Notices

Coping with PTSD

Old 05-21-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coping with PTSD

I started to post this in someone else's thread, but I decided to create a new one in case others find it helpful. I had a PTSD-ish diagnosis as a teenager and young adult. My problem was not as extreme as full-blown PTSD, but it had many of the same characteristics. The one I want to address is that I would replay bad memories over and over in my head (even at night in my dreams--I would wake up crying or screaming).

After many years of therapy, and after I started to feel better, I realized I was endlessly talking about my bad experiences with my psychiatrist, but I didn't have enough good memories to counteract them. I got some inspiration from As Good As It Gets. Specifically, this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8shdlcJjAJ8

I decided to create what I call "noodle salad" moments. It meant saying "no" to social situations where 1) I was only doing it out of a sense of obligation, 2) I was going to be around someone that had a reasonable chance of causing me stress, or 3) I just wasn't interested in the activity. I did things that made me happy instead. Self-indulgent things. I made sure the people I would be around wouldn't stress me out with their bad behavior or neediness or whatever. If that wasn't possible, I did things alone. Basically, it meant being selfish at times for my own sanity.

Once I had some happy memories to relive, I found it easier to give back. I also found it easier to make friends. People like being around people who do fun things.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that GHD - some really good practical advice there I think
D
Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post!!

I had a trauma then some bad experiences in my teens too. I wasn't as thoughtful or deliberate as you about getting better, but we seem to have arrived at the same place. Feels pretty good, eh?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been trying to stay sober but I believe that not dealing with traumatic experiences from my past is hindering me. When I'm sober I have to remember what happened even though it was years ago. I thought it would go away if enough time passed. I was told I have PTSD. I'm getting therapy so I can finally move forward and stay sober.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is some good advice right here! Thanks for posting it

My therapist told me not to panic and for me not to focus on the word 'ptsd' TOO much, she has dealt with ex soldiers and police and so forth and told me to keep positive and take hope that it WILL be dealt with!

Then after I have been ' healed ' or whatever we are goona work on getting me into the real world and think about career I would like etc

Again thanks for the post
Old 05-22-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine1919 View Post
I have been trying to stay sober but I believe that not dealing with traumatic experiences from my past is hindering me. When I'm sober I have to remember what happened even though it was years ago. I thought it would go away if enough time passed. I was told I have PTSD. I'm getting therapy so I can finally move forward and stay sober.
There is a time component, I think. The first five years were the worst for me. I saw a psychiatrist for many years. Glad to hear that you are seeing a therapist as well.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
This is some good advice right here! Thanks for posting it

My therapist told me not to panic and for me not to focus on the word 'ptsd' TOO much, she has dealt with ex soldiers and police and so forth and told me to keep positive and take hope that it WILL be dealt with!

Then after I have been ' healed ' or whatever we are goona work on getting me into the real world and think about career I would like etc

Again thanks for the post
Yeah, I think there are many shades and degrees of PTSD and related disorders. My problems were nothing compared to some. For a long time, I thought of myself as just " weak" emotionally.

Careful, my psychiatrist shipped me off to graduate school. I guess she thought it would keep my brain busy in a productive way rather than reliving old memories. There were no drugs to treat PTSD back when I was in therapy.