Notices

Recovering physically completely: how long does it take

Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering physically completely: how long does it take

I was wondering how long it generally takes for the body to fully recover after alcohol abuse. That is, assuming you haven't gotten to the point of doing permanent damage yet.

There is the detox period, but that is just the start as I understand it. After that the body and brain (as though they're separate things, lol) need to recover and reset to the normal state.

I've read all sorts of time-spans on the internet, but nothing definite and reliable. And I'd imagine it's more like a "between x duration - y duration" things, since there are so many factors involved. Health, age, gender, how long you were drinking and how much.

But given all that, what is generally considered the full physical recovery duration?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are all different as far as how our bodies respond. Without getting all scientific about it...

Around 90 days there is a change notice, around 6 months another step change takes place.
And at nine months something miraculous occurs. That's how it happened for me.
Mental adjustment and training also is a huge factor in it as well.

A positive attitude goes a long way for healing our bodies.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

It really depends on the person
Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to it! It's day 5 and my body is detoxing still and I already feel lighter. Less like a slug trying to crawl through the day. I walk a lot. Eat well. Drink enough water. Stay mentally active, I've picked up studying stuff I'm interested in again.

In fact, I'm going for a walk before the thunderstorm hits. I'll be back later with an update on today.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, in the very early days, patience is really important. We are all different and you will likely feel better as days go by.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

There are slight and subtle changes that you might not even realize are occurring until you reflect back and where you were when you first quit. For example, I used to clear my throat CONSTANTLY from reflux. I realized yesterday, I no longer do that.

I encourage you to keep a journal.

I'm 6 months and now after hearing a miracle happens at 9 months, well that just solidified my resolve !!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

I think it has to do with how much effort you put in. Diet, exercise, vitamins and supplements. Check with a doc first, but I think the physical health of being sober helps a great deal with the mental health of being sober. Looking in the mirror and feeling good about your accomplishment, can uplift your spirit and mental state.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me the purely physical recovery took several weeks before I started "feeling" better - AKA my GI issues and other symptoms started improving. From a medical standpoint my liver enzymes, BP and other issues that were out of whack took at least a couple of months to start coming back to normal...but they all did. Eating right/drinking water, light exercise and adequate sleep are helpful, and your doctor might suggest other things too, always good to keep them in the loop.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I read the stomach lining will thicken in alcoholics. I tried drinking at 3 months and I couldn't handle it. Some people can get a relapse going again even after years of not drinking. I also read heavy drinking will enlarge your red blood cells and that goes away after 4 months.
The biggest changes were to my brain. I progressively got better but it took a good year for most of the damage to repair. The healing continued throughout the second year but it wasn't as dramatic.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Every person is different. I noticed positive changes at regular intervals (90 days, 6 months, one year). After 6 years sober, I know that my doctor is amazed at how healthy I am, despite my best efforts to kill myself with alcohol.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Give the body what it needs and it'll do the rest, no alcohol, fluids, nutrition, sleep!!

Everything else will take care of itself!!