Notices

Hey everyone!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hey everyone!

Hey! (sorry this is a little bit of a spill my guts post)

I've finally worked up the courage to join this forum. I'm new to forums generally so was worried about how this works!

I haven't been able to find people to talk to about my problems as I'm quite young so I'm really hoping to find some lovely people to talk to. I'm very lucky that I haven't drank long, I just need to do everything I can to set this straight.

As a kid I was terrified of alcohol and hated it, seeing the negative effects it had on my family. Unfortunately after a beloved family member of mine passed away after a long drawn out illness I turned to alcohol for the first time in my life. Quite ironically the family member was an alcoholic.

I've now been sober 17 days and this is the lifestyle I would like to stick to. I've already been so much happier than I have been in the past year and my productivity/work levels are through the roof!

What do you guys get up to while filling the time you used to lose drinking?

Also do you outright say you don't drink when offered one or do you make a quick excuse?

Thanks for reading x
Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

First and foremost, welcome! I've been here since Tuesday so im an expert - feel free to ask me anything (ha!)

Regarding what I plan on telling people, it's either simply "I don't drink," which plays quite fine here in the U.S. South, or I plan on saying that I'm allergic to alcohol (true in my case apparently...destroys my digestive system). I'm not really worried, though. It's better than explaining why I had 5 beers
Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Hey Nuttie Congrats on 17 days Great to hear you want to get a handle on alcohol while your young & still can improve on your life goals . You will find a lot of support here
As for me I waited too long & drank too much - messed up my health , but working every day to improve it as much as possible .
Not to scare you , but I flat out tell people now . If they ask me if I want a drink - I say No thanks It will kill me !! That pretty much ends the conversation , no questions asked .
For you being young , You should be able to think up something ? I don't know maybe No thanks I don't want to ruin my life - it's great right now . Or No that's Ok - I can have Fun with out it Thanks . Stay strong gets better day by day .
Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You are among friends, Nuttie - never fear

We all understand what you're going through - the adjustment period is a challenge. It's great that you are so optimistic about sobriety, rather than feeling resentful. That was my biggest challenge - convincing myself I wasn't missing out on anything. Being sober and clear headed to take on life is a wonderful thing. You've realized this at a young age - you won't suffer the misery many of us have.

Everyone knew I was a heavy drinker, so when I got sober I was happy to announce that I don't drink anymore. I'm sure I heard a sigh of relief from many. I think we're all different in this regard - it depends on what you're comfortable with sharing. Glad to have you with us!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Nuttie, good on you for dealing with it early bc if you continue it never improves. You have made an important decision that will be a lifelong benefit. Congrats!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nuttie !!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm newly sober too. I plan on just telling new people "I don't drink", the friends I really care about exactly WHY I don't drink (so they don't try to tempt me), and any old thing from "I'm on antibiotics" or "Its been making me too ill" to old bad influence drinking friends I don't need to see anymore.. Keep strong!
Old 07-24-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR congrats on 17 days NuttieUK
Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone!! All your responses mean the world to me x
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on 17 days sober! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi nice to meet you nuttie!! I am new as well welcome aboard!!