Notices

Why is it so hard to stop?

Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is it so hard to stop?

Hey there! I'm new to all of this, but I've been needing someone or some people to talk to.

I stopped drinking for 6 months in the past, however I started again several months ago and I've started doing stupid drunk things again and I feel ashamed. Life without drinking is so nice but for some reason I always still want to drink even with all the negative effects it causes. When I start drinking I just can stop and I drink a lot, like 30 beers and shots in one night is no problem, I need some kind of support, I need to stop again and I'm thinking of doing it starting tomorrow.

Thanks for listening
Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Anthem the best way to stop is realising you need to & accepting that no one does it overnight in the beginning but it made easier with great advice & a solid sobriety plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-21-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Anthem, and welcome to a really great community of kind and supporting folk!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Do you have a plan as to how you are going to stop drinking?

For me, it wasn't enough for me to have the WILL, I had to develop the SKILL.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi anthem...the key word to quitting successfully is..."Perserverence"...Never giving up ...and never EVER stop trying !

No. It's not easy...but it is very simple. Just never touch (pick up) another alcoholic drink !

hope this helps. Stick around...read, post. You're welcome here !

DD
Old 06-21-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I got sober over five years ago and don't regret a minute of it. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My plan involves being an active member of A.A. I got a Sponsor, have Committments , work the steps , etc. Everything in my life has changed...I look at my life differently today. I did feel immediate relief and the desire to drink was gone. I can only be grateful & thankful to my HP, on my own...playing games, excuses, just didn't work for me. In a nutshell, that's how I continue on with my recovery...doing it ODAAT. Bobbi
Old 06-21-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wanted to add, that I am an alcoholic, I totally accept this...I CANNOT have even one glass of Cabernet . I didn't drink for anything except to get a buzz and then to pass out each and every night. In the end I isolated in my kitchen...I was not interested in 'socializing'. Just me & my Cab. Period.
Bobbi
Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Anthem, sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you have a pretty strong desire to quit. But you mentioned you are "thinking" about stopping tomorrow. I've been there, and I kept thinking about it for a long time until I actually did it. Didn't happen overnight, and until recently I still had some issues, but it is when I took action that I changed my habits. Stay strong.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Anthem!!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't stay quit the first time I tried. It takes most of us several tries - not sure why. No advice or suggestions, sorry - just wanted to tell you you're not alone.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Anthem! For us alcoholics, a single drink can lead to a "bender". From what I was told in an outpatient treatment program, I understand that for us, alcohol affects a specific part of the brain which then causes us to crave alcohol.

One good source of info they gave us in the program is a video called "Pleasure Unwoven". I got a copy from a well-known Internet business. In it, a doctor who is also an alcoholic explains what they currently understand about addiction. I found it very helpful. The shame many of us feel just makes it harder to get help and I believe that in this case as in many others, knowledge is truly power.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anthem...I think another setback or "Obstacle" if you will, is "Pride". Until we can lay that aside and become honest with ourselves...it will remain very difficult to come to acceptance of our condition and acceptance is the first "Corner Stone" that must be layed as our sobriety and recovery is built upon it.

Saskia...is this the film you are refering to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiK...F89537FD4C3FD1

It is quite interesting.

DD