Notices

but i get A's!!

Old 08-25-2004, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

but i get A's!!

Hey everyone!! let me try this again... the first one didnt submit cause sometimes i forget important steps... like signing in. lol. ah well. well anyways what was i saying... oh yea. *ahem* I came across this site through google, and without browsing the forums or reading any posts, i can safely say this appears to be a well organized, maintained, and active forum... I give props to whoever put this together.. unless its my loud neighbors, in which case youre still not cool, and wont be until you get that damn bed fixed!!

anyways theres this lyric from this song that pretty much sums up my story. it goes something like "the teachers build retaining walls of memory. all those multiple choice questions i answered so quickly. I got my grades back and forgot just as easily. but atleast i got an 'A,' so i dont have them to blame"

I think this is a common misconception... ive heard many people say well i take care of all my responsibilites so partying is okay. I thought this for a while too, until just a few years back, probably my sophomore year in college. I was notorious for partying regularly and still bring home the A's and the name on the deans list. Now ive got this cool little framed piece of paper that says that i went to school for four years, hanging in my office at work. It was a temp job until the assignment was up, but instead of letting me go the engineers hired me on fulltime.

Point being, i keep up my responsibilites and excell (i like to think) at what I put my heart into. But I like to party, hard, and regularly. I have for about 10 years (im 23), heavily for about 7. If my life was falling apart and i was losing friends or my job or my family or anything that was important to me, Ive got a head strong enough to get me out of the scene. But everythings great!! My loving, supportive family, my life long friends, girls, whatever, chances are if you name it, its not so bad. But up in my head, man, no good. lol. And the thing is, im not addicted to anything in particular, just the whole scene. I do some thing more than others, but if i dont have this, then that will work... alot of times just a cigarette is all i need. I know that I need to get out of the scene, but I really enjoy it.

Anyways, thats where I come from. Im very open-minded and considerate of everone I know. Accusations aside, I dont know the style of the boards (cause im lazy and wanted to post before I read) but I didnt come here for people to fanatically preach to me how much i need to stop, or how I need to become more spiritual, but I am definately open to any comments, or suggestions, or conversations.

Im also very supportive by nature, so im open to talk about whatever with anyone!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yay i got a reply!! oh wait, its me.. Doh

well i was reading over my post after i submitted it, and it goes back to what I was thinking while i wrote that post... My friends and family would be the first to help me if they though i needed it... but they dont see it!! everything is peach from the outside

I know im responsible and im certainly not placing blame, but damn, an accomplishment like this??? solo? i dunno!! lol..
Old 08-25-2004, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Good points

think on this though... If you are doing good but the drinking has you only putting out 50% and not drinking would have you put out 99%...

Where do you stand? Is good enough, just getting by, they say it is ok,well I am not as bad as the next guy, I am better then them even at 50% output...

What it comes down to... where do you want to be?
Doing the very best you are able to do or at the other end....just getting by. Or some place in the middle?
What I think and what you want may not be the same. It comes down to what you think and what you want. Your choices
Old 08-25-2004, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Welcome BE (I'm lazy and don't like to write out the whole name)LOL. Well, you will not get any preaching from me LOL,but I'm glad your here in SR and give you ((((((((huggys))))))))). Look around and see any forum you might like to post on. Me personlly always have jumped in with both feet. Ask questions,post your feelings,but remember this is a public message board and you'll get feed back. This is a great place and most of the time warm and friendly people. Best there is one of the good guys!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Brighteyes, and welcome!
You've found a great online community.
I look forward to your contributions.
Supporting eachother is what it's all about. When we give respect, it is returned to us in equal measures.
Glad you're here
Old 08-26-2004, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Brighteyes,
Glad you posted. It's good to see the world from different perspectives. It helps me keep mine. {LOL} Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello, Brighteyes, and welcome to SR. I know where you are coming from. I also got good grades, had a good job, a nice apartment, all the good stuff. No one I worked with knew there was a problem. Thing is, there WAS a problem. I ended up losing my job. Luckily, that was all it took for me to realize that I didn't want to live that way anymore.

Keep posting--some will preach, others will not. We're just glad you are here.

Hugs to you--
Old 08-26-2004, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey there and welcome to SR!
I can relate to your story in many ways, but for me all the things you mentioned started to disappear and the progression was pretty quick. Fast enough to make my head spin! I went from being on the Dean's List my Freshman year to having to sell my (nice and ONLY) furniture in my apartment a few years later and enduring the pain and boredom of giving plasma just so I could have a few bucks for some more booze.
Everyone has their own "bottom", some worse than others...and not everyone has to go as far down as the next person. But, I liked what Best had to say. Are you where you're at, as far as living to your fullest potential? Only you can answer that question, and I know that everyone knows the answer to it as long as they're willing to listen to and pay attention to how they're feeling.
Again, welcome and I look forward to reading your posts and gaining insight on your experiences.

Danielle
Old 08-26-2004, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi BE
Welcome to SR.
My name is Kel and I am an alcoholic.
I spent my 20's partying and having a great time.
I spent my thirties battling the fight of my life,
trying to get sober. It almost killed me.
It is great that you are questioning it now.
Glad you are here.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by brighteyes
I give props to whoever put this together..
...an addict named Jon, awesome, isn't it what we can accomplish!

I got my grades back and forgot just as easily. but atleast i got an 'A,' so i dont have them to blame"
... we all can fool even ourselves, i have two degrees and working on a third, and I'm STILL a full blown alcoholic.

I think this is a common misconception... ive heard many people say well i take care of all my responsibilites so partying is okay.

Your right a common misconception

Point being, i keep up my responsibilites and excell (i like to think) at what I put my heart into. But I like to party, hard, and regularly. I have for about 10 years (im 23), heavily for about 7. If my life was falling apart and i was losing friends or my job or my family or anything that was important to me, Ive got a head strong enough to get me out of the scene. But everythings great!! My loving, supportive family, my life long friends, girls, whatever, chances are if you name it, its not so bad.
I fooled myself for years believing the same!

But up in my head, man, no good. lol.
........yup, that little voice will get louder!

And the thing is, im not addicted to anything in particular, just the whole scene. I do some thing more than others, but if i dont have this, then that will work... alot of times just a cigarette is all i need. I know that I need to get out of the scene, but I really enjoy it.
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

I didnt come here for people to fanatically preach to me how much i need to stop, or how I need to become more spiritual, but I am definately open to any comments, or suggestions, or conversations.
We won't preach, we'll listen, and we sure won't tell ya what you want to hear!

Welcome to SR!