Notices

How do you all "Let go...and let GOD"?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you all "Let go...and let GOD"?

I have been trying to get better at this. I was just looking at it online and I thought "Who better to ask than all my SR friends".

Would love to hear from you all.

So how do you "Let go...and let GOD"?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have wondered if my ability to do this is more a reflection of my age than my sobriety. Some struggles and relationships simply aren't worth the effort and drama after a while. The way I see it, life is short and I don't want to waste mine being angry, resentful, anxious, or whatever. I simply chose to be around people and situations I enjoy, and I avoid those that make me unhappy. It has required some fearlessness on my part. I quit a job a couple of years ago. Risky, but it worked out for me. I have also more or less made myself unavailable to certain family members. I didn't make a big deal out of it. I just don't engage with them on an emotional level and I rarely see them in person.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been asking myself the same question all day! I'm so glad you started this thread and am anxious to hear replies. :-)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You simply realize things have become unmanageable and you can not handle them by yourself.
Then I prayed. It worked. And I work on it. I have to do the leg work because it requires constant vigilance for me to stay sober. That, and a power greater than myself.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more parts of my life I've had to navigate sober, the more sensitive I've become to knowing when the point is for me to break off and leave things to faith.

I do what I can and then it's God's turn.

Often times things don't turn out like I expect but I always find something to take away

D
Old 07-26-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
From the day I asked for help to not drink until today, many years later, I haven’t had a drink. I’m not a religious person but have a Higher Power who I ask for help on a daily basis. I still need to do the leg work and accept the outcome which is sometimes better than I would have liked.

I chuckle when I accept: “I plan, God laughs.”

BE WELL
Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Life becomes more accepting and
manageable when I Let Go and Let
God of my Higher Power take control
of my will and life.

Thru prayer and meditation, quietly saying
those AA prayers anytime during the day
and when I lay my head on my pillow at nite,
prayers I memorized early on in recovery
to use when ever or where ever I am , allows
a calmness to come over me and Serenity to
set inside me.

It takes practice upon practice to get into
a healthy habit of reaching for prayer and
meditation to become an easy recovery
tool to use thru out my life.

I am grateful for my Catholic upbringing,
schooling that I learned to carry with me
thru out my journey in life. I have used those
Catholic teachings as a plateform to build
upon using the steps and principles taught
to me in the AA program of recovery.

So, Letting Go and Letting God of my
own understanding hasn't been to difficult
to accept. However, sometimes my stubbornness
blocks the Sunshine of the Spirit from flowing
freely inside me and have to quickly grab
a hold of those many saying I learned in AA
to reconnect me that Higher Power to strengthen
me, guide me, protect me in all areas of my life.

Let Go and Let God continues to work
for me since 8-11-90. A many one days
time sober to get me where I am today.

Healthy, Happy and Honest.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It's most simplest definition for me is to stop fighting the universe and insisting on having everything go my way and to stop resisting what is. Knowing the difference of what can and can't be changed helps. Often what I thought was the worst thing that could have happened has, looking back on it, turned out to be the best thing.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
By understanding the following:

1. Realizing that I am not the center of the universe and that the world does not revolve around me, regardless of what my ego or self-centeredness tells me.
2. Because I am not the center of the universe, there is very little in life that I actually have control over. I am not as important as I once thought I was.
3. Because I have very little control over the things and people in my life, it's a LOT easier to just sit back and enjoy the ride than to try to will my way through situations that do not warrant it. Trying to control everything is exhausting and futile.
4. No matter what happens, things are going to turn out ok. They may not turn out the way I wanted or expected. There may be setbacks and short-term pain, but I will be ok as long as I don't drink.

The 12 steps of AA helped me come to the above realizations.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Am I allowed to answer this? I am part of 'ALL' here.

I took control of my life and my destiny. No god can do that for me. I empowered myself to make the necessary changes in my life in order to obtain and maintain my sobriety.

I was thinking along the lines, "Let go, let the doorknob?" Assuming of course some people actually choose a doorknob as their higher power.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To keep it simple I believe the best way to "Let go...and let GOD" is to do my part...and leave the outcomes to GOD. What more can I do? I can't control everything. All I can account for is me. Work is required on my part though...GOD wont do everything for me. There are still things that I need to do. Thanks everyone...more answers would be great!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me I keep in my mind, "am I doing everything I can?", and if I'm doing that then I leave the rest to work itself out, whether that's a god, or fate or natural coincidence in this world.

There's soo many things in life that we can concern ourselves with, and in Sobriety I've learnt to focus on the important things and let everything else figure itself out, there's a certain type of surrender that's required I find to make life as straightforward as possible!!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Very good topic and a question I have also asked many times. I'm enjoying the responses here. Being someone who is obsessed with trying to control my environment and tending to base my comfort level on external circumstances being "just so," letting go is a monumental achievement, and one I have yet to master! The more responses (advice) on this, the better.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I was thinking along the lines, "Let go, let the doorknob?" Assuming of course some people actually choose a doorknob as their higher power.

Well in my case and many others a doorknob is getting it out and away from the mush that alcohol made of our thinking process. It’s control and I work to let it go as it’s a lot easier in the end. Control is hard work.

BE WELL
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think it's important to know that we are perfectly free to come up with our own interpretation and what we find "powerful" in our recovery, imo at least. To me, statements like this are related to the importance of cooperation, help and support and not trying solve the entire universe on our own (especially unsuccessfully). What the concept of "interdependence" implies. I think many of us addicts desperately want to be independent and self-sufficient, but that is exactly what gets lost in active addiction, yet we still try to hold onto it.

Now where that external help is coming from and how we use it can be a million things and is usually an individual process depending on what works for us, our personal beliefs etc. What's important though is that we do need to play our part -- again, in an interdependent way.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Let go and let dog? Am I dyxlesic?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

These things exactly! Well said digdug!

It is amazingly freeing when you truly grasp these 4 things.

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
By understanding the following:

1. Realizing that I am not the center of the universe and that the world does not revolve around me, regardless of what my ego or self-centeredness tells me.
2. Because I am not the center of the universe, there is very little in life that I actually have control over. I am not as important as I once thought I was.
3. Because I have very little control over the things and people in my life, it's a LOT easier to just sit back and enjoy the ride than to try to will my way through situations that do not warrant it. Trying to control everything is exhausting and futile.
4. No matter what happens, things are going to turn out ok. They may not turn out the way I wanted or expected. There may be setbacks and short-term pain, but I will be ok as long as I don't drink.

The 12 steps of AA helped me come to the above realizations.