Notices

New and in need of advice

Old 06-03-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and in need of advice

Hello,

I am new on this site..I started going to face to face meeting in my area. I kind of like it. I am trying to do what everyone tells me to do in the meetings....I got a sponsor and I started step 1 with her today.

My sponsor is a very spiritual woman....and I like it because she helps me with the Higher Power thing. I am having a hard time believing there is a Higher Power....probably my ego that is still too big hehe.

Did anyone face that problem ? Having a hard time believing in a Higher Power ? If so, how did you start believing in all this ?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome newinrecovery

I'm not in AA but I have no trouble believing I'm not the most powerful force in the Universe - the support here just might be tho

D
Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Welcome, newbie. Afraid I can't help you with that AA stuff, but those folks should respond in the morning if not before. Not too many people online right now...
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! Just make something up. It does not have to be a literal higher power as most of us are taught in the existence of a higher being.
I think of Dumbo's feather- did you see that old Disney cartoon?
Everyone knew that the feather had nothing to do with Dumbo's actual ability to fly.
But what it represented got him flying.
It was simply belief that something outside of himself could make him fly. In the end, it was him.
Just make up a something or someone for you and use it as your personal Higher Power or think of it as a charm- whatever works for you.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi newinrecovery - the last meeting I was at was about a Higher Power. One guy spoke up and said he couldn't get it until he decided to make the sun his Higher Power because he could see it and feel it. He hung onto that and worked the steps and over time had a spiritual awakening. I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, newinrecovery! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, newinrecovery; glad you found us.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Newinrecovery
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try and agnostic AA meeting. Here is a link, click on your state at the bottom to see if there is a meeting near you.
http://www.agnosticaanyc.org/worldwide.html
Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I don't use AA, but it was essential to me to find a spiritual connection in order to start recovering. I was at a low point in my life and in fact I didn't see any point to life. I had to do some serious soul-searching to find the connection I needed.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Newinrecovery!!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome everyone :-)
Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For a while I used my dogs as my higher power. Now I just think of the Universe as my higher power. It's certainly bigger than I am.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For a lot of members the connection to a higher power comes after a bit of step work and hearing other peoples stories and things like that. Also, there are a lot of atheists and agnostics who work the steps or are in the program. I beleive there is an 11th step book that includes a section of stories from atheists , I wish I could remember the name of it.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So glad you found the fellowship and a sponsor. It was the best thing I ever did. EVER.

I'd focus on Step one while you're on it - there is NO mention of higher powers in that. I found the 12 and 12 really useful in learning and understanding about each step.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_step1.pdf

When you've done and dusted Step 1 - THEN go on to Step 2.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_step2.pdf

It's easy to fall into the trap of wanting to learn everything and rush ahead, but the steps are in the order that they are for a reason. The first three steps aren't difficult, but they are the foundation and bedrock for all the other work you will do so it's important to do each of them thoroughly. If you're focussing on Step 2 while you're doing Step 1, then you mightn't give step 1 the attention it needs.

Illus....

Q1) 46 - 19 =
Q2) 16 x 5 =

Both those maths questions are simple and most people could work them out in their own way if they're not rushing. But if you are thinking about Q2 while you're doing Q1, you might get it right, but it'd be a lot less likely. Worse of all - if you're a good mathematician you might presume you got it right and not even bother going back to check your answer in your eagerness to complete Q3 - Q12.

There is also a 12-step board on here that is really helpful. It has a sub-forum for each step.
Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Step Study - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There are also some great AA speaker tapes which I find really useful. You can easily search Youtube (I usually put in AA Speaker step X) to look for specific recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aa+step+1

There are also lots available to download free here (but I struggle a bit with the search facility with this as it's by person and place - still very handy though)
AA Speaker Tapes : Find Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chances

I an atheist but it wasn't an issue at all. It clearly states 'a god of you own understanding'. For me that is simple peer support - the group itself. You don't need to believe in anything more than you do so don't get caught up trying to find god or faith when all you are looking for is sobriety - through character improvement at AA with the 12 steps.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow !! Thank you for all your help. I will try to focus only on Step 1 for now :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

step 2 is a willingness

willingness to set aside your old beliefs
or

willingness to believe
that a power greater than you might exist
or
willingness to stop insisting there is no god or higher power

Do you believe those steps have worked for others? Maybe make that decision in step 3, know you are cared for while you write the 4th step inventories and move forward.....

The action of working through those steps, specifically through step 7 for me, well, that is when step 2 came alive and I began to have a belief that there might just be some power greater than me out there....It's been working for me for a little over 4 years now.....