdays/milestones" comes up at meetings in the beginning and I hear people announce their days, months and years. It is a great thing to hear. However, I didn't feel right announcing my 30 days, and I don't plan to do my 60, 90, 6 months ones either.

I guess I know that the zigzags I've had in the past make me reluctant to "celebrate" too soon. A year (God willing) would be one a "might" announce. But even then I feel as if I could be premature in my celebration. I don't know what tomorrow has in store.

Mentally I guess it puts a timeline limit on my sobriety length since I ultimately don't to drink again at all. I don't wanna say 2 years and then slip. That would suck since I know how difficult its been to get this far.

I'm fine with posting it here, but I just don't want an on the spot celebration for a time frame of sobriety I know I could have had by now if I had just quit in the first place. Maybe my thoughts on it will change in the future when I have more time.

Today is day 46 for me. Feel good about that, but I don't wanna get comfortable with anything.

Just some thoughts of mine at the moment (if they made any sense)

Thanks for reading and posting you guys stories and advice. Helps a lot.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your sobriety, no matter the number of days, it is a fantastic thing you are doing for yourself. Regarding milestones and counting we are all different and not counting/sharing is absolutely fine if you feel it's better for your own sobriety.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It's most definitely your decision as to whether to acknowledge various lengths of sobriety at meetings, and I can certainly understand not wanting to do so. But I will say that I've been told by many oldtimers that we don't get up and receive sobriety chips for ourselves--we do it for that person sitting in the corner who is still suffering. It's a visible way to show that there is a better way of life waiting for them and that long periods of sobriety are possible.

Plus I'll say for me personally that I've been the king of relapses. Most of the time I did so silently without ever asking for help for others or admitting to anyone besides myself that I'd drank again. Announcing my sobriety date when I'm called on and picking up sobriety chips on my various monthly anniversaries is a way for me to build accountability to myself and others. I'm confirming to myself and those around me that I am not drinking anymore, no matter what my past history is.

If you keep doing tomorrow what you did today to stay sober, the days will keep adding up.

Congrats on day 46! That's amazing.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't want to announce 30 days in case I slip. I don't want to announce 60 days in case I slip. I don't want to announce 90 days in case I slip. Maybe in a year I might announce it but what if I relapse after that? Then it would be a premature celebration.

With all that above, the one one thing I hear the most is that I am PLANNING to relapse. I'm just not exactly sure when.

How about getting away from that thinking and quit for good. All this one day at a time thing always leaves tomorrow open in my opinion.
Stay away from the people who believe that relapse is a part of recovery. It is not. And thinking that if you quit going to meetings you will relapse is a great disservice to people who attend meetings in early sobriety.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 46 is fantastic!!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your sober time