Notices

Finally Scared

Old 06-05-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the input you've given. I've decided to try and ween, as cold turkey is just not something I can do without being committed. The urge is simply too strong.

Cut my consumption in half this week and doing fine, so... anyone have luck in weening, or do you all just go cold-turkey for the most part?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

weening or tapering never worked for me - how could I control my intake when the problem was I couldn't control my intake.?

There's a third choice besides cold turkey - why not go back and see your Dr for advice?

D
Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Weening was def not the answer for me - although I did kid myself that it might be for a while (funny - I always tended to decide that it might work just at the start of a weekend) If I could have cut down or reliably just stopped after a couple, then drinking wouldn't be an issue anyway - those first few were rarely enough. They just served to add fuel to my little alcoholic pilot light. Same as I wouldn't advise a sex addict to just pop in a strip club for half an hour to 'take the edge off' their craving or offer an addict, just a little something to do the same.

If it's getting through proper withdrawal you're worried about then you'd be safer discussing it with a professional and going through it under safe supervision. Going it alone you're likely to use you AV and your 'feelings' as your first and foremost advisors as to how much is enough / 'necessary'. Neither are to be trusted.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Every time I tried weaning myself off of wine, I was suddenly ratcheting myself right back to where I started. I met with my doctor, and he did prescribe meds for anxiety. I was fortunate not to have any symptoms with withdrawal, but doctors can prescribe meds to help you when you first stop drinking.

Good luck!!!:-)