Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Should Govt mandate interlock devices on all new vehicles sold?

Notices
View Poll Results: Should Governments Mandate Interlock devices on all new vehicles sold?
Yes
22.45%
No
77.55%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Should Govt mandate interlock devices on all new vehicles sold?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My understanding of this is that the car will simply sense alcohol in the drivers system, nothing to blow into or extra things that need to be done. To all the people saying no, how could or would this possibly effect you in a negative way?
Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alphaomega, that's how my ex husband got his DUI. He left a bar and a police officer was waiting for him. Pulled him over as soon as he drove off. He ended up getting a plea bargain which was a wet reckless conviction.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I voted no, but only because the current technology is limited and too expensive. New, better and much less cumbersome technology will be coming online soon, and all vehicles may eventually come stock with this technology (without a government mandate).

See the original thread regarding the new technology: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ver-proof.html
Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I would be in favor of a system that prevented a vehicle from being operated by an impaired driver. I don't see it as any more intrusive then seat belt laws.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have known someone who had an interlock device installed on their car. Out of curiosity over what it involved, I watched one of the training videos. Not only do you blow into the device to start the car, but the driver is required to blow into it during any given trip at random intervals programmed into the device. So, if it asks you to blow, you must pull over or wait until you hit a light, and blow into the mouthpiece again. If the driver does not respond within a certain amount of time, a notice is sent to the company who installed the device, and that information is fed to the probation officer.

Why should anyone who has never driven drunk, myself included, have to put up with that just to drive their car? My answer is no.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

At some point, our society deemed driving a right, rather than a privilege. And most drivers operate their vehicles safely on the road so there's some sense to that.

But there are few rights so nearly universally shared that, when abused, can bring about such heartbreak. It wasn't until the early '80s that DWI charges were anything more than a glorified parking ticket.

The penalties have grown stiffer, but at some point we as a society also had to decide whether we want investments (e.g., government funding of services that cost money, which comes from taxes) in things like what AO mentioned -- checkpoints outside bars -- or keeping the cost of governing us lower. At some point, society chose the latter. We don't have lots of checkpoints on any given night and most cops will tell you they know most drunken drivers aren't apprehended.

For purposes of disclosure, I have to say I drove under the influence ... not apprehended. Only a few times, but I am ashamed of it, that's for sure.

I don't know if installing interlock on all devices is the answer.

Making them mandatory for any first-time offender? Absolutely. And no one who is mandated to use a device should ever be able to drive if they blow bad. It's not just about being to stupid and getting busted. It's about the peril everyone else on the road faces.

I'd be in favor of much tougher laws for any repeat offender. My state just did that, incidentally, but I don't think they go far enough.

Mid-level DWI change in state could put many in handcuffs - StarTribune.com

And don't get me started on those who text or talk on the phone while driving. A whole new layer of those who fail to understand that their right ends where the rights of others -- the right to use the roads safely -- begin.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nope.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Absolutely not. I will never support any gov mandate like this. It would begin with the car and continue from there. The Government needs far less power over personal lives vs more as it is.

The post about the cops hanging at a bar reminded me of a joke:

Small town cop made it a practice to stake out the local watering hole at closing time. One Friday night he spots a guy stumbling through the lot. Guy can hardly get the keys in the door. After he gets the car started he proceeds to drive right over the curb and zig zag down the road.

Cop thinks he has a live one and pulls the car over. Asks the driver if they can just save time and skip sobriety test and blow. Driver says sure and he does. Zero point zero?! Cop says "my equipment must be malfunctioning. Can you blow again?". Driver says "Nah, not necessary. I'm designated decoy tonight!"
Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I feel like there must be better technology then what they have available now.
Something that could tell the blood alcohol level of the driver in a different way .
I could see That being a good thing.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Repeated offenders - yes.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

If it was completely unnoticeable and posed no inconvenience to people who don't drink and drive I would consider voting yes. Untill the tech is that good I vote no.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
In a similar vein, I have always wondered why cops dont just hang out at bars at closing time ?

It would be revenue central. And would save a lot of lives
Come to Australia AO - the Random Breath Test thing is so ubiquitous here it even has its own reality TV show.

D
Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yes, and while they're at it maybe pass a bill requiring all alcoholic beverages to be fortified with B1. And all polititians to be drug tested. And all child care facilities and nursing homes to have cameras covering every square inch. And mandatory 2 hrs every day that everyone must put away their devices and look folks in the eye when speaking.....geesh,I could go on and on........
Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I personally have never even seen one of these devices or know anyone who has had one fitted to their car.

Where I live it seems we're way behind in using this technology, so moving forward the first stage of those loosing their licence and after regaining it having a device fitted would be a good mandatory step as the amount of repeat offenders I know of seems to be high.

As for every car having it? the logistics currently involved would be tough, I'd like to see a start being made on existing offenders, get that right as a first step!!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I am undecided if I'd be a proponent for mandatory BAC devices or not. I am of the limited government intervention in all things camp, but I ponder this, recognizing my own hypocrisy over the years I drank. What if a party goer leaves a bar one night, gets in there car and is slightly over the limit.

They don't think there really impaired and the affect of the alcohol provides false bravado - I am fine,they believe.

The person ends up killing not only them self but a family of 4 headed on the interstate looking forward to arriving at their vacation destination in few hours.

5 lives lost, countless other live forever painfully altered - Maybe a BAC device could have prevented this? And yea, maybe the intoxicated person should self check with a BAC test kit. But they won't..........

I consider this scenario as I read what is being considered. I don't have the answer by any means. As EndGame posted - just more questions.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently unveiled new advanced alcohol detection technology that could prevent drunk drivers from operating a vehicle.

At a press conference in Washington this past week, NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind presented two prototypes of the Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety (aka DADSS), which has been in the works under a partnership with automakers since 2008. One model detects alcohol particles in the driver's breath. It is similar to ignition interlock devices currently used by 25 states for drunk driving offenders, but instead of requiring the driver to blow into a breathalyzer, DADSS takes noninvasive air samples.

The other DADSS model determines blood alcohol content by touch: it shines a light on the driver's finger and uses near-infrared tissue spectroscopy to ascertain how much the person has had to drink. If the driver's blood alcohol content is above 0.08, the car's engine won't start.

https://www.*****.com/tech/s/could-t...133139130.html
Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Smile

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Yes, and while they're at it maybe pass a bill requiring all alcoholic beverages to be fortified with B1. And all polititians to be drug tested. And all child care facilities and nursing homes to have cameras covering every square inch. And mandatory 2 hrs every day that everyone must put away their devices and look folks in the eye when speaking.....geesh,I could go on and on........
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

just messing with you Anattaboy.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Cool

Just what we need; more government intervention. Some folks have drive under the influence; they've committed a crime; they're criminals; by law, they must have this device installed in their cars. Soooo, now we should all be treated like criminals................? I think NOT....................NONONONO

(o:
NoelleR
Old 06-15-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I have to take my shoes off, my freaking SHOES, at the airport because of one guy with a shoe bomb. Today they took away my Bengay because it was more than 3 ounces.

And don't even THINK of getting through airport security with a water bottle.

The U.S. Government has admitted to basically listening to all our telecons for the better part of a decade.

There are cameras on almost every street corner that send us automatic speeding tickets.

I feel like we are constantly inconvenienced in the name of "safety" per our big brother who is watching.

I sincerely believe something like this could truly save some serious lives. Perhaps not as it stands, but something to that end.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

In a decade or so all the cars will be self-driving and DWI will be a thing of the past.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
In a decade or so all the cars will be self-driving and DWI will be a thing of the past.
I'm still waiting for the flying cars ... lol.