Notices

Rage

Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

Rage

I'm almost 3 months sober and have been feeling bits of rage over the past while. I guess it's time to get a sponsor and start working a program. I find that not having my usual outlet to "blow off steam" is proving to be really frustrating and I've no idea how to handle these feelings. I'm also feeling very alone and frustrated. This forum helps, thank you, but I think I need more. Can anyone relate and how did you deal with your rage....?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NAP

I had a little rage but it worked itself out eventually - exercise was particularly helpful.

I found the more I had a life I loved, the less rage I had?

D
Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, NAP! I think we go through all kinds of emotions in early sobriety. If they become difficult to manage, some see a counselor. AA can also be helpful as can keeping a journal. Personally I find it important to avoid isolating too much.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A former rage aholic, the program of AA helped me find the causes and conditions of it and how to not let it happen.
I still get frustrated, which I can let go to anger occasionally. Rage? Hasn't happened in quite some time.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi NAP.

When I finally plugged the jug I needed something to fill the void within to replace the alcohol and all the raw feelings. I/we have a tendency to isolate, here for example, and that’s probably an alcoholics #1 downfall. Fortunately it was pointed out that becoming involved in the program and meetings help one a lot and help avoid isolation. It begins by setting up the hall, getting the supplies out, making coffee, being a greeter, cleaning up the hall after the meeting and, hide now, speaking/sharing at meetingS.
This plus getting to a lot of meetings to make sobriety top priority all helps on the path of recovery.

BE WELL
Old 06-30-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sometimes by tackling the physical it helped me back down from my own "head of steam " .
When you have rage , you lean forwards , you clench your fists tight , you set your jaw , you hunch your shoulders ..

When i became aware of the anger / rage i deliberately went through this check list and did the opposite ..

I leaned back , i loosened my grip , i took measured slow breaths , i relaxed my shoulders , i slackened and rolled my jaw and tongue round a bit . If i was hot i tried to cool off , turn on the air-con , mist myself with a sprayer , sit in a breeze ..
Tune out from the heavy metal and onto a classical station ..

All of these things gave me an edge to work from , from which to back off and back down . Take the bigger view than someone cutting me up in traffic .. yer my journey home might take 10 seconds longer at least i'd get there in one piece .

There will always be selfish and ignorant people out there , it's more how i respond to them , just because they are having a bad day and acting rashly there is no need for them to upset my serenity , i do not give them that power .

Take care , m
Old 06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

3-5 months were when the most anger came up for me too. It would even pop up when I had sleepless nights- such old anger from middle school and high school keeping me awake at 3 a.m.!
In Chinese medicine they attribute poor liver health to chronic anger so it always made sense to me that detoxing meant having unwanted anger from my past show up.
Good for you for taking action and getting a sponsor! Hopefully you'll find some anger lifts
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

* oops- I'm on a tablet and its confusing on thus forum sometime - maybe it was on another thread that they said they were getting a sponsor- sorry for the confusion in my post
Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

3 Months is fantastic NAP!!

For me time was a great healer, I learned when I stopped drinking to appreciate things about myself that I hated, not be as angry at the world as I used to be, my anxiety decreased and I started to build I life I could be proud of compared to one that I was ashamed of!!

All these things dealt with my anger over time!!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 months!

I had a lot of anger and even rage at times. I really struggled to get to a peaceful place. Someone here suggested journaling which was not something I had wanted to do, to see my angry thoughts written on paper. But, it helped a lot. Each time I wrote about something, it seemed to soothe my feelings.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 3 months i think Anna's above post is exellent & D is spot on bud
Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to be "rageful".......exercise and journaling are great outlets.......but for me I got rid of the sources of my rage......a lot of them were people.....always imposing on me, asking me to do stuff for them......I said no.....then they got mad but I didn't care and still don't. I'm not very cooperative? Am I lol