Notices

Gotta start somewhere...

Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Linz,
The fact that he said he would help me I thought was sweet of him. It is time - we aren't getting any younger.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am currently not drinking today, it is 6pm here and I feel fairly certain I will make it through today without drinking. But no, I would not consider myself sober as this is yet another "day 1" for me. Some people have a lot of "day 1's". The important thing is to keep trying. I will get there, I hope this is my last day 1. I also hope that you can make tomorrow your first and only day 1 and that you don't have to suffer relapses like some of us do. But if you do fall please keep coming back. The fight is worth it.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I am currently not drinking today, it is 6pm here and I feel fairly certain I will make it through today without drinking. But no, I would not consider myself sober as this is yet another "day 1" for me. Some people have a lot of "day 1's". The important thing is to keep trying. I will get there, I hope this is my last day 1. I also hope that you can make tomorrow your first and only day 1 and that you don't have to suffer relapses like some of us do. But if you do fall please keep coming back. The fight is worth it.
I will be thinking about you all night. I have to log off of here now. But thank you.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum FallAhead!!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family FA. I know you'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi FA - Welcome! You're among friends - we know what you're going through because your struggle is ours.

This site is full of wisdom and resources, so take some time to explore.

You'll want to create "a plan" for your sobriety. There are many methods available, and as you read more here, you'll discover the ones that work best for you.

The best advice I got in the beginning was to do anything it took to go to bed sober tonight. . .

Wishing you well on your journey to recovery!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome FallAhead -

Glad to hear that you've decided to put your energy into getting sober. Getting sober was one the best thing that I've ever done for myself and I wish sobriety for you too.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by FallAhead View Post

All – is it inappropriate to ask how long people have drank and how much they would drink each day on this board?
It's not inappropriate and a lot of people do it - I guess we all have a need to see where we fit.

I was a sunup to bedtime drinker by the end for several years.

I think it's much better to look forwards than backwards tho.

As for setting a date - I appreciate the mindset....

but like I just asked someone else here - why willingly stay in the madness any longer than you have to?

It's already August 1 where I am.
Prepare yourself and be ready for tomorrow - don't let it whizz by

D
Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum FallAhead!!
Thank you Purpleknight
Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family FA. I know you'll find lots of support here.
Thank you! What kind of dog do you have? I love pups! But right now I'm a cat mom!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello On The Road and SereneEdition,
Thank you for your greetings. I'm honestly overwhelmed at the support flowing through the words on this site. I came into this terrified but I now I'm starting to feel empowered. I told my husband that I came to this site for help and he said that he was happy I did. I told him that I was shocked to see so many people say exactly what I was feeling. Anyway...thank you.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74.

I guess I don't know many other people with the same problem as I have. So I'm curious to see who else drinks like me, or more or less...
What I find interesting is everyone on this forum has the same opportunity as myself.: to get away from substance dependency, no matter how much they drink or use of another substance. It's the dependency we are fighting? Maybe?

I've drank pretty much everyday since I was 19-20 up until now. I've had a week here or there in that time frame where I didn't indulge but that is EXTREMELY rare. Some nights it was 4 beers, other nights a bottle of wine and a pint of vodka. But every night it was something.

I'm ashamed because I would have a few beers with my loved one and then sneak a few shots, if not more, to even everything out. I'm not sneaking anymore.

You are right...why not start tonight. I can't answer that. I feel strange when I get home and don't have a drink. I KNOW a big portion of that is my psyche needing to be satisfied. No...not my psyche but ,my AV.

I'm sorta rambling now.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

Hi Fall,

I personally drank probably 4 nights a week minimum, half to 3/4 of a bottle of hard liquor for 10 years. I've been sober 8 months 18 days.

I'll second what Thomas noticed. Your a planner. That gives you a leg up because my experience in my short term success with my long term fight against alcohol planning has really helped me. I like to plan out what I do as well. I think for sobriety that trait will serve you well. Get in the sobriety fight and start landing punches. I hope today is your day 1.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

hi FallAhead, and welcome

I really related to your first post, about being so scared to come home and not drink. I had gotten so used to that, I just couldn't imagine what it would be like to give it up. The first days and weeks were hard, but not actually as scary as I thought they'd be. My plan specifically included going to AA meetings during the dinner hour, as that was when I always started drinking.

I drank every evening at home, usually a bottle of wine. But I combined it with one or two pain pills, so I was pretty loaded (I had the pills for chronic back pain). I'm 53, and had gradually built up to drinking this much over many years. It was affecting my marriage, and not in a good way.

This week I'll have 11 months sober, no alcohol or pills. It's the best move I ever made -- I feel so much happier. It does take commitment and work, and mainly a plan.

You can do this!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you tursiops...
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well,
I found a resource here. I, of course, betrayed my quit date promise like most of you figured I would. But I quit now. I had my last beer 3 hours Ago. I made a to do list for the week of random things i need to accomplish. it's a good way to keep busy I guess.

I really look forward to the day when I feel relax and calm without alcohol. I felt that way Saturday morning, but I screwed up when a friend came over with vodka. :-( I'm an idiot. Saturday morning was relaxing-my husband and I went to the gym and had a great discussion about Cicero. I told him how truly rested I felt. Calm without envy or strange feelings. It was nice.

Anyway.. Heading to bed. I'll visit tomorrow. Thank you all for writing. Tomorrow is my first true trial. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Fallahead
Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Drank on and off for over 40 years. Thought I was having my cake....

It caught up w me. Check previous posts for my bottom.

I'm serious about not drinking ever again. Serious because it is a fight for my life.

Nothing wishy. Committed to a new lifestlye for the remainder of my life. Period.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
Hi Fall,

I personally drank probably 4 nights a week minimum, half to 3/4 of a bottle of hard liquor for 10 years. I've been sober 8 months 18 days.

I'll second what Thomas noticed. Your a planner. That gives you a leg up because my experience in my short term success with my long term fight against alcohol planning has really helped me. I like to plan out what I do as well. I think for sobriety that trait will serve you well. Get in the sobriety fight and start landing punches. I hope today is your day 1.
Thank you for sharing. Today is the day. Today is day one. I'm excited to feel free again. So tonight - no way. I'm not doing it! *smiles*
Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Drank on and off for over 40 years. Thought I was having my cake....

It caught up w me. Check previous posts for my bottom.

I'm serious about not drinking ever again. Serious because it is a fight for my life.

Nothing wishy. Committed to a new lifestlye for the remainder of my life. Period.
Thanks for sharing. I read through your previous posts. Amazing all the things you accomplished while still drinking. That was definitely a scare you had driving and I'm glad you are sober...

Today is my day 1. I'm going to weight train and then go home to appreciate its comfort SOBER.

Work is calling my name...take care everyone! Until later!