Notices

Am I different?

Old 08-25-2004, 01:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Castaway

135??!! I'M JEALOUS! Beer really puts the pounds on.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mr X

It's never done that to me, I've been 135 lbs for years, about 5'8. Tall and Slim....
Old 08-25-2004, 01:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm curious...

...why are you posting on a recovery forum if you don't think you have a problem?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Originally Posted by Mr X
I've been 135 lbs for the past 10 years. That's the least of my worries... :wink2:
Mr. X - if you're OK with your drinking, it's not bothering anyone else, and you don't think it's affecting your health, I'm not sure what's the problem.

Sounds like you might want to check out Moderation Management if you don't want to quit altogether, but I think even they would think six a night is outside their boundaries.

Anyway, glad your feeling good. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There is a program out there called Moderation Management....not for quiting but just for cutting back. If that sounds helpful to you let me know and I'll try to dig up a link for you.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Castaway

I lost about 10 pounds when I quit drinking hard liquor a few weeks ago. Now I'm at 130 and hoping to lose 5 more. I'm only 5'4" so every pounds counts. {LOL}
Old 08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I love Beck's my local has it on tap - the full-monty 5.5% german version, very nice too. Of course I've not had one for a while! But I do miss it, I'd be lying if I said I didn't.

There's nothing better than that 'first pint' feeling at the end of a long hard day. You sit and stare at the glass for what seems ages, watching the bubbles rise slowly and the consensation build on the outside of the glass... priceless.

Deg. <-- sticking to mineral water.

It may be that a big part of the 'hitting bottom' thing is just that it's the turning point. Making the lifetime commitment to never drink again wasn't for me done in a vacuum, it's part of a much bigger commitment to change many things. Just stopping drinking for its own sake isn't really a strong enough reason, or any reason at all that's big enough to do the job.

Many people think that you have to be homeless and redundant and penniless, and destitute before you hit rock bottom. I think the more 'comfortable' peoples situation is, the less that's likely. I know many people who drink as much as I used to who don't really see themselves as having a problem - as long as they understand what their drinking may do to those near them, I don't have a problem either.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mr X

There is a program out there called Moderation Management....not for quiting but just for cutting back. If that sounds helpful to you let me know and I'll try to dig up a link for you.
Sure, that would be great.

if you're OK with your drinking, it's not bothering anyone else, and you don't think it's affecting your health, I'm not sure what's the problem.

I'm obviously on the wrong board. I should have read more into it before I started posting, I didn't think this was a total abstinence board. Sorry guys...All Apologies...
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Dan

Hey Mr X!
Welcome!
http://www.moderation.org/
It's worked for some people I'm told.
Me, I blew my chance
Glad you're here.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey looks like Dan already gave you the link I was talking about. I don't think you're on the wrong board Mr. X there is a little bit of everything around here (more abstinence that others but *shrug* to each their own right?) And I think that if you have even a small thought that you might have a problem you ought to at least get as much information as you can. That's what I'm doing here....I came because my mom is an alcoholic....and part of the reason I stay is to keep myself well informed because I think that is my best chance of not falling into the same hole that she did. Make sense?

Anyhoo I guess I just wanted to say that EVERYONE is welcome here! We just all need to be considerate of the additions that other people have even when they are different or of a different level or severity from us. Hope that link helps (thanks Dan!)
Old 08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mr X

Thanks, I'll check out that moderation.org, In the meantime I'll post here every now and then, let you guys know what's going on..Thanks again..
Old 08-25-2004, 06:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Mr. X--I am fairly certain that the wait Splendra was speaking of did not mean BODY weight.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mr X

then you won't ever know if you can or can't do it or know how you feel with out drinking or how much weight it puts on you
Nope, pretty sure I read it right, see above what Splendra wrote..
Old 08-26-2004, 05:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Sorry--I'm a little bit slow. All the drugs and alcohol I have consumed!! :sad6:
Old 08-26-2004, 06:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Mr X

No problem, I'm a little slow too, But I blame it on being Blonde... :andy:
Old 08-26-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Castaway

Well that's 2 strikes against me. {LOL}
Old 08-26-2004, 07:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Originally Posted by Mr. X
I'm obviously on the wrong board. I should have read more into it before I started posting, I didn't think this was a total abstinence board. Sorry guys...All Apologies...
Hey X - Truth be told I was feeling a little touchy last night. My problem, not yours. Sorry if I made you feel unwelcome.

Best,
Joe
Old 08-26-2004, 07:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
just j

I am alittle late in responding to this thread, but for some reason it is the beer drinking that I really relate to. I never had a problem with putting on weight and drinkin g beer (am I am female!) However, something always comes to mind....

I always drank lite beer as in Miller and then low carb sometimes...anyway, when I got up to being able to drink 8 or 9 in one day/evening (and this was NOT every night) This is when I started to worry that my body was getting used to the idea of tolerating what I was putting into it.

Anyway, I remembered being 16 (I am now 40)and in the emergency room with a broken nose that I got waterskiing. The guy in the next bed was telling the nurse that he was vomiting blood. She was questioning him about his life habits and he admitted to drinking 6 beers a night. She really got after him and suggested AA and that No wonder he was vomiting blood!!

I, at that age, could not imagine being able to drink 6 beers in one setting. I was just trying my first Miller Pony. Now, looking back on it, when I reached the point that I was drinking 4-6 almost every night at about age 35, I thought...that poor guy! He really wasn't drinking that much. Now at 40 I just got to the point where the beer was not enough. When I turned to hard liquor about a year ago, I began to realize it was becoming a problem.

Just my two cents. My brother I know drinks 4 lite beers a night and does not consider it a problem because he does not drink any more than that ever. No one else seems to consider it a problem either. Everyone is different. I do drink more than that sometimes and I think for me it is a problem. If you are not sure, you could always get your liver checked and see if it has done any damage...that may be the way to know for sure....

best, jalyn
Old 08-26-2004, 07:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
just j

Should have proofed the post! Pathetic and I apologize. j
Old 08-26-2004, 08:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Excellent idea Jalyn! I'm so glad you suggested that.