Notices

People Pleaser..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People Pleaser..

Amazing how much effort and “mind time” I put into what everyone else was thinking about me. Am I good enough? Do they like me? My car isn’t nice enough? I’m not handsome enough.. I didn’t say that correctly… so on and so on. It was a constant struggle almost all day. Exhausting to say the least . Being sober and growing in spirit has helped me change what my mind is focusing on. Doesn’t mean it’s easy all the time but a heck of a lot better each day I continue to grow. The moment I stop learning, I’m a dead man! Grateful to be sober today!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I consistently have to remind myself that I am in competition with one person-the me I was yesterday. I actually learned that from running. When I began to run, that was repeated over and over to me.

I am so glad you posted this today. I needed to read this.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats, Seebrightly! After just over a month, I'm starting to see brighter, myself!! I have other issues now that I need to shake so this whole process can become easier for me! Good for you though! Inspirational words, for sure! xxx
Old 06-12-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
waking down

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” ― Lao Tzu
Old 06-13-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the sweet post.
When I was at my lowest, which lasted for years, I didn't care what anyone thought of me. I was a drunk. I was a self-centered alcoholic and anyone who knew me, and probably many who didn't, knew it.

Sobriety has given me the peace to accept myself as I am now. Caring, kind and considerate. At least that's my goal, but I'm sure not close to those things sometimes. I try. I also try to stop judging others and accept them for who they are.
Sobriety is so wonderful a gift. And for that, I am grateful.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this thread so far. Full of positivity!
Old 06-13-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's all about dependency. As an alcoholic I was dependent on anything or anyone that came along. I still feel that way but work at it. I no longer have a craving for alcohol. Guess too much time (27 years) has gone by. But I still brood about what folks think of me, my past "mistakes", whether they "care" at all. I displace all of this on to my dog since I feel that he really cares. But this is just another dependency. It's better than alcohol. If the dog dies you can always get another dog. It works and it's so much better than getting another drink. No one ever got pulled over for DUI (Driving Under Doggie Influence). Indeed the two times I was pulled over for exceeding the speed limit I got merely a warning since I had a beautiful dog in the back seat and the cop turned out to be a dog lover. Why not try that yourself?

W.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep.... I shared this trait and struggle.

I see myself still doing it sometimes. But the more I learn about who I am, the less concerned I am with who anyone else may think I should be.

One of the many gifts of sobriety: self love and acceptance.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” ― Lao Tzu
Too too (Tzu Tzu) true . The old Zen Master said it all!

W.