Notices

anxiety

Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxiety

So I'm on day 9 an noticing every now an then I get these panic attacks that come from know where. How long does this llastaan is it a part of withdrawals? But I'm on day 9 shouldn'tthis be gone by now?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's normal, they'll go away. Depends on the person how long it takes. Your brain is resetting to normal functioning and that isn't a smooth process. It's a bit of a roller coaster ride. At day 9, it's perfectly normal.

Give it time and you'll feel better.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Toni, took some time for things to adjust for me both physically, but even more so emotionally/mentally!!

It took years of drinking to get me to the point of quitting, so understandably it was going to take more than a few weeks for the body to adjust and repair itself, but it will happen in time.

Hang in there!!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got panic attacks in early sobriety too. They came out of nowhere and for no particular reason. I was never sure what I was panicking about. A general sense a dread I would say.

I found that getting out of the house for a brisk walk helped pass the moment. It may take a month or two for the anxiety to gradually subside but it is normal.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety is normal in early recovery. Give your body and brain more time to adjust to normal functioning. It will get better but it will take some time.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It took about 12 weeks for my alcohol-induced anxiety to be completely gone.

Well done on 9 days! Don't look back!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too have been suffering from anxiety for 2 days. It feels like a tightening in my throat/chest area and though mild is quite hard to deal with right now. I am also extremely fatigued and exhausted. When does this go away. I can't even muster the energy to get up off the couch today.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I had them as well and 9 days your barely out of withdrawl. I would give it a rest if you feel a panic attack. Dee also told me about belly breathing which really helps.

Every month that has gone by since i got sober my anxiety calms more.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Toni, one thing that helped me when I had panic attacks is that I knew they were not real and told myself that out loud. It was purely the body adjusting to having no alcohol. They were irrational, as I had no real reason to be panicking.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 9 Toni

I spoke with my Dr about my anxiety in my 1st week sober to get help with it while i was getting through the early stages of sobriety it made all the diffrence doing that
Old 07-19-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mine was bad. I didn't realize it had anything to do with alcohol withdrawal until I got on here. I read a book on anxiety and started doing yoga and it's gotten a little better--I'm about 21/2 months.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had horrible anxiety and panic both in the last days of my drinking and into the early part of my initial sobriety. The worst of it lastsed a month or so and started improving. Having said that I still had some anxiety at times even at multiple years into it, and I finally decided to see a therapist about it. Most likely I have had it all my life, my drinking was probably self medication ( unsuccessful by the way )

Therapy has helped tremendously....if yours doesn't let up eventually, don't rule out that as an option.