SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Should Govt mandate interlock devices on all new vehicles sold? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369574-should-govt-mandate-interlock-devices-all-new-vehicles-sold.html)

Fly N Buy 06-14-2015 04:29 PM

Should Govt mandate interlock devices on all new vehicles sold?

Would you support legislation that mandates all motor vehicles must be equipped with a device that would measure the drivers blood alcohol level and would not start if over the limit.

I realize limits vary globally but think of this in the broadest terms. Should governments mandate lock out devices on all vehicles?

suki44883 06-14-2015 04:30 PM

No.

EndGameNYC 06-14-2015 04:36 PM

I don't have an answer, but I do have a question or two. Interlock devices are currently placed in automobiles in which the driver has committed a crime, often a felony, and sometimes vehicular manslaughter or homicide. Why should law-abiding citizens have to deal with the same treatment? What, besides government "interfering" with our privacy and other freedoms (for those who don't drink and drive), would be the downside?

What I'm certain of is that most if not all people who've been victimized by drunk drivers would have a lot to say about this issue.

thomas11 06-14-2015 04:42 PM

I like the idea of having them installed in cars, but make it voluntary whether or not you want to use it. If you don't drink, you shouldn't have to use the darn thing to start your car. If you do drink and think you are ok, but are too stupid to find out and get busted, well, you're busted. If you are responsible, it would be a nice tool to have to find out if you've had too much. At no point should a person not be able to start their vehicle because of such a device.

ArtFriend 06-14-2015 04:42 PM

There is an easy way around this. Find a sober person to start the car for you.

Thepatman 06-14-2015 04:42 PM

If the vehicle would cost the same, sure why not.

Aren't those machine customized to recognize the driver? If yes, only one person can drive the car? The owner?

Thepatman 06-14-2015 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5421980)
There is an easy way around this. Find a sober person to start the car for you.

Ho rap, my post was idiotic than. Yikes! LOL!

ArtFriend 06-14-2015 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 5421982)
Ho rap, my post was idiotic than. Yikes! LOL!

Huh?

Soberwolf 06-14-2015 04:47 PM

As much as i like the idea i dont think it will work

Thepatman 06-14-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5421984)
Huh?

can only the driver start the car? Does the machine profile the user for lung capacity for example? Sorry I 0 knowledgeable this.

Thepatman 06-14-2015 04:54 PM

Ok that was stupid. Found my answer.

If you get a DWI you will be required to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, and use the ignition interlock device every time you start your vehicle. The ignition interlock device will be used to prohibit you from starting your car if you have been drinking. If you have an ignition interlock device installed in your car you can still allow others to drive your vehicle, they just have to use the ignition interlock device before the car will start. Any legally licensed driver can operate your vehicle while the ignition interlock device is installed in your vehicle.

buk1000 06-14-2015 04:56 PM

I favor it, definitely.

MsJax 06-14-2015 04:59 PM

More government control, no thank you.

Sisterbobby 06-14-2015 05:09 PM

I dont think the one they use now is a great idea, maybe a blood sensor on the steering wheel or eye recognition/detector device.

EndGameNYC 06-14-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 5421998)
Ok that was stupid. Found my answer.

If you get a DWI you will be required to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, and use the ignition interlock device every time you start your vehicle. The ignition interlock device will be used to prohibit you from starting your car if you have been drinking. If you have an ignition interlock device installed in your car you can still allow others to drive your vehicle, they just have to use the ignition interlock device before the car will start. Any legally licensed driver can operate your vehicle while the ignition interlock device is installed in your vehicle.

I'm thinking that, here in New York, the Interlock checks periodically for the driver's BAC. Otherwise, someone who's been drinking can have someone else start the car and then get behind the wheel after it's been started.

For this to work, there would need to be severe penalties, greater than they currently are, for anyone who circumvents the system.

Fly N Buy 06-14-2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC (Post 5422034)
I'm thinking that, here in New York, the Interlock checks periodically for the driver's BAC. Otherwise, someone who's been drinking can have someone else start the car and then get behind the wheel after it's been started.

For this to work, there would need to be severe penalties, greater than they currently are, for anyone who circumvents the system.

Correct - the device randomly requires breathing into it while the vehicle is in transit. I do not know all the operational aspects but learned this aspect from a friends experience.

TroyW 06-14-2015 06:12 PM

No. I think the government mandates our lives more than enough already.

Saskia 06-14-2015 06:32 PM

Although I don't like government mandates, I also think that the human toll caused by drunk drivers is outrageous. Yes, I'm an alcoholic and I have never driven after drinking. I couldn't live with myself if I had an accident and someone was hurt or killed. Personally, I think that driving while drunk should be considered as a criminal act. I've seen and heard about drunk mothers with children in the car. Who could condone that?!

SoberLife90 06-14-2015 06:35 PM

No. I have one in my car but thats because u have 2 duis. I dont think everyone should have to have one if these. Not everyone is a problem drinker like myself. If you break the law yes...if not no.

alphaomega 06-14-2015 06:36 PM

In a similar vein, I have always wondered why cops dont just hang out at bars at closing time ?

It would be revenue central. And would save a lot of lives