Notices

Help Help Help!!!

Old 08-29-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help Help Help!!!

I'm a 36 year old, married father of 2 wonderful daughters and I've been quite a heavy drinker now for over 10 years. I had my last drink (actually about 20th drink), about 14 hours ago and find myself craving another one RIGHT NOW! Drinking has been ruining my health, made me go from 175 pounds to 270, and is making me worry to death about having a heart attack or some other form of life shortening illness. I am a professional person and am in the public eye and can't risk going to a meeting. Is there anyone out there that is will to give me some advice to get past the cravings??? Is anyone out there that is in the same shoes as me and is willing to start a day to day e-mail form of help? I have no idea of what life is like without a daily dose of alcohol, but I do know that it is ruining my life. It's the weirdest thing, because I can look at someone addicted to drugs and say, "why don't you just stop", however, I am not knowing how to stop myself from taking another drink. It seems that everything that I view as "fun", in my life involes drinking. Most of my friends drink (just not with problems), and I want to drink. I just know that I have to quit before it kills me. Is this a day to day thing? An hour to hour thing? Where do I start?????
Old 08-29-2004, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FMario,

Yes, Mario, it is a day to day thing. I'm Anna, recovering alcoholic and I know how hard it is to stop and how strong the cravings can be. I would say don't think long-term right now, it's too overwhelming. Just think about getting through each hour today and that's all you need to focus on. To get past the cravings, what worked for me was doing something totally different from my normal routine. I had to change routines and patterns in my life a lot. It really helped me get past the rough times.

As far as nothing being fun anymore, I also felt lile there would be nothing left in my life if I stopped drinking. My world had become so small that I didn't think there was nothing else. But, that is so not true. Your whole life opens up and you'll be amazed at how many things there are to do.

You can do this and you'll feel so much better if you do. There's lots of support and inspiration here at SR.

Feel free to PM me anytime - I'm usually on and off the computer throughout the day.

Love, Anna
Old 08-29-2004, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello, Mario and welcome to SR. Congratulations on deciding you want something better for yourself and your family. You CAN do it, but you probably need some help.

I am a professional person and am in the public eye and can't risk going to a meeting.
What is the risk? I am a teacher and I go to meetings. I finally decided that there is no shame in getting help. What is shameful is refusing to admit that I needed help and not doing anything about my problems. Besides, there is a reason they call it Alcoholics ANONYMOUS and you would be surprised how many people there are in the program who you would not expect to be. No one is immune to this disease....as you will see if you stick around these boards.

For now, keep posting. Take it one minute at a time if you have to. Others will be along soon to help you. One thing that really helped me with the early cravings was getting some exercise. Even just going for a little walk can help relieve stress and tension and help you relax.

We are all pulling for you....Keep hangin' on!!!!!

Hugs--
Old 08-29-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Fmario,
I think you just took your first step in the right direction by posting here at this site.
It sounds to me like you could use a detox and maybe a rehab for a few weeks.
I know what it is like to be in the public eye on a high level position. Trust me when I tell you that there are a lot of well known people in AA.
I go to meetings in NYC where I see famous people in the rooms all of the time.
The important thing is that you get the help that you need. There is plenty of help in AA as well as here on this site.
Welcome!
Old 08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Fmario,

It feels like hell, and it is. But you know getting through it is the only option.

You cant see it from where you are, but in time you'll stop thinking about drink 24/7 and life will be so much better. It will.

You can email me at mark.scardino at globalnetresults.net

I did it alone, and you can too if that's best for you. AA wasn't an option for me either.

Keep busy, eat well and drink loads of water and fruit juice.

Good luck bro. and shout if you need annyone to rant at!

Deg.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI Fmario,

CONGRATULATIONS on wanting help!!! I'm SO happy that you are taking this step now!! I'm only a week sober and very familiar with the cravings you're having. I definitely agree with everyone, get out and do something different. In my case, I came to these boards and just read the he** out of all the forums.

Another really helpful thing for some is getting into those AA rooms. Its amazing what you'll get out of it. As far as anonymity, I live in the Beverly Hills area of town and have seen countless celebrities in various rooms getting help!!

Whatever you do, don't give up. I've read so many posts on here and am amazed at the similarities in all of our lives....

I'll be thinking about you!!! you CAN do it!

-bea
Old 08-29-2004, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

HI FMario -

Carie here - alcoholic.

I'm a lawyer and I go to meetings. In the meetings, everyone is just there, trying to sort this disease thing out. No person is there to rat anyone out, or "nark" on a professional person. In AA, they all got their own problems to share and their own solutions to this disease - - if you'll listen.

The first thing you need to realize is that alcoholism has very little to do with will power after that first sip. So the real objective is to find coping skills to avoid that first drink. AA provides 12 tasks as a sort of "program" and it is a system that works. Because WANTING to stop probably isn't enough right now for most people. You need to know HOW to stop...and how to STAY STOPPED.

Going to AA meetings is part of the steps to keep sober. Sharing the message is another part of the program. Try it.

Some people who are heavy drinkers should try to see a doctor who can help with the symptoms of withdrawl. Like cravings, shakes, etc. I of course, couldn't begin to diagnose you...but you need to decide for yourself. A doctor's reporting is always confidential and so is a detox program. The only time you hear of a person going to detox is when they are a celebrity....and the only time you hear of a celebrity going to detox is when their publicist calls the media. I don't know how popular you are, but if you are high up on the totem pole, just instruct your publicist not to tell the media anything.

I think you realize the problem, you owe it to yourself to find a solution. You would go get treatment for cancer if you had it...right? You'd go to a dentist for a toothache, right? So go get the best help available for alcoholism. It is a disease and is nothing to be ashamed of. It is the same thing as having an alergy. You didn't ask for it, you don't want it...but it has you in its clutches...

I wish you the best on your road to recovery. It took a lot to write somethign down here...so I hope you can use some of this advice.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just woken up on this side of the pond - How's things Fmario? Let us know you're ok.

Deg.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

FMario-
Here's to hoping for you - 1 more day of sobriety. Make a vow to yourself not to drink for 24 hours.
I hope loggin on and reading e-mails keeps you occupied and able to resist cravings.

We all care, really.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fmario
Hi and welcome
Glad you found this site and are trying to do something about your drinking.
This is a good place to come and share with people, to read and find others who have walked in your shoes.
We have meetings here as well, you can find the times listed under Misc. in the forums. You will need to register to get into chat.
You can come here everyday for hope and inspiration to conquer your dependance on alcohol.
It is not an easy road to take, it takes effort on your part and commitment.
I have found repeatedly that I cannot quit and stay sober on my own, I need the fellowship of others in the same boat.
if you are not willing to go to f2f meetings then make this place your place to come and get well.
Best of everything to you in getting and staying sober, hope you decide to stick around.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Keep on fighting Fmario. We're all living proof you can stop drinking. We did it, so can you. One minute at a time. I never thought I could do it, but found the strength through support of others who cared and understood. Keep coming back and good luck.

Talia
Old 08-30-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi FMario and welcome!

Yup, take it slow, one day at a time, remain strong, determined and it will get easier. Additionally, try to find a means of support so you don't feel as if your all alone in doing this.