Notices

100 Days

Old 06-28-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

100 Days

I started the year with 100 days without a drink. No that a boy in order. I thought I had this thing beat and moderation would be a good alternative. Enjoy a few with friends from time to time, what could go wrong. . Not that you need to know, but this is not the answerer. Fast forward 3 month and it was all for not. Right back to the same daily drink until drunk and do it all over tomorrow. How do you prepare for a life long journey knowing you can never have another drink.?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah for me there was no "good alternative", there was either drink myself to death or be Sober, black and white, no shades of grey!!

I guess there was no preparation needed, I went one day at a time, the same plan every 24hrs and it just happens day by day, week by week, month by month!!

Don't overthink things, keep it simple, stick to the principle alcohol isn't working anymore in your life and go at it a day at a time!!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

How do you prepare for a life long journey knowing you can never have another drink.?
We do it the same way we live the rest of our life - one day at a time.

You won't always feel the tug of a drink either - I have a great life now, I love it - and drinking is not involved

D
Old 06-29-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Stinman - Dee and Purple Knight have laid it out for us. For me what finally worked was simply not over thinking things.

If we look at anything as for the rest of our lives - taking showers, tying our shoes, going to the grocery store, taking the garbage out etc - If we truly looked at these actions and thought man, I have to do that for the rest of my life it would seem foreboding.

I look at not drinking that way - just for today I will not drink. Those days do indeed stack up. Some here will disagree the daily mentality -I say whatever works. But that's how I do it along with others.

Yesterday is a wisp in the wind - a memory only. Tomorrow is not assured so why would I worry about it???? Only today can I take real action.

Thanks for the post!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Others have put it better than I could, my only contribution is this: For me any day I don't drink is a good day even if I didn't exercise, eat right or contribute in other ways. When it gets tough, that is my baseline, just don't drink.

It is about keeping it simple and I've always tried to over-complicate things in the past but not this time.

I am exercising, eating better and contributing but when the excrement hits the fan I allow myself to fail at everything else except drinking, that I won't do again.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

100 days is fantastic congrats
Old 06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The desire to drink will go away with more sober time. I'm sober over five years and rarely think about drinking. And the rare times I do, those thoughts are easily dismissed.

It gets better.

Congrats on 100 days sober!