Notices

My Journey - Day 1

Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kgr

My Journey - Day 1

Today is day 1 for me. I've struggled with alcohol for years, but never admitted to being an alcoholic to myself, or especially to anyone else. I know I'm an alcoholic. It took my husband saying the words out loud for me to admit it. It's embarrassing to me. That's partly why I haven't gotten the help I know I truly need to beat this lifelong disease. I can't live and continue to drink. Not only because I truly will die, but I cannot live with the shame and embarrassment. I can't live with the paranoid thoughts, anxiety, panic attacks. I never had those things before I became a hardcore alcoholic (waking up at 6 am on the weekends and the first thing pour a glass of wine). Hard liquor, too. I don't discriminate. I want sobriety so badly. For myself and my husband and our two year old beautiful daughter. I'm starting a new job, in a new state, where I can be whoever I want to be. I'm anxious about all of these changes, and they cause me to panic, but if I can stay sober, I know life will be great. Please say a prayer for me to stay strong. And let me know what's helped you in your journeys. I will be starting AA meetings once I arrive in the new state.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You've come to a good place to help you in your journey to sobriety. There is a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here. Please post often and don't be afraid to ask for help!

Do be aware that withdrawing from alcohol can have some serious physical effects. It's always a good idea to talk to a doctor about your quitting.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I will keep you in my prayers and ask for strength for you to beat this addiction.

What helped me the most was finally wanting to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, you can do this.. you're in my prayers, good luck with the new job and new start in life!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on quitting.

Maybe moving to a new state will be a help as you won't have familiar people and places that you are used to drinking with or in.

Going to AA sounds like you are definitely serious and coming here is a good place for support and advice.

Good luck kgr
Old 05-22-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why wait til you move--hit a meeting tonight
Old 05-22-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Maybe moving to a new state will be a help as you won't have familiar people and places that you are used to drinking with or in"
Ditto this! I am moving (albeit across town) and starting a new job myself, I have a great newer boyfriend (7 months) and do not want to ruin that relationship. So I take it as a chance to be a better me. I have a 6 yr old so I know the self blame and guilt you feel. Its hard being a mom and alcohol is an easy way to step out of all the chaos. I am new to no alcohol myself, its not easy but you know what, you carried a baby around for 40 weeks and gave birth- those are no small feats. Keep your chin up!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kgr

Definitely not the worst withdrawal I've ever experienced, so I think I'll be okay going cold turkey. Actually, i feel eerily calm. I would hit a meeting tonight, but we're only 4 hours into a 20 hour drive. I will keep you posted on day two. Brothers graduation party... I WILL resist the urge to have even one sip of alcohol.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Have a safe trip and keep checking in! We're here to help.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome kgr - congratulations on your first day. You'll find this to be an encouraging place as you begin your sober life. I was drinking in the morning too - and all day in the end. It feels great to be free of it.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
kgr

Day 2

Day 2, at my brother's graduation. Having a little anxiety, but nothing I can't deal with. Later is the graduation party, with lots of alcohol. I know I can stay strong even being around so much drinking. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the support!
Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard kgr

D