Notices

Further down the sobriety rabbit hole.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Saskia is spot on here--many of us have had "unfair" beginnings or more trauma / pain to process than, perhaps, some other "lucky" people, but it ours to process and grow from, if we so choose.

Otherwise, we get stuck in the past and don't enjoy the time we have right now at this moment.

The work to accept and release some of the history can be very difficult, but also worth it. I have found that I am not my past but am creating the future with every moment.

Sobriety has been the key to this for me.
I have had to look at things I've pushed down and away my whole life with drinking, and hard as it was, that has made all the difference.

Sounds like you are really headed to recovery now and not just "not drinking" Jeff. . .
Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jeff, sounds like you are right where you need to be. And it's a good place

Gratitude is essential to living soberly. Just Google what happens to people when they write down what they're grateful for daily.

I struggle in this area myself. I want to "fix" things now. I have high expectations that I carried over from my early twenties, and it's tough to hit a wall in sobriety where you come to these heavy realizations about meaning, motivation, expectation, desire, and authenticity.

Am I the same person I was fifteen years ago? Do I have those same goals, motivations, and desires? Some of those goals haven't materialized and some have, yet in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Family squabbles, enmeshment, and dysfunction can be quite the wrench thrown in that complicates and challenges the path to contentment and peace.

Maybe you are evaluating things and seeing the need to disengage from some of the family drama?

At any rate, sounds like you are on the right path!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Any input on the benefits of gratitude are appreciated.
7 Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Gratitude That Will Motivate You To Give Thanks Year-Round - Forbes