Notices

Concerned

Old 06-21-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned

Hi all,

I watched a movie called Flight last night with Denzil Washington in and it really was close to home in terms of his addiction. I ended up crying!

Anyway, as it was Summer Solstice, it got me really thinking. So much so, I have only had 4 hours sleep and I have just got up for work looking completely drained! I was questioning how far I had come and what an achievement I have made, but also, can I sustain this. Is it too easy at the moment or have I genuinely got through the worst? If I make it to retirement, will I suddenly be like the man in chapter 3 of the big AA book?

I guess I will not know until I get there! I just have to take one day at a time.........
Do we analyse too much about what might be and actually live too much in the past? I don't know, but all this has made me nervous. So much so, I will be going to my AA meeting for the first time in moths on Thursday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we can over think things - especially in the wee hours with little sleep

ODAAT works for a lot of things in life

D
Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Flight is a great film i agree with D

Good luck for Thursday
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suffer from insomnia. I am often kept up with ruminations about the past and fears about the future. I have lost everything to alcoholism and get caught up in endless overthinking. it's not healthy. suicidal thoughts sometimes pop up at which point I snap out of it. But overthinking while wide awake at 2am can lead me to dark places.

I haven't mastered mindfulness yet but even my 'present' is a bad place. Alcohol always brought peace of mind during these times. I just need to man up and move on with life.

Keep on keeping on!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I haven't mastered mindfulness yet but even my 'present' is a bad place. Alcohol always brought peace of mind during these times. I just need to man up and move on with life.
For me, alcohol was a very poor way to try to forget. The worst part was that when I came up for air, all of my problems came rushing back and I'd feel awful about drinking, too. Being sober is the only good way for me to deal with my past.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I sometimes find myself wondering how I can stay sober for an entire lifetime ahead...

Then I often find myself wondering how I wasted so much of a lifetime drunk.

If I can do that, surely I can make the most of life by living what's rest fully, completely, sober.

I think it's very natural to feel concerned sometimes, but if we bring it back to right now, Today, it becomes quite simple.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
Hi all,

I watched a movie called Flight last night with Denzil Washington in and it really was close to home in terms of his addiction. I ended up crying!

Anyway, as it was Summer Solstice, it got me really thinking. So much so, I have only had 4 hours sleep and I have just got up for work looking completely drained! I was questioning how far I had come and what an achievement I have made, but also, can I sustain this. Is it too easy at the moment or have I genuinely got through the worst? If I make it to retirement, will I suddenly be like the man in chapter 3 of the big AA book?

I guess I will not know until I get there! I just have to take one day at a time.........
Do we analyse too much about what might be and actually live too much in the past? I don't know, but all this has made me nervous. So much so, I will be going to my AA meeting for the first time in moths on Thursday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening.

Paralysis by analysis... Yup,it happens.
Great news, though. Everything ya mention is beyond today. I plan on staying sober the rest of my life, but I can only do that ODAAT.
Suggestion- turn to page 84 in the big book a d read the last paragraph. Promises associated with step 10.
Go onto page 85. Tells me the conditions of how I will stay sober.

I no longer live in my past, which was somewhere I lived quite often. I no longer regret it or want to shut the door on it a d try to pretend it didn't happen. My past is a very valuable possession of mine today. Lots of lessons on what does t work and since getting sober a d working the program, lots of lesson on what does( and still lessons there of What doesnt work but not as many as when I was drinking).
Old 06-22-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think sometimes our minds can be the enemy, over complicating things when not drinking here in the present is all that is required, there is a lot of merit in doing this one day at a time!!

Hang in there!!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks folks! Really appreciate it.